What is an Angel?

findingtruth
Forum Member
Forum Member

What is an Angel?

Post by findingtruth »

Hello!

So I always try to do a quick topic search but I didn't see anything explaining this. So what exactly is an angel? I don't believe that the Judeo-Christian God is the all powerful creator of the universe and always associated these beings with him. Are they separate entities? What is their purpose? If I am not monotheistic am I unable to contact these beings?

findingtruth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: What is an Angel?

Post by findingtruth »

Also, can anyone refer me to any books that would be useful?

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ramscha »

Angels are religious figures with zoroastric-sumerian background. The concept of "angel" is dated back somewhere between 2000-3000 BC, if I remember correctly. From there it moved further west and developed as well as was assimilated into other religions.

The "purpose" of angel is hidden in its name. Latin root "angelus" meaning "messenger" it should be quite obvious what their basic purpose is thought to be.
bye bye

Vovi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vovi »

Hmm, for me it is a force of the creative structure of the universe. Some may also call our guides angels I suppose.
In most cases it seems to depend on the angle of perception. It's never a good idea to reveal too much on an open forum though : )

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

The minds need for putting a personification on any positive influence/force or energy they can't explain.

If you want to get into angels. John Dee is the obvious choice. Or obvious must maybe.

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by manofsands »

Has anyone heard them concidered the highest form of elementals?
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

there is no need to push the river... it will flow on its own

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ramscha »

manofsands wrote:Has anyone heard them concidered the highest form of elementals?
Why the highest?
bye bye

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by manofsands »

In some schools of thought elementals evolve too. But I might be getting mixed up with Devas... or are they the same thing.
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

there is no need to push the river... it will flow on its own

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

It should be considered that, when looking at the spiritual beings (spirits and gods alike) a particular cosmology, the local context of those spirits is vitally important. Universalism can be applied in a certain perspective, but if you look only at the bigger picture and ignore the context of what you're looking at, you fail to learn a whole hell of a lot.

In Judeo-Christianity, on a base cosmological level, all spirits are divided into two categories: Demons are those who live in "The World," and Angels are those who live above it. It is for this reason that Demonology, via work such as The Lemegeton, can yield great power over material knowledge and events; and by working with Angels, you can often learn things that relate more to The Mysteries and Mysticism - a Demon will usually (but not always) encourage you to pursue power, an Angel will usually (but not always) encourage you to pursue Wisdom. This is also why many of the spirits of The Goetia are deities of older religions -- although they are deities in those religions, in the Judeo-Christian cosmology (and in other cosmologies, such as the Neo-Platonic), a deity is a ruler "of" The World and is thus in it. This makes them a Demon rather than an Angel, cosmologically.

But outside the Judeo-Christian paradigm, there are many other ways to categorize spirits. A Jew or Christian would probably call all Djinn demons, but most Muslims don't really consider them that. In my Norse work I'm around The Dead, Dwarves, Alfs, and the spirits of Minerals, Plants and Animals just to name a few. The Judeo-Christian Paradigm would name all of these creatures Demons (and they did so, when Christianity tried to wipe out the old ways from Europe), but to me there is a massive difference between a Dwarf and Marchosias. Marchosias, although I like him, is completely foreign to my native work.

If you don't want to work with Angels, or you don't want to think of all Angel-ish spirits as Angels, then just look for another paradigm where things are more detailed and less Black & White. Judeo-Christianity, for all its influence on the modern world, is not the only system of magic of spirituality around.

Oh, and one more thing. Let us not forget that Angels and Demons were originally the same race of beings. The only real difference is one group does what they want, and the other group does what God wants.
manofsands wrote:Has anyone heard them concidered the highest form of elementals?
I know that Hermeticism has a bad habit of dumping everything together, but I find that particular approach rather silly. Elementary Spirits (and this particular article, being Christian influenced, does mention the Angel thing) are nature spirits that have roots in Neo-Platonic and Greek Mysticism, which originally has no concept of "Angels" -- at least in the sense of Judeo-Christian Angels. Those who are strictly Christian might throw on the Angel-Demon labels or other Christian cosmology as appropriate (as Abbé de Villars did), but even in systems of Hermetics where both are used (like here, or even the Golden Dawn work), they are most often very different beings, and if anything Angels are usually ranked much higher than elementary spirits on the spirit hierarchy.

