What does your name mean?

Announce your presence, if you will.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

What does your name mean?

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

If you wish to share the reason why you have chosen your name, please feel free to do so below. If you have no real reason for choosing it, but would like to tell others what the name means, please feel free to do so here too.

The Clockwork Ghost is a character from a story I one wrote. He travels through town completely invisible to all the other residents, trying to get someone's attention. Nobody can see him however, and he simply drifts along without any purpose for even existing - a ghost adrift in a sea of humanity. Each morning he winds himself up with a big brass key, and then slowly winds down over the course of the day, before running out of energy and going back to sleep again.

I am a Clockwork Ghost. Each morning I wake up half dead from the anti-psychotics I use to get to sleep, I wind myself up through meditation, then go out in to the world - full of energy. I am a nobody, I do a nothing job - I could be anyone. Nobody sees me because I hide in plain sight, just the same as everyone else. I then wind down over the course of the day, my mechanism slowly unravelling, until I come to a complete stop once more.

How about you?

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: What does your name mean?

Post by Maya The Generator »

This nick is a joke.
Maya(illusion?) - my nick name for friends
The Generator = degeneration - you could say when I was younger I had this touch. Touch to make every one around me willingly go to the world of illusions. U know, drugs...
The Generator = Many teachers and people with some "perception" often said my capacity is quiet special. On a normal day I enjoy sharing my energies with everything around me. There is enourmous change in people on a party with me or without me, I guarantee.
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

It's the name of the intro tune from a Grooverider album called Mysteries of Funk - very dark, jazzy, and mystical dnb from 1998/99 that emotionally and thematically fits the flavor of my experiences of the astral world and astral light like a glove. For whatever reason the side of the astral I seem to bond to is a dark, starry sort of place filled with jazz art, masonic checkerboards, gold and silver masks, planets and asteroids, etc. and the motion of the elements themselves have the kind of angular momentum and musculature that you'd find in the sort of tricks, stunts, and leaps of dnb or jazz breaks. I talked to a lady and explained seeing lines of liquid silver that I'd be traveling down and where the junctures would seem to burst outward like liquid splashes - she suggested it was the rainbow of the Merkabah? Whatever that was I could clearly feel that scintillating to these kinds of beats.

I'm only posting this one because it's my namesake - not the crown jewel of the album necessarily but it gives a good hint of what's there:
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ramscha »

My name is an anagram of the german version of ashram (germ. Aschram) which describes a hindu monastry or hermitage or a center of hinduistic spiritual activity with meditation, Yoga and other stuff. It is a place to center yourself.
It comes from the sanscrit root srama which roughly means means "a place of effort and exertion".

Ramscha
bye bye

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

I was listening to Therion when I found this forum, and the song playing was named "Eternal Return". I found afterwards from the user Nemiel that this is a Nietzsche's concept that closely resembles the thoughts of Eckhart Tolle in his book "The Power of Now" which I was reading at the time. This was my entry into the magical thinking [grin]

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

When I first signed up for an occult forum years ago, I sat back in my seat and meditated, seeking a name that would portray me truly. After a few minutes, I got the name Shinichi. It wasn't until several months later, when I was studying Japanese and Kotodama, that I actually learned what it meant.

Shinichi is written with two Kanji. Shin is Heart, or Soul - it is Emotion as much as it is Energy. Ichi is the number One. Together, Shinichi means something to the effect of "One Soul," reflecting the desire that I had at the time to experience Self-Realization and the universal Oneness to everything that it promised.

This is also why I always sign my messages with ~:Shin:~. My signature is not just a formality, it is a sigil and an exercise in Kotodama. It is a promise that I have spoken from my heart and soul with honesty and sincerity, and it is a prayer for my sincerity and the meaning behind my words to be conveyed even if the language itself fails me.

I have carried many names and many titles over the years, but Shinichi has come to be one of those most important to me.

