Sleep Paralysis

Help,advice and discussion on Sleep Paralysis.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: RifRaf

Since I was 15or so I have been dealing with Sleep paralysis on a frequent level. Sometimes it can happen 3 or more times in a night, sometimes it will be a week or so before it happens again.

My question is, while in this state could I use this as a method of entering a trance? I have decided to not try and jerk myself out of the paralysis a few times, which I once stayed in this state for a good 30 minutes, this was, however, before I knew anything of projection, OOBE, etc. So it was of no great use.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Scarlett_156

It's possible, but I don't recommend using any technique that you don't have a full understanding and complete control of. If you could enter the paralytic state and then go out of it again relatively at will, then: Yeah, it might be useful. However, if it just happens every so often and is beyond your control, maybe learn more about why it's happening before you start trying to make use of it. xoxo Scarlett

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Deicide

I've had this same thing happen, not sure what really causes it but I always try and jerk myself out of it, definately some scary shit when you can't move your body and/or blink.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

[QUOTE=Scarlett_156;320877]It's possible, but I don't recommend using any technique that you don't have a full understanding and complete control of. If you could enter the paralytic state and then go out of it again relatively at will, then: Yeah, it might be useful. However, if it just happens every so often and is beyond your control, maybe learn more about why it's happening before you start trying to make use of it. xoxo Scarlett[/QUOTE]

I can control it. I can stay in it for almost an hour if I want, or I can focus all my energy to my fingers then "jerk" out of it.

The reason, I believe, it started happening to me is because I changed my life style. I was addicted to Opiates for some time, mainly Heroin. When I got done detoxing it started happening, that was years ago, and it still continues to happen.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Scarlett_156

Well it kinda sounds like you have answered your own question then. Good luck! xoxo

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Well then main question is, Is there a way to Astral Project from this "state"? Or not. Should I just go about the usual means of entering a trance like I have in the past?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: tiger_shark

[QUOTE=RifRaf;320941]Well then main question is, Is there a way to Astral Project from this "state"? Or not. Should I just go about the usual means of entering a trance like I have in the past?[/QUOTE]

Of course there is a way to AP from this paralyzed state, I would assume it is actually easier that way because your body is already asleep and because even if you have an itch you can't scratch it.. Anyways I used to know someone with frequent sleep paralysis and he would unconsiously project sometimes while trying to move and break himself out of it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Crowskin

I've pushed myself down deep, towards a self imposed sleep paralysis like state before. It's an interesting sensation really. Theres this strong resistance against you moving, and after a while your limbs almost feel completely gone. Or rather, you fall into a specific detachment with your physical body.

I assume this is similar to natural sleep paralysis, and in that case yes. It would be quite easy to 'push' yourself into deeper trance states, or even fall out of body into more of an astral type experience.

Since technically, it seems to be all the same genre of animal already. Ie: sleep paraylisis is technically a form of 'altered state' where ones mind has given up physical control of the body, and the body remains paralyized as if it were in the deep stages of sleep. So technically it would act like skipping the whole "Relax your body" steps that are the base for most meditations.

Least thats how I figure it :)

You should experiment with it (safely of course) and sort of play with your findings. Perhaps you will create a whole new method of slipping out of your body at night?

Good luck :)

-Crowskin

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Lately, I have been experimenting heavily with this. It seems that when I take any with Diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl, Dramamine, etc.) along with my Rehmannia 16 (in safe doses, but slightly over the recommended dosage) I can reach this state quiet easily, sitting up even.

I usually do heavy "pore breathing" during meditation to induce my trance, now if I do this while waiting for the onset of the medication my other body very easily slips away from me. I, of course, do not condone the use of OTC medication usage on a daily basis, but this may be a way for some of the people that have trouble entering this stage to enter into it a tad easier. However, I do notice that this sometimes severely disables me from performing any type of magick on the astral planes.

I'll keep trying this with and without the usage of the chemicals and try and see how greatly, or poorly it continues to work.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Arckangel

I've read there exist treatments against it. Should be used with caution, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis#Treatment
http://www.occultforums.com/showthread.php?t=26695

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

I would prefer not to treat mine. But I do know alot of people despise it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Kai_Rusalka

How do you control it RifRaf?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: raditus

I am intrigued by this. I have something like it once in a blue moon. I used to get them all the time when I was a kid. And when I say that, I mean, like every other day.

Mine was where I'd also feel like I couldn't move, but not where something was holding me down or whatever, I just couldn't move my body. And it also felt like I was being amped up with energy, electrocuted it felt like.

During one of the episodes, I was laying on my tummy in such a way that I could see my arm. I tried moving my arm, and my astral arm rose a bit, making it look like I had four arms briefly.

So the question is, if any one knows how to acutally induce this paralysis in sleep, could I be PMed and told how to? I just want to try and see if this is indeed what I was experiencing, or something else entirely.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: SnowFire

Sleep Paralysis is quite terrifying for me.
Then again, I do Astral Travelling alot.
Never heard of being able to do AP through SP, though....

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Kriztenzen

The first couple of times I experienced sleep paralysis I was horrified.

I would be half out of body and struggling to get back in - fighting the heavy vibrations and buzzing sounds in my skull. This would result in a night of broken sleep and coldsweat.

It is really uncomfortable; but like most things one can become acustomed to the sensations.

When I find myself in this state, it is usually enough for me to relax, and an astral projection will occur quite automatically.

If it doesn't - I usually just imagine myself walking through my house and that does the trick every time.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: SnowFire

My last SP experience was not that long ago.
Basically, I was halfway inbetween sleep and halfway inbetween awakeing. I got a sudden tight feeling in my chest and found it very hard to breathe. I was almost hyperventalating(SP?). It lasted for about 5 minutes, before it went.
It really felt like someone was sitting on my chest.
It was horrible.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Kriztenzen;332048 wrote:If it doesn't - I usually just imagine myself walking through my house and that does the trick every time.

I actually did do this through "SP", the astral walking around. Trough my house. It seemed though, the farther I got away from my body, the stronger the buzzing, electric feeling was until it was quite painful. then I "woke up."

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Original post: Draginvry

Sleep Paralysis is actually what happens when you are asleep, but you are still consciously aware of your surroundings. When you sleep, the brain triggers a reaction which paralyzes the body so you won't injure yourself by acting out your dreams. If this is triggered when you are awake, or you awaken without the process reverting to normal, the body will remain paralyzed but you will be consciously aware of your surroundings.

I'd make sure you can snap yourself out of it quickly before trying to use it for magick. Uncontrolled sleep paralysis can be dangerous, especially if it is related to withdrawal or drug use like someone already mentioned.
hyperventalating
Hyperventilation is actually breathing too quickly or too deeply. It causes an imbalance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood, causing other nervous disorders and often fainting or lightheadedness.

I got so scared once when I was a kid that I started hyperventilating. I kept breathing faster and couldn't stop. It was very painful.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis

Yeah, my kid sister hyperventilates when she gets real upset. She has a temper problem and my mom has to hold her and instruct her to breath slowly and through her nose. Works like a charm everytime.

Return to “Sleep Paralysis”