To best understand the elementary spirits, my best suggestion is to focus on the spirits themselves and their elemental mysteries. If you earn their favor, they themselves can help you understand their nature, and if you wish to study them then the best place to start is with Greek wisdom and the nature of the Four Elements. The extra bits that are often written down are only necessary if you are a Christian or a Kabbalist, and even then I'm really hesitant to use the word necessary.

~:Shin:~

Elysia
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Elysia »

I think that they are egregors

I meditate on the 72 angels from Kabbalah
The 72-fold name[edit]
The "72-fold name" is highly important to Sefer Raziel,[5][7] and a key (but often missing) component to the magical practices in The Lesser Key of Solomon.[8] It is derived from Exodus 14:19-21,[2][4][5][6] read boustrophedonically[3][8] to produce 72 names of three letters. This method was expounded with no difficulty by Rashi, apparently widely known throughout the Geonic period.[5] Kabbalist and occultist legends state that the 72-fold name was used by Moses to cross the Red Sea, and that it can grant later holymen the power to control demons, heal the sick, prevent natural disasters, and even kill enemies.[6]

The 72-fold name is mentioned by Roger Bacon, who complained about a book titled Liber semamphoras, more specifically the linguistic corruption that occurred in translating Hebrew to Latin.[9] The angels of the Shemhamphorash factored heavily into the cosmology of Johann Reuchlin[10] influencing Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa[3] and Athanasius Kircher.[10] Thomas Rudd featured the 72 angels in his magic,[2] as a balancing force against the evil spirits of the Ars Goetia[8] or in isolation.[11] Rudd's material on the Shemhamphorash was later copied and expanded by Blaise de Vigenère, whose manuscripts were in turn used by Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers in his works for the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.[8]

Angels of the Shemhamphorash[edit]
Angel[12][13][14] Ruling angel
(per Ambelain)[12]

Order (per
Ambelain)[12]

Invocatory
verse[12][13]

Demon ruled
(per Rudd)[14]