~:Shin:~

akimbomoss
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by akimbomoss »

My name is kind of a strange happening like the others. I was creating some kind of an anagram from the names of my advocates (guardian, soul gatherer, animal). Some other words came out of like bomos that I didn't know about. Bomos means altar in greek and I would meet somebody later who was greek that helped me. Akimbo means bent but I kind of thought it meant using 2 of something like an akimbo assassin but it's because their arms are bent. So I thought for a while having 2 altars was something I had to do and I kind of did it for a while before changing my mind.

JohnTitor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by JohnTitor »

John Titor, was a paradoxical name discovered by a time traveler in an anime "Steins;Gate." The main character accidentally discovered time travel and in turn created a new string of reality. This in turn spurned a time traveler from the future (unrealized at the time of occurrence) to come back to time to stop him from giving his technology to a certain corporation (ironically SERN- a real entity and the godfathers of the internet as we know it- who just so happen to ACTUALLY possess the worlds largest hadron-collider that is capable of producing miniature black holes). The main character is a mad scientist by the name of Rintaro who dubbed himself Houoin Kyoma (not knowing that he had caused this nickname by the millions of different strings created in which returning to the original his friend met him while trying to save him from disappearing from existence, calling him houoin). Rintaro was reading a collective series on time travel by an author who went by JohnTitor on internet forums and published their works as JohnTitor. This formed the foundation for which Rintaro discovered time travel. ironically the thing never would have happened if not for his accidentally discovering time travel. They met the time traveler later and discovered this was the John Titor (unwittingly of course RECREATING the circumstance for Titors appearance and Rintaros demise.) Thus the paradox. w/o titor, rintaro would have never discovered time travel, but without rintaro's research, titor would never have existed to publish the theories.

The name implies that awareness is paradoxical.
Creation is our gift, yet we seek only destruction. We have the ability to achieve greatness and mold our very existence into that which we desire- only to writhe in our perceived notions of existence and preconceived limitations set forth by our predecessors. Let us go forth together and create something wondrous and unique~
----------------------
"If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place."
Lao Tsu

Candy Ray
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Candy Ray »

I put mine on this discussion yesterday, was that what gave you the idea, Clockwork Ghost?

http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewto ... 50&t=33391
See my blog for micro-fiction, poems, a few weird articles and links to my books: https://candyrayblog.wordpress.com

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frumens »

It doesn't mean anything. It's derived from one of the Latin words for grain, frumentum, but has no meaning itself. If I remember correctly, I wanted it to be Frumen, but that was taken, so I added an s at the end. Frumen also doesn't mean anything, at least in Latin.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Bluebeard
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bluebeard »

Bluebeard. From the legend of Gilles de Rais. Everyone knows about it, i suppose... How a talented young nobleman, decorated war hero, full of potential society member, lost someone special to him and beyond his reach (by order of the "holy" church he so devoutly believed in), went mad and did all horrors that are so well known, surviving up to now. At least this is the version/viewpoint/analysis i choose to believe into; for many reasons that i am going to omit.

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frumens »

Bluebeard wrote:Bluebeard. From the legend of Gilles de Rais. Everyone knows about it, i suppose... How a talented young nobleman, decorated war hero, full of potential society member, lost someone special to him and beyond his reach (by order of the "holy" church he so devoutly believed in), went mad and did all horrors that are so well known, surviving up to now. At least this is the version/viewpoint/analysis i choose to believe into; for many reasons that i am going to omit.
Is he a pirate?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Bluebeard
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bluebeard »

