New here and have questions

Announce your presence, if you will.

mordridius
Forum Member
Forum Member

New here and have questions

Post by mordridius »

I am very interested in knowing more about the hermetic tradition, kabbalah, Magick etc. A little on me. I'm 45, live in Massachusetts and have in the past few years really delved into the eastern traditions....Buddhism, meditation etc. 25 years ago I was initiated into the OTO in Ireland but my long term relationship fell apart around this time and she was part of the Order, so I ran away as far as I could get from the group and her and started travelling, backpacking around the world trying to find myself. I landed here and started a family and became a productive, hard working member of society, but something is lacking.
I am very interested in spiritual things, but not fluff and the New Age movement that seems to be all around me. My question is, where do I begin? What first step do I take in the form of literature, groups etc. There is so much on the web nowadays that I don't want to run down a rabbit hole and waste time running blind. Any help would be appreciated.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: New here and have questions

Post by Desecrated »

mordridius wrote:My question is, where do I begin? What first step do I take in the form of literature, groups etc. There is so much on the web nowadays that I don't want to run down a rabbit hole and waste time running blind. Any help would be appreciated.
That kinda depends on what you are after.
I'm not trying to be funny or rude to you, but as you said, the internet is huuuuge and you have to narrow your searches down.
So what do you really want to know?

mordridius
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by mordridius »

I suppose if I were to simplify it and boil it down to two words, ritual magick.

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

Hello and welcome Mordridius.
I had imagined the OTO was steeped in hermeticism and kabbalah.

My personal recommmendation would be for a sadly out-of-print book, but which is usually available from places like Abe books (not that I like promoting any arm of the UK tax-dodging bar-stewards empire we call Amazon [mad] )

David Conway - Magic: An Occult Primer See here for a USA copy

Hope this helps

EDIT: I also recent recommended a beginners ritual book, available in e-book form from a UK outfit of good renown
Candle Magick Spell Book

ErebusNamtar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ErebusNamtar »

Welcome to the forums Mordridius!

The High Magick books by Ralph Tegtmeier AKA Frater U.D. are pretty accessible. Just start with the first one; High Magick: Theory and Practice. You might need to Google a few concepts here and there if you are a true beginner but it's worth it for the no-frills, non-dogmatic approach he takes and tons of practical advice.

mordridius
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by mordridius »

Thank you guys. Atm I'm reading Donald Michael Kraig
Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts. Yes the oto was steeped in Kabbala and hermeticism but I was a teenager and not very aware of what was going on. In short, I hadn't a clue and it was for a short time. I couldn't quite grasp was Crowley was saying. But thank you so much for the recommendations.

mordridius
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by mordridius »

Oh and what about some good podcasts on the subject. I'm a better listener than reader

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

Welcome [thumbup]

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

A very short book that is like hermetics 101 is "the kybalion" by the 3 initiates.

A longer piece that goes into more detail with lots of examples is...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Emerald-Table ... 0140195718

Return to “Introductions”