Warned not to Summon Angels?

Coltron
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Coltron »

So I have had a recent spiritual resurgence that has brought me a lot of knowledge and confusion. I have felt that I have had something looking after me for a while and was going to use a ritual in The Magnus to attempt to summon Camael for guidance and truth, but as soon as I was about to write the name. A smoke detector in my house started blaring stopping me. It apparently chose that moment to trip the low battery warning. Ever since I have had a an aversion to angelic spirits and feel panicked when I think of contacting one. Conversely I was led to Gremory soon after and while my fundamentals on ceremony could use work I feel that I was able to make a sort of deal with them, and the one that keeps them. Is this something I should be worried about? I am very new to this and this is very confusing. Aren't angels supposed to be the safest thing to deal with? Thank you.

Coltron
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Coltron »

So I have had a recent spiritual resurgence that has brought me a lot of knowledge and confusion. I have felt that I have had something looking after me for a while and was going to use a ritual in The Magnus to attempt to summon Camael for guidance and truth, but as soon as I was about to write the name. A smoke detector in my house started blaring stopping me. It apparently chose that moment to trip the low battery warning. Ever since I have had a an aversion to angelic spirits and feel panicked when I think of contacting one.Is this something I should be worried about? I am very new to this and this is very confusing. Aren't angels supposed to be the safest thing to deal with? Thank you.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Warned not to Summon Angels?

Post by Maya The Generator »

Angel safest? I never thought so... Look at description of Azrael, Archangel of Death. You do not want to mess with Him.

But I stick to your question. What will our Pro users say. [thumbup]

Praise Teh Sun [yay]
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sypheara »

Angels look and act nothing like popular image has led you to believe. Even in the bible their description is kinda terrifying.

I cant off the top of my head remember where i got this image.. think it might even be from Hellboy or something like that..

But i love it because it is much more accurate as to not only how they are described but how they can appear.
'Flores noctis sumus atque alas pandimus, In profundis tenebrarum.'
Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.theluciferianrevolution.com
(admin approved link)

KatrianaKitten
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by KatrianaKitten »

Angels are terrifying, and not forces to be reckoned with... They're warriors, and if they get annoyed that they were summoned away from what they were doing, they will not hesitate to kill you. I mean, even in the Bible, they're described as terrifying 4-6 winged bringers of death... They don't care about humans...

Suba
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Suba »

Blessing Coltron,

As to you last question, "aren't angels supposed to be the safest thing to deal with?" I would have to disagree. Sometimes angelic energies can get us in as much trouble as goetic ones.

While I personally do not know which spirits are the safest to work with, I can say the Olympic Spirits are the least invasive in my experience. Even the Elemental Spirits can cause trouble in our lives if we are not careful.

As to Gremory, if that is the goetic spirit you are talking about, then I would suggest working with a Vernal Archangel to balance and control this duke. I think Haniel would be a good choice, as this Archangel is the 56th Shemhamphororasch angel within the Vernal Sphere.

In my experience demon's have a way of misleading, distorting, and inviting fear within us, especially when we are inviting higher vibrational beings. For example, one experience I've had was with a goetic magician being manipulated by Asmodeus. One night as we were talking I felt inclined to tell him what I saw, but every time I tried to tell him, something happened. The first distraction was a phone call, the second was a cup of soda spilling, and the third was the pizza guy ringing the doorbell. After that, I gave up.

For if the truth be known, I was quite scared of this goetic adept and so did not want to push too much least it backfired on me.

In saying, while it is possible that the fire alarm was related to the angelic energy you were seeking to invite, I personally feel that it is a sign that other energies are at work in your life and I highly suggest that you meditate on what those energies might be.

As a side note, while writing this reply I thought about a time I was in juvenile hall as a kid and there was this Satanist who was invoking some satanic energy and the fire alarms went off: Weird coincidence?

Anyhow, I hope I have helped you in some way.

Be Blessed,
Suba
Life is to quick to be in a hurry: Slow down and Enjoy it!

Coltron
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Coltron »

I would first like to thank you for your reply. It did help me a great deal as I will explain. I am weary of summoning an angel as you have suggested. I appreciate the advise and feel that it may even be the best course of action, but I have delt with Gremory in a very cordial manner.(I did not use any circles, or use any of the antagonistic methods employed by Solomon). I have had great success; success that makes not wish to jeopardize the completion of our arrangement. I have gave fairly little and have gained considerably.

