The Truth About Hair...

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Truth About Hair...

Post by Nahemah »

Very interesting article. [thumbup]

"SOTT can't confirm this story or the research it suggests took place, however, we have wondered on many occasions, what is the use of hair and why so many legends refer to hair as being a source of strength, from Samson, to Nazarenes, to the Long Haired Franks. "

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/23478 ... -Hair-Long

Parvati
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The Truth About Hair...

Post by Parvati »

Thanks for the link, but did anyone know that if a woman did anything that was classed as sexually deviant she would have her hair forcibly shaved off. This happened after France was liberated in World War Two and also in certain nunneries, this barbaric act was a typical punishment. See The Magdelene Sisters please. [mad]

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The Truth About Hair...

Post by Nahemah »

That is an excellent point Parvati.
This punishment affects women's self confidence/esteem greatly and it's higly visible so everyone knows. Attitudes towards women without hair do seem to be negative generally,in the most part,at least until very recently.

I 'm thinking about cancer sufferers who lose their hair,it is a sensitive issue and it does cause distress and discomfort for the victim.

My grandmother lost most of ther hair due to a thyroid illness and she never acknowledged it publicly and neither did anyone else around her.She wore a wig and it was obvious to me as my gran couldn't possible still have Auburn locks at her age and I saw her a few times without it [with a headscarf wrapped round her head,granted] My gran would not countenance any discussion on the subject.It was viewed as embarrassing and perhaps even shameful.
I never understood that,she was ill and she suffered,why be ashamed of something you can't help and didn't cause?

It would seem like this,stereoptypically :

male hair = virility and strength.

female hair=beauty and sexual attractiveness.

There are so many rules and taboos about hair,in Christianity I think of Roman Catholicism and the mantilla head covering for women/girls,because I can remember having to wear one and I didn't like it.[it was scratchy,lol]

Look at Islam with the covering of female hair also.

Judaism has similar too,with orthodox women covering/cutting off their own hair and with the men's distinctive hairstyle.

Then in Sikhism, the taboo against cutting hair.

It 's all very interesting also in thinking about sympathetic magicks and the uses for hair found in witchcraft and charms etc.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Return to “News and Politics”