Sleep Paralysis - The old hag and the shadow rapist

Help,advice and discussion on Sleep Paralysis.

barnacle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep Paralysis - The old hag and the shadow rapist

Post by barnacle »

I notice a lot of people report getting strangled or raped by an old hag and a shadow entity while in sleep paralysis. I get sleep paralysis all the time but I've never seen any old hag or shadow rapist. If these are actuallly astral entities, would you be able to find them on the astral plane?

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Sleep Paralysis - The old hag and the shadow rapist

Post by Nahemah »

There are shadow rapists and hags in the Astral,but they do not cause sleep paralysis.The disorder is physiological,a parasomnia.

There are various threads regarding this on the forum archivree and in the folders, which I 'll dig up for you later,or you could hit the search bar if you wish and look for them yourself?

I have to go off to work soon,so no time atm.

There is a lot of info and some links that may be useful in these threads.

However, Sleep Paralysis can be worked with to help achieve OBE and Lucid dreaming over time.

Back in the old days,where fear and superstition ruled over medicine,these 'night demons' were alleged to cause all sorts of malevolence but like other real medical disorders [porphyria,for instance or Epilepsy to name but two] they have been given a notoriety which they don't deserve to have.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

ΙΟΛΗ7
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by ΙΟΛΗ7 »

barnacle i think you may reffer to Morra or Vrachnas.I believe those terms are known all around the world although those are Greek names.Mora,is female.So what happens? While you're on your bed relaxing just a second before you sleep, you suddenly see a black shadow,you feel something touching you and you lose all your body energy and feel paralysed.You cannot move,talk or get help.But after 10 or 30 seconds you get your energy back.Sometimes you might feel that she sits on you.If those are the symptoms,don't worry cause there are methods to fight it.
Most people fight for the possible.
I fight for the impossible!

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Here's some Science,in the interim....
...If you are one of those people, possibly suffering in silence because of fear of being ridiculed or even being treated for a psychiatric disorder, please be reassured. You are not the victim of nocturnal attack by spirits or attempted abduction by aliens. Neither are you at greater risk than the general population of serious psychopathology.

Although most people do not opt for a paranormal interpretation, the experience is so common it only requires a small percentage of sufferers to do so to account for the very large number of claimed paranormal encounters.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/ ... -paralysis

http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/comm ... alysis.htm

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Sleep-para ... auses.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sleep-para ... ction.aspx
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

barnacle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by barnacle »

Nahemah: I've read all those articles, I've had SP regularly my whole life so I've done a fair bit of research on it. I don't have the time to get into all the interesting things I've discovered about the phenomenon but I'll paste something I wrote on another forum about the influence specific types of drugs have on it:
1.) Opioids - For some people, like myself, they induce extreme sleep paralysis and make it scarier. I should also add that most people agree that opioids give them nightmares which might explain why sleep paralysis is scarier on opioids. Conversely though, I have heard from many people who claim that opioids cure their sleep paralysis. There is a strong connection between opioids and sleep paralysis. Very interesting stuff. There are 3 main types of opioid receptors. mu, delta and kappa. Normal opioids like morphine act mainly on mu and delta but they also have some kappa activity. Interestingly, salvia divinorums effects binds to the kappa opioid receptor. Alright enough about that for now.

2.) Benzodiazepines - I heard from one regular SP sufferer that benzos allow him to go to sleep and bypass SP completely. Thats what I experienced last night. Usually though, on xanax, I go into this very mild sleep paralysis in which there are no hallucinations. Benzos act on the GABA_a receptor.

3.) GHB/phenibut type drugs - They allow me to bypass sleep paralysis completely. On GHB, the dreams just start, no sleep paralysis at all. Its only when I take opioids on top of the GHB that I get sleep paralysis, and in this case, there are no hallucinations. GHB and phenibut act on the GABA_b receptor. Interestingly, some people report that these types of drugs induce sleep paralysis in them. Like opioids, there is clearly a connection between GABAb agonists and sleep paralysis.