You might be wondering then, what I have taken from your reply to heart. It was the story of the Goetic Magician. When using less coercive means to deal with these spirits, it is easy to see them as overtly friendly, even benevolent. I felt at ease, I felt cared for and guided, until I read your post you could almost say I was in a daze of reverence and gratitude. Now I am having to critically think on how I have been perceiving. For that revaluation I can not thank you enough.

As long as i can maintain a friendly report with Gremory I will not take the offensive. However I will now remain vigilant. If you could expand on how the magician you mention was being manipulated I would learn from the story. The more I meditate on the energy that has permeated my life I have an almost sickly feeling that it is not angelic in nature, I almost have started to question if something like a guardian demon is out of the question. Almost as if I am given just enough rope to hang myself, then when I am there dangling from the rope I hear a disappointed sigh and the rope is cut. Like some test I keep failing, but am always offered to take again. I will stop the exposition and thank you again.

Coltron
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Coltron »

I have study them in greater detail and undisguised angels(God disguised them in the bible apparently) are terrifying and care only of carrying out Gods will, not humans at all. The question I have now is that, is it possible for Angels just to naturally hate a person and wish to bring them ruin? Are there any methods of protecting oneself from angels other than calling on the dominion god gave man(like I have read in stuff talking about the Kabala)? I know this forum is most likely pro angel but how can you protect yourself if they turn against you? Thank everyone for their replies this far

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Coltron wrote:The question I have now is that, is it possible for Angels just to naturally hate a person and wish to bring them ruin?
Only if you really piss off their boss, or work against any of the people they are in charge of protecting.

You have to remember that the Angels of the Abrahamic Tradition aren't any more universal than the Youkai of Japan are. They are localized spirits, specific to the Middle East and particularly specific to all branches of the Abrahamic Tradition. Those who are part of these religions and cultures, by faith or by blood, the angels are in service to. Not humanity in general, just Jews, Christians, and Muslims. They don't care much about people who are foreign to this spiritual domain, just like Odin doesn't spend too much effort on people foreign to his domain, and the Olympians don't give much effort to anything outside of their domain. Every group of gods and spirits have a domain, and things foreign to that domain are rarely very important to them, compared to everything that have to deal with inside their domain.

So if you're an enemy of the Abrahamic religions and cultures, or more specifically the enemy of someone in these faiths who can work with Angels, you may find yourself on the bad end of an angels wrath.

But for the most part, they just don't care. If proper dues are given, they'll work with anyone, and if you don't mess with them or their peeps they won't mess much with you either.

As for protection, well. That kinda depends on the specific situation, as it always does, but for the most part it'd be the same as protecting yourself from one of the Goetic spirits. You must remember that per Abrahamic Lore, most "demons" are just a fallen "angel." They are the same Spirit Race, practically speaking, and so they are just different cultures of the same People. If you know how to protect yourself from powerful spiritual influences in general, then it'd just be a matter of applying those generalized protection skills to the specific circumstances of protection.

~:Shin:~

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

If you don't know what you are doing invoking smurfs would be dangerous.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Shinichi wrote:
You have to remember that the Angels of the Abrahamic Tradition aren't any more universal than the Youkai of Japan are.
Except yokai are no more then 1200 years old and apparently mortal in many cases, and angels are at least 9000 years old and almost immortal.
Yokai in most cases are just as powerful as an animal or large person, angels draws their power directly from the omnipresent force that created the entire universe...

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

Desecrated wrote:
Shinichi wrote:
You have to remember that the Angels of the Abrahamic Tradition aren't any more universal than the Youkai of Japan are.
Except yokai are no more then 1200 years old and apparently mortal in many cases, and angels are at least 9000 years old and almost immortal.
Yokai in most cases are just as powerful as an animal or large person, angels draws their power directly from the omnipresent force that created the entire universe...
He meant, I believe, that there are Angelic beings belonging to other pantheons rather than just the Abrahamic /Judaeo-christian one.
Also, Angel's in the Abrahamic tradition draw their power from the Judaeo-Christian god, whom is (generally) believed to be a separate entity from the force which created the universe, which is common for angelic beings to do (drawing their power directly form their patron entity within their pantheon)
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Caerdon wrote:He meant, I believe
Actually, I meant exactly what I said. Beware of belief. [wink2]

The Abrahamic Angels most certainly do serve the Monad, because the Monad, "The One," "The All," or whatever, is the central divine power in Abrahamic Tradition. "There is no God but God," and all that. And yeah, they're old, but they aren't the only ones who have been on Earth for a long time.