Frumens wrote:
Bluebeard wrote:Bluebeard. From the legend of Gilles de Rais. Everyone knows about it, i suppose... How a talented young nobleman, decorated war hero, full of potential society member, lost someone special to him and beyond his reach (by order of the "holy" church he so devoutly believed in), went mad and did all horrors that are so well known, surviving up to now. At least this is the version/viewpoint/analysis i choose to believe into; for many reasons that i am going to omit.
Is he a pirate?
Pirates were Blackbeard and Redbeard. Both with their own legends. Bluebeard was a nasty piece of work. And i can hardly judge or blame him.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Bluebeard wrote: Pirates were Blackbeard and Redbeard. Both with their own legends. Bluebeard was a nasty piece of work. And i can hardly judge or blame him.
For anyone who wants to explore the story of Bluebeard, the Wikipedia entry is a good place to start: Bluebeard - the French folktale [thumbup]

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I was trying to come up with a name that was distinctive and easy to type/remember without having any special meaning attached to it, found myself looking around my room for ideas, and saw a copy of a book from my childhood "Rowan of Rin."
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Rin wrote:I was trying to come up with a name that was distinctive and easy to type/remember without having any special meaning attached to it, found myself looking around my room for ideas, and saw a copy of a book from my childhood "Rowan of Rin."
For ages I thought you were called Ren [grin]
how-to-draw-ren_1_000000002939_5.jpg

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

I am the Champion cyberdemon, born One from many Adventure cyberdemons. One is part of the current Elite Four. The other three are Copy, Chemist and Annoyed cyberdemons respectively.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by manofsands »

My last name is Sands.
I use to try for Sandman as a username, but it was often taken.
One time passing thru Lexington, Kentucky I passed Man o' War Boulevard... and I thought, manosands or manofsands.

I've used it ever since. It's never taken :)
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

there is no need to push the river... it will flow on its own

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

This is quite possibly my new favourite thread. [grin]

I remember Rowan of Rin! That is awesome.

Eremita is latin for Hermit. The Hermit has always been one of my favourite Tarot cards. I'm a bit of a loner by nature. The gorgeous Hermit of the Thoth deck is also my avatar picture. -->

Liberator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Liberator »

By Liberator, I align myself with Liberation currently. Removing the barriers and restrictions created by people, rebelling against "norm" and dismantling it if possible. Overcoming boundaries if possible, ultimate goal if possible one day though very unlikely would be free movement and seeing for all between the barrier of this world and the other.

Liberation from the rigid structure and ever more growing coldness of the ways of the current society and its system. This means things like democratization of workplaces, giving a huge variety of choices for those in education rather than skills demanded by those such as employers considered "practical". The overthrow of and liberation from our problems too which includes their cause. The end of rigidness and removal of harmful or flawed order.

Maybe Chaos for good as you call it. Current way of doing things I'm following.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Singer of pleasant songs, daughter of the dusk. First among weavers, sister of Tubal.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Haqim
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haqim »

I love this type of topics, too. :D

Haqim means "Wise" in Arabic.

I had no idea what username should I choose, so I picked a character from Vampire: the Masquerade.
Haqim is an ancient vampire who founded the warrior clan called Assamite.
Many of them follows the Path of Blood, which states that all the vampires all evil, and Assamites (yeah, they're paradoxically vampires, too) should destroy them; by taking their blood and becoming more and more powerful in the process.

I think it's like the symbol of ouroboros: the snake that eats itself.
I know, it's a really complex alchemical symbol, but hey... it's just a username, right? :)
"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."

Urscumug
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Urscumug »

Mine is the name of a "magickal" character in the Mythago Wood novel by Robert Holdstock.

Jarring
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jarring »

jar·ring
ˈjäriNG/
adjective
incongruous in a striking or shocking way; clashing.
"the telephone struck a jarring note in those Renaissance surroundings"
causing a physical shock, jolt, or vibration.
"the truck came to a jarring halt"

I actually created this as my first online screen name when I first got the internet as a child. It's a combination of my first and last name.

I've used it for about 18 years.

Goði
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Goði »

My username is Goði, and I sign my posts as Runar.

A Goði is a chieftan/priest of the Old Norse. Runar means "one that carves Runes".

Pretty simple & straight-forward [cool]

~ Runar

Return to “Introductions”