1. Vehuiah Metatron Seraphim Psalms 3:3 Bael
2. Jelial Metatron Seraphim Psalms 22:19 Agares
3. Sitael Metatron Seraphim Psalms 91:2 Vassago
4. Elemiah Metatron Seraphim Psalms 6:4 Gamigin
5. Mahasiah Metatron Seraphim Psalms 34:4 Marbas
6. Lehahel Metatron Seraphim Psalms 9:11 Valefar
7. Achaiah Metatron Seraphim Psalms 103:8 Aamon
8. Cahetel Metatron Seraphim Psalms 95:6 Barbatos
9. Haziel Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 25:6 Paimon
10. Aladiah Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 33:22 Buer
11. Lauviah Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 18:46 Gusion
12. Hahaiah Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 10:1 Sitri
13. Iezalel Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 98:4 Beleth
14. Mehahel Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 9:9 Leraje
15. Hariel Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 94:22 Eligor
16. Hakamiah Jophiel Cherubim Psalms 88:1 Zepar
17. Lauviah Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 8:9 Botis
18. Caliel Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 35:24 Bathin
19. Leuviah Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 40:1 Saleos
20. Pahaliah Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 120:1-2 Purson
21. Nelchael Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 31:14 Morax
22. Ieiaiel Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 121:5 Ipos
23. Melahel Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 121:8 Aim
24. Haniniah Zaphkiel Thrones Psalms 33:18 Naberus
25. Nilaihah Zadkiel Dominations [sic] Psalms 9:1 Glasya-Labolas
26. Haaiah Zadkiel Dominations Psalms 119:145 Bune
27. Ierathel Zadkiel Dominations Psalms 140:1 Ronove
28. Seehiah Zadkiel Dominations Psalms 71:12 Berith
29. Reiiel Zadkiel Dominations Psalms 54:4 Astaroth
30. Omael Zadkiel Dominations Psalms 71:5 Forneus
31. Lecahel Zadkiel Dominations Psalms 71:16 Foras
32. Yasariah Zadkiel Dominations Psalms 33:4 Asmodeus
33. Ieuiah Kamael Powers Psalms 94:11 Gaap
34. Lehahaiah Kamael Powers Psalms 131:3 Furfur
35. Chavakiah Kamael Powers Psalms 116:1 Marchosias
36. Menadel Kamael Powers Psalms 26:8 Stolas
37. Aniel Kamael Powers Psalms 80:3 Phenex
38. Haamiah Kamael Powers Psalms 91:9 Halphas
39. Rehael Kamael Powers Psalms 30:10 Malphas
40. Ieiazel Kamael Powers Psalms 88:14 Raum
41. Hahael Raphael Virtues Psalms 120:2 Focalor
42. Mikael Raphael Virtues Psalms 121:7 Vepar
43. Veualiah Raphael Virtues Psalms 88:13 Sabnock
44. Ielahiah Raphael Virtues Psalms 119:108 Shax
45. Sealiah Raphael Virtues Psalms 94:18 Vine
46. Ariel Raphael Virtues Psalms 145:9 Bifrons
47. Asaliah Raphael Virtues Psalms 92:5 Vual
48. Mihael Raphael Virtues Psalms 98:2 Haagenti
49. Vehuel Haniel Principalities Psalms 145:3 Crocell
50. Daniel Haniel Principalities Psalms 145:8 Furcas
51. Hahasiah Haniel Principalities Psalms 104:31 Balam
52. Imamiah Haniel Principalities Psalms 7:17 Allocer
53. Nanael Haniel Principalities Psalms 119:75 Caim
54. Nilhael Haniel Principalities Psalms 103:19 Murmur
55. Mehaiah Haniel Principalities Psalms 102:12 Orobas
56. Poiel Haniel Principalities Psalms 145:14 Gremory
57. Nemamiah Michael Archangels Psalms 115:11 Ose
58. Ieialel Michael Archangels Psalms 6:3 Auns
59. Harael Michael Archangels Psalms 113:3 Orias
60. Mitzrael Michael Archangels Psalms 145:17 Vapula
61. Umahel Michael Archangels Psalms 113:2 Zagan
62. Iahhel Michael Archangels Psalms 119:159 Valac
63. Ananel Michael Archangels Psalms 100:2 Andras
64. Mehriel Michael Archangels Psalms 33:18 Flauros
65. Damabiah Gabriel Angels Psalms 90:13 Andrealphus
66. Manakel Gabriel Angels Psalms 38:21 Cimeries
67. Eidel Gabriel Angels Psalms 37:4 Amduscias
68. Hahniah Gabriel Angels Psalms 106:1 Belial
69. Rochel Gabriel Angels Psalms 16:5 Decarabia
70. Jabamiah Gabriel Angels Genesis 1:1 Seere
71. Haiaiel Gabriel Angels Psalms 109:30 Dantalion
72. Mumiah Gabriel Angels Psalms 116:7 Andromalius
References[edit]
^ Jump up to: a b
ref : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shemhamphorasch

RaineAshford
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RaineAshford »

findingtruth wrote:Hello!

So I always try to do a quick topic search but I didn't see anything explaining this. So what exactly is an angel? I don't believe that the Judeo-Christian God is the all powerful creator of the universe and always associated these beings with him. Are they separate entities? What is their purpose? If I am not monotheistic am I unable to contact these beings?

They bring peace to existence as the army of God within Godmind[space]. Forces of good purifying everything within Godmind[space].

Return to “Angelic Arts”