As for "angelic beings" in other domains, yeah. There are lots of spirits that could be called "angelic." Some of The Fae could be called "angelic," in a certain sense, but anyone who knows anything about Fae knows that they can be very dangerous as much as anything else. Which is perhaps part of the point of this thread. And really, it's only through recent history that even the Angels have earned this reputation of being pure and harmless, instead of being powerful and dangerous spirits. I suppose we can thank Renaissance Art for some of that.

At the end of the day, they're all just individual spirits. Incorporeal intelligent beings, individuals with their own personal and local agendas, like any other kind of individual person. I've dealt with "demons" who were a godsend and "angels" who were assholes, so in general it's best to treat spirits like you would humans. As individuals. And like with humans, some individuals will like you and others won't.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Coltron wrote:I have study them in greater detail and undisguised angels(God disguised them in the bible apparently) are terrifying and care only of carrying out Gods will, not humans at all. The question I have now is that, is it possible for Angels just to naturally hate a person and wish to bring them ruin? Are there any methods of protecting oneself from angels other than calling on the dominion god gave man(like I have read in stuff talking about the Kabala)? I know this forum is most likely pro angel but how can you protect yourself if they turn against you? Thank everyone for their replies this far
If an angel or other similarly powerful being is pissed off with you, you won't have to ask people on a forum. You'll feel the effects in a tangible and immediate way, at least if historical testimonies of such encounters are to be believed. And in such a case, I think going directly to their boss or an emissary of their boss for help would be far more effective than any personal protective measures you could undertake on your own.

But all that said, I don't think this type of fear is productive. Treat an angel just like you'd treat any stranger—with politeness, reciprocal respect and a healthy dose of caution until you fully apprehend their intentions. Quid pro quo. Cringing and cowering can be just as counterproductive (and dangerous) an approach as yelling and throwing your weight around.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Coltron
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Coltron »

I am begining to understand that my fear might have been motivated by some anxiety I have had about my relationship to the divine and possibly because I have done some work with a goetic demon. I had followed some things mentioned on a site that turned out to be pretty crazy, and set up demons and Satan as figures akin to fluffy bunnies. I have since, thanks to some of the post, reevaluated my situation.

My question has changed a bit. I have had success with my work with Gremory(respectfully without coercion or malice), and feel that it is important that I keep to my word in our dealings if I wish for the same to be extended to me. I have grown quite attached to fruits of our arrangement. This relates to this forum because after initially placing my self and energy at odds with the divine, I felt that it was wrong. I could not bring myself to say that the divine was my enemy. Has anyone worked with demons AND angels? If I am in agreement with Gremory, and have no plan to break that agreement, would summoning an angelic spirit on behalf of a devoutly Christian friend in need be dangerous or cause problems? Can they be separate, honoring my word with each peacefully, or is conflict inherent. Thank you guys so much for your response and wisdom.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Lots of people have worked with both demons and angels. Don't forget, most of the occult stuff being written about and worked with during the Middle Ages (including the Goetia) was done by Christians, and so a great number of famous "Classical Grimoires" are also Judeo-Christian, as well as Muslim influenced. Lots of groups have worked with both, including the infamous Golden Dawn, and Crowley, and countless others. It's really no big deal.

So it'll only cause problems if you believe it will, if you let your fears and other bits of psychological babble interfere with what you are doing. Which is precisely why neophytes are supposed to spend a great deal of time working on Mental Discipline and Psychic Fortitude. When you go into a working, you shouldn't have any fears, worries, beliefs, thoughts, or anything else that may hold you back occupying your mind. There should just be your intentions for the working, and the working itself.

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sypheara »

Remember what scene it is from. It is from Hellboy..
Although its pop culture and obviously fiction, I do find this scene sums up angels quite well and is a great counterpoint to the men and women in togas descending from the sky lark.