4.) Zolpidem - I was prescribed ambien once and this gave me a new type of sleep paralysis experience. Usually I only go into sleep paralysis right before I fall asleep, I never wake up paralysed. Well on zolpidem, I would regularly find myself paralysed during the night. The hallucinations weren't too intense but this was an extremely heavy type of sleep paralysis that was very difficult to pull myself out of.
BTW I've had lucid dreams my whole life too, no idea why but I seem to be naturally inclined to become lucid in dreams. Its got to the point where I seem to become lucid in 50% of my dreams. I've been flying for so long in LDs that I fly in all my non lucid dreams now. Had a pretty cool one last night where I got in a fight with someone and they came at me with a knife so I flew away, shapeshifted into a dragon then flew back and set them ablaze with a fireball. I hear that lucid dream skills work in the astral plane too so when I finally manage to get out of my body, I'll have a bit of a headstart. I'll keep to myself and avoid messing with anything though because things that live in the astral plane will obviously be far better able to operate there than I can. I've also heard that things can follow you back to your body and cause trouble for you.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

[I hear that lucid dream skills work in the astral plane too so when I finally manage to get out of my body, I'll have a bit of a headstart.
They do and you do have quite a decent headstart.
I'll keep to myself and avoid messing with anything though because things that live in the astral plane will obviously be far better able to operate there than I can. I've also heard that things can follow you back to your body and cause trouble for you.
Keepimg to yourself is sensible,but hey,the joy of soaring unbounded in open space can sometimes take over,lol,so don't be too cautious,all the time.

Life can be like this too,in the mundane,can it not,others out to cause you trouble and so on?

Remember your life skills and experience and all should be well.It's all cross transferable.

second degree
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by second degree »

It is not because one thing can be justified psychologicaly that it does not have an astral explanation. Remember as above so below. So yes sleep paralysis is a psychological disorder that can be due to several facts, like living a bad routine and so on , but it is also a demonic attack or the old hag or whatever anyone wants to call it. It is exactly like schizophrenia. Every demonic possesion case has a scientific explanation, if not in mainstream science you will find a logical explanation in quantum physics. If you feel it is a demonic attack from the astral plane than it is.

second degree
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by second degree »

For example in certain regions in the world, the most powerful and respected men have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of science. However they are able to cure poeple from many disorders by using prayer or rituals or special potions. That is simply because of the paradigm they use. They would consider for example that the person is under the attack of a demon, and they for example in the case of sufi marabouts would use verses of the quran wich they believed were effective in taking out the evil spirit. They would consider also many sicknesses as being the result of the devil and would cure them. It simply depends on the paradigm you use, if you use western psychology as a paradigm then it's sure as hell that anything you try appart from western medication or anything else won't work. All i want to say is there is not one specific way to look at things, like einstein said everything is relative [wink]

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Nahemah: I've read all those articles, I've had SP regularly my whole life so I've done a fair bit of research on it. I don't have the time to get into all the interesting things I've discovered about the phenomenon but I'll paste something I wrote on another forum about the influence specific types of drugs have on it:

1.) Opioids - For some people, like myself, they induce extreme sleep paralysis and make it scarier. I should also add that most people agree that opioids give them nightmares which might explain why sleep paralysis is scarier on opioids. Conversely though, I have heard from many people who claim that opioids cure their sleep paralysis. There is a strong connection between opioids and sleep paralysis. Very interesting stuff. There are 3 main types of opioid receptors. mu, delta and kappa. Normal opioids like morphine act mainly on mu and delta but they also have some kappa activity. Interestingly, salvia divinorums effects binds to the kappa opioid receptor. Alright enough about that for now.

2.) Benzodiazepines - I heard from one regular SP sufferer that benzos allow him to go to sleep and bypass SP completely. Thats what I experienced last night. Usually though, on xanax