Got to love Del Toro.
'Flores noctis sumus atque alas pandimus, In profundis tenebrarum.'
Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.theluciferianrevolution.com
(admin approved link)

ThyNegative
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ThyNegative »

i don't think that an angle that needs a low battery to be able to warn has the power to be dangerous.
in order to be dangerous don't you need to first has the power to be ?
i would have doubt it's power because of something like this and become angry instead of being afraid.
your doooommd, aha aha ahahahahahaha

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

It depends. Even though I come from a Muslim bloodline I am a little scared to call them. I mainly work with demons and I have read an account of a Demonolator priestess that created trepidation in me. She works fine with Archangels Metatron and Raphael, but once she invoked Archangel Michael for some help he attacked her. She also had an equally dangerous encounter with Demon Svengali. I seem to work fine with demons I have invoked till now. I tried to invoke Raphael a few times. Last time I did I think I heard a noise in my room at night in the dark, when I went to bed to sleep. I have a feeling he had responded to my call.

The bottom line is you can't decide the safety of calling a particular spiritual being only by checking out their pantheon. Do your research on the tradition they come from and their nature. It is also good to meditate on them and see how you feel about them. Above all never call them with fear or hatred in your heart. Always respect them but be cautious.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Next
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Next »

You're afraid of your own intuition.

That means you are not a native to occultism.

That, in turn, means occultism is dangerous for you.

Better to keep the door shut.

Amavisso
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amavisso »

Camael, in this very case, is the corrupted form of name Samael, Angel, who was blackened by lots of profanes (and no, Samael is NOT Angel of Death, and He is NOT Satan or some Satanic Spirit). This Angel is of Martian nature, so it is strange that topic starter decided to address this Angel for guidance and truth and with totally corrupted form of His name.

If you address some Entity with corrupted Name, corrupted Seal and lack of information about the nature of this Entity, nothing good will come out of that.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Amavisso wrote:Camael, in this very case, is the corrupted form of name Samael, Angel, who was blackened by lots of profanes (and no, Samael is NOT Angel of Death, and He is NOT Satan or some Satanic Spirit). This Angel is of Martian nature, so it is strange that topic starter decided to address this Angel for guidance and truth and with totally corrupted form of His name.

If you address some Entity with corrupted Name, corrupted Seal and lack of information about the nature of this Entity, nothing good will come out of that.
I would like to know how you arrived at your statements above.They are contradicted by even Wikipedia let alone by Kabbalists and Demonologists!
Woe if I reveal,Woe if I do not reveal...

Amavisso
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amavisso »

violetstar wrote:I would like to know how you arrived at your statements above.They are contradicted by even Wikipedia let alone by Kabbalists and Demonologists!
My own path was full of mistakes and misconceptions. At some point many years ago I myself actually tried working with Samael as if He was some Evil Being. Of course He is going to be "Evil" (or rather punishing) to those who treat Him as such - all those poor souls who are lost in their ignorance. Thankfully, I had great books and great spiritual help from outside, so I managed to escape all this ignorance though it costed me years and some wounds.

All those Kabbalists and Demonologists made a huge mess with all their Samaels, Camaels, Azraels, Satans and such. Out of books which were written after XV century, only a few authors actually had understanding of what they were writing about, the rest were busy mixing the unmixable and "demonizing"/"angelizing" everything that isn't convenient with their own line of ignorant thought.

There is an old text, which itself has tons of mistakes but it is much more readable and practical than most later texts, its name is Heptameron and it provides a good groundwork for those who want to work with Angels. And it itself lists Samael as main Angel of Mars. Sadly there are some big mistakes in Heptameron, but it requires a full another topic to describe them.

And I'll tell you, a single page of Heptameron is worth many times more than all works of Aleister Crowley and most of other contemporary and modern "magicians" taken together. This is the work of great potential, though it is definitely not for beginners.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Amavisso wrote:My own path was full of mistakes and misconceptions. At some point many years ago I myself actually tried working with Samael as if He was some Evil Being. Of course He is going to be "Evil" (or rather punishing) to those who treat Him as such - all those poor souls who are lost in their ignorance. Thankfully, I had great books and great spiritual help from outside, so I managed to escape all this ignorance though it costed me years and some wounds.

All those Kabbalists and Demonologists made a huge mess with all their Samaels, Camaels, Azraels, Satans and such. Out of books which were written after XV century, only a few authors actually had understanding of what they were writing about, the rest were busy mixing the unmixable and "demonizing"/"angelizing" everything that isn't convenient with their own line of ignorant thought.

There is an old text, which itself has tons of mistakes but it is much more readable and practical than most later texts, its name is Heptameron and it provides a good groundwork for those who want to work with Angels. And it itself lists Samael as main Angel of Mars. Sadly there are some big mistakes in Heptameron, but it requires a full another topic to describe them.

And I'll tell you, a single page of Heptameron is worth many times more than all works of Aleister Crowley and most of other contemporary and modern "magicians" taken together. This is the work of great potential, though it is definitely not for beginners.
As you say its flawed.Here is some info to help:

Camael
Camael (prob. alternate spelling of either Chamuel חַמּוּאֵל (from chammah חַמָּה: "heat", "rage")—"anger/wrath of God" or Qemuel קְמוּאֵל (from qum קוּם: "to arise", "to stand up")—"God is risen", "raised by God", "one who sees/stands before God" also spelled as Khamael, Camiel, Cameel or Camniel) is the Archangel of strength, courage and war in Christian and Jewish mythology and angelology. He is known as one of the ten Kabbalah angels, assigned to the sephira Gevurah. Camael's name is also included in Pseudo-Dionysius' 5th or 6th century AD, "Corpus Areopagiticum" as one of the seven Archangels along with Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Uriel, Jophiel, and Zadkiel.

Samael Southern Semitic Ge'ez 'a [strong] Idol in the Earth'
or
Samael derived from סםאלd (the vernom of God) an appropriate name for the angel
of death, or it perhaps could be a corrupt form of an insignificant Syrian god,
Shemal.

Prince of the demons, and an important figure both in Talmudic and in post-Talmudic literature, where he appears as accuser, seducer, and destroyer. His name is etymologized as = "the venom of God," since he is identical with the angel of death (Targ. Yer. to Gen. iii. 6; see also Death, Angel of), who slays men with a drop of poison ('Ab. Zarah 20b; Kohut, "Angelologie und Dämonologie," pp. 69, 71). It is possible, however, that the name is derived from that of the Syrian god Shemal (Bousset, "Religion," p. 242).
Samael is the "chief of Satans" (Deut. R. xi. 9; Jellinek, "B. H." i. 125), quite in the sense of "the prince of the devils" mentioned in Matt. ix. 34; but, on the other hand, he is "the great prince in heaven." (Pirḳe R. El. xiii., beginning), who rules over angels and powers (ib.; Martyrdom of Isaiah, ii. 2). As the incarnation of evil he is the celestial patron of the sinful empire of Rome, with which Edom and Esau are identified (Tan. on Gen. xxxii. 35; Jellinek, l.c. vi. 31, 109, etc.). He flies through the air like a bird (Targ. to Job xxviii. 7), and, while the ḥayyot and ofannim have only six wings, he has twelve, and commands a whole army of demons (Pirḳe R. El. xiii.). In so far as he is identified with the serpent ("J. Q. R." vi. 12), with carnal desire (Yeẓer ha-Ra'), and with the angel of death, all legends associated with Satan refer equally to him, while as a miscreant he is compared to Belial ( = "worthless"; see collection of material in Bousset, "Antichrist," pp. 99-101).
All these descriptions of Samael show that he was regarded simply as the principle of evil that brought upon Israel and Judah every misfortune that befell them. Even at the creation of the world he was Lucifer, who ever sought evil and who began his malignant activity with Adam. His opponent is Michael, who represents the beneficent principle, and who frequently comes into conflict with him (comp. Jew. Encyc. viii. 536 et seq.; Lucken, "Michael," pp. 22 et seq.).

Samael in the History of Mankind.
The evil nature of Samael may be illustrated by a number of examples. He and his demonic host descended from heaven to seduce the first human pair (Pirḳe R. El. xiii., beginning; Yalḳ. Gen. i. 25), and for this purpose he planted the vine, the forbidden tree of paradise (Greek Apocalypse of Baruch, iv.). He was himself the serpent, whose form he merely assumed (ib. ix.; "J. Q. R." vi. 328), and was one of the leaders of the angels who married the daughters of men (Gen. vi. 1-4), thus being partially responsible for the fall of the angels (Enoch vi., in Kautzsch, "Apokryphen," ii. 238 et seq.; Lucken, l.c. p. 29). His former wife was Lilith (Jellinek, l.c. vi. 109). He endeavored to persuade Abraham not to offer up Isaac, and, failing in his purpose, he caused the death of Sarah by carrying the news of the sacrifice to her (Gen. R. lvi. 4; Sanh. 89a et passim; Pirḳe R. El. xxxii.). He wrestled with Jacob (Gen. R. lxxvii. and parallels), and also took part in the affair of Tamar (Soṭah 10b). He brought accusations against the Israelites when God was about to lead them out of Egypt (Ex. R. xxi. 7; Bacher, "Ag. Pal. Amor." i. 25, 473), and was jubilant at the death of Moses because the latter had brought the Torah (Deut. R. xi. 9; Jellinek, l.c. i. 12 et passim). Entering into King Manasseh, Samael caused the martyrdom of the prophet Isaiah (Martyrdom of Isaiah, i., in Kautzsch, l.c. ii. 124); and he considered himself victorious over Michael when God decided that the ten pious scholars during the reign of Hadrian must suffer death (Jellinek, l.c. ii. 66, iii. 87, vi. 31). On the Day of Atonement, however, Israel has no fear of him (Lev. R. xxi. 4).

In the Cabala.
In the quotations from the Slavonic Book of Enoch (vi.) Samael is represented as a prince of the demons and a magician. He is, therefore, frequently mentioned in the cabalistic writings of the Middle Ages, from which Eisenmenger compiled a rich collection of passages ("Entdecktes Judenthum," i. 826 et seq.), to which must be added those in Schwab's "Vocabulaire de l'Angélologie" (p. 199). As lord of the demons, Samael is regarded as a magic being, and must be considered in the preparation of amulets, although there is no agreement as to his power and activity. He presides over the second "teḳufah" (solstice) and the west wind of the fourth teḳufah, as well as the third day of the week ("Sefer Raziel," 6a, 40b, 41b; see also Schwab, l.c.). In Hebrew amulets Samael is represented as the angel of death ("Revue de Numismatique," 1892, pp. 246, 251). Eve is supposed to have become pregnant by him (Targ. Yer. to Gen. iv. 1); and the cabalists add many details to this legend (Eisenmenger, l.c. i. 832 et seq.). The spot in the moon is supposed to have been caused by the filth of Samael (Menahem of Recanati, p. 140, c. 2).
The name first appears in the account of the theory of angels in the Ethiopic Book of Enoch 6, which includes the name, although not in the most important place, in the list of the leaders of the angels who rebelled against God. The Greek versions of the lost Hebrew text contain the forms Σαμμανή (Sammane) and Σεμιέλ (Semiel). The latter form takes the place of the name Samael in the Greek work of the Church Father Irenaeus in his account of the Gnostic sect of the Ophites (see below; ed. Harvey, I, 236). According to Irenaeus the Ophites gave the snake a double name: *Michael and Samael, which in the Greek work of the Church Father Theodoretus appears as Σαμμανή (Sammane). The Greek version of Enoch used by the Byzantine Syncellus retained the form Σαμιέλ (Samiel). This form still retains the original meaning derived from the word sami (סמי), meaning blind, an etymology which was preserved in various Jewish and non-Jewish sources until the Middle Ages. In addition to Samiel, the forms Samael and Sammuel date from antiquity. This third version is preserved in the Greek Apocalypse of Baruch 4:9 (from the tannaitic period), which states that the angel Sammuel planted the vine that caused the fall of Adam, and therefore Sammuel was cursed and became *Satan. The same source relates in chapter 9, in an ancient version of the legend of the shrinking of the moon, that Samael took the form of a snake in order to tempt Adam, an idea which was omitted in later talmudic versions of the legend.
In the apocalyptic work "The Ascension of Isaiah," which contains a mixture of Jewish and early Christian elements, the names Beliar (i.e., Belial) and Samael occur side by side as names or synonyms for Satan. What is recounted of Samael in one passage is stated in another about Beliar. For example, Samael dominated King Manasseh and "embraced him," thus taking on the form of Manasseh (ch. 2). In chapter 7, Samael and his forces are stated to be under the first firmament, a view that does not accord with his position as the chief of the devils. Samael is mentioned among the "angels of judgment" in the Sibylline Oracles 2:215. In the tannaitic and amoraic period, Samael is mentioned as being outside the alignment of the hosts of the *Merkabah. Drawing from Jewish tradition, several Gnostic works refer to Samael as "the blind god" and as identical with Jaldabaoth, who occupied an important place in Gnostic speculations as one of, or the leader of, the forces of evil. This tradition apparently came down through the Ophites ("the worshipers of the snake"), a Jewish syncretistic sect (Theodore Bar Konai, Pagnon ed., 213). Partially ecclesiastical traditions of this period, such as the pseudepigraphic versions of Acts of the Apostles, Acts of Andrew, and Matthew 24, retain the name Samael for Satan, acknowledging his blindness. He is mentioned as head of the devils in the magical Testament of Solomon (Testamentum Salomonis), which is essentially a superficial Christian adaptation of a demonological Jewish text from this period (ed. Chester Charlton McCown (1922), 96). Undoubtedly Simyael, "the demon in charge of blindness" mentioned in Mandean works (Ginzā, trans. M. Lidzbarski (1925), 200, and The Canonical Prayer Book of the Mandaeans, ed. E.S. Drower (1959), 246), is simply a variant of Samael.

In rabbinic tradition the name first occurs in the statements of Yose (perhaps b. Halafta or the amora Yose) that during the exodus from Egypt "Michael and Samael stood before the Shekhinah" apparently as prosecutor and defender (Ex. R.18:5). Their task is similar to that of Samael and *Gabriel in the story of Tamar (Sot. 10b), in the statement of Eleazar b. Pedat. Samael retains the role of prosecutor in the account of Ḥama b. Ḥanina (c. 260 C.E.; Ex. R. 21:7), who was apparently the first to identify Samael with Esau's guardian angel during the struggle between Jacob and the angel. His name, however, does not appear in Genesis Rabbah (Theodor ed. (1965), 912), but he is mentioned in the old version of the Tanḥuma, Va-Yishlaḥ 8. In the parallel version in Songs of Songs Rabbah 3:6, the amora has Jacob saying to Esau: "your countenance resembles that of your guardian angel," according to the version of the Sefer Mattenot Kehunnah (Theodor ed.). Surprisingly, in the section of the Midrash Yelammedenu on Exodus 14:25, Samael fulfills a positive function during the dividing of the Red Sea, pushing back the wheels of the chariots of the Egyptians. In gematria, Samael is the numerical equivalent of the word ofan ("wheel"; in Ms. British Museum, 752, 136b; and in the Midrash Ha-Ḥefeẓ ha-Teimani, which is cited in Torah Shelemah, 14 (1941) to this verse).
Mention of Samael as the angel of death first occurs in Targum Jonathan on Genesis 3:6, and this identification frequently appears in late aggadot, especially in the legends on the death of Moses at the end of Deuteronomy Rabbah, at the end of Avot de-Rabbi Nathan (ed. Schecter (1945), 156). In Deuteronomy Rabbah 11, Samael is called "Samael the wicked, the head of all the devils." The name "Samael the wicked" is repeated consistently in Heikhalot Rabbati (1948), chapter 5, an apocalyptic source. The Hebrew Enoch 14:2, acknowledges him as "chief of the tempters" "greater than all the heavenly kingdoms." This text differentiates between Satan and Samael, the latter being none other than the guardian angel of Rome (ibid. 6:26). In traditions concerning the rebellion of the angels in heaven (PdRE 13–14 (1852)), he is the leader of the rebel armies. Prior to his defeat he had 12 wings, and his place was higher than the ḥayyot ("holy heavenly creatures") and the seraphim. Several tasks are attributed to him: Samael is in charge of all the nations but has no power over Israel except on the Day of Atonement, when the scapegoat serves as bribe for him (ibid. 46). It is he who rode on the snake in the course of the fall of Adam and hid in the golden calf (ibid. 45). In Midrash Avkir (see *Midrashim, Smaller), Samael and Michael were active at the time of the birth of Jacob and Esau, and even on the way to the *Akedah of Isaac, Samael intervened as a prosecutor (Gen. R. 56:4). The war between him and Michael, the guardian angel of Israel, will not be completed until the end of days, when Samael will be handed over to Israel in iron shackles (Gen. R., ed. Albeck, 166, following Mak. 12a, and similarly in the messianic chapters (pirkei mashi'aḥ) in A. Jellinek, Beit ha-Midrash 3 (1938), 66f.).
Particular motifs on Samael in later aggadah include the following: Samael does not know the path to the tree of life, even though he flies through the air (Targ. Job 28:7); he has one long hair in his navel, and as long as this remains intact his reign will continue. In the messianic era, however, the hair will bend as a result of the great sound of the shofar, and then Samael will also fall (Midrash Piyyutim, quoted in a commentary on Ms. Munich 346, 91b). In Jewish astrological sources, which in time influenced those of other groups, Samael was considered the angel in charge of Mars. This idea recurs at first among the Sabans in Haran, who called him Mara Samia (D. Chwolson, Die Ssabier und der Ssabismus, 2 (1856); Picatrix, ed. H. Ritter (1933), 226) and later in medieval Christian astrological magic literature. He appears as the angel in charge of Tuesday in Sefer *Razi'el (Amsterdam, 1701), 34b; in Ḥokhmat ha-Kasdim (ed. M. Gaster, Studies and Texts, 1 (1925), 350; in *Judah b. Barzillai's commentary on Sefer *Yeẓirah (1885), 247, and in many other works. In demonological sources known to the brothers *Isaac and *Jacob b. Jacob ha-Kohen, Spanish kabbalists of the mid-13th century, an echo of the ancient etymology is still retained and Samael is called Sar Suma ("blind angel").
n later literature, Samael often appears as the angel who brought the poison of death into the world. These same demonological sources contain the earliest references to Samael and *Lilith as a couple in the kingdom of impurity (Isaac ha-Kohen's essay on aẓilut, Madda'ei ha-Yahadut, 2 (1927), 251, 260, 262). These sources are full of contradictory traditions concerning the roles of Samael and the war against *Asmodeus, then regarded as guardian angel of Ishmael. Different systems were constructed of the hierarchy of the leaders of the demons and their consorts (Tarbiz, 4 (1932/33), 72). According to one view, Samael had two brides (resp., Sidrei de-Shimmusha Rabbah, Tarbiz, 16 (1945), 198–9), an idea which also appears in Tikkunei Zohar (Mantua, 1558). The couple Samael and Lilith are mentioned many times in the *Zohar, mostly without specifically mentioning the name Lilith (e.g., "Samael and his spouse"), as the leaders of the sitra aḥra ("the other side"; i.e., evil). In Ammud ha-Semali by *Moses b. Solomon b. Simeon of Burgos, a contemporary of the author of the Zohar, Samuel and Lilith constitute only the eighth and tenth Sefirah of the left (evil) emanation (Tarbiz, 4 (1932–33), 217f.). In the Zohar, the snake has become the symbol of Lilith, and Samael rides on her and has sexual intercourse with her. Samael is cross-eyed and dark (Zohar Ḥadash 31, 4) and has horns (Tikkunei Zohar in Zohar Ḥadash 101, 3), perhaps influenced by the Christian idea about the horns of Satan. However, the image of Satan is linked with the goat in Targum Jonathan to Leviticus 9:3. The party, hosts, and chariots of Samael are mentioned in Zohar part 2, 111b; part 3, 29a. Different classes of demons, all called Samael, were known by the writer of Tikkunei Zohar (published in the main body of the Zohar 1, 29a). "There is Samael and there is Samael, and they are not all the same."
The conjurations of Samael often appear in magical literature and in practical Kabbalah. In 15th-century Spain a system was developed in which the heads of the demons were Samael, the representative of Edom, and his assistant Amon of No, representing Ishmael. A legend telling of their downfall at the hands of *Joseph della Reina appears in several sources (G. Scholem, in Zion, 5 (1933), 124f.). After Isaac *Luria had introduced the practice of not pronouncing the name of Satan, the custom of calling him Samekh Mem became widespread (Sha'ar ha-Mitzvot (Salonica, 1852), Exodus; Sha'ar ha-Kavvanot (Salonica, 1852), Derushei ha-Laylah 1).
Woe if I reveal,Woe if I do not reveal...

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

And all that negativity and information seems to come from Jewish and Christian scriptures and writings...

Is not that always the way of it ?

Make an older tradition , or deities "bad" , or "evil" ?

How trite , and common... [wink]

Sorry , Violetstar...did not convince me one bit...

I will not say anything about the validity of the Heptameron , though I know a bit...

I will say I have never had a problem with "Samael / Camael" , or "Lilith" , though I
know them by different spellings and names , far older...

I place no faith in books written by those of an Abrahamic god , or any variant...

But , of course , and I mean it well...believe as you choose... [thumbup]

Return to “Angelic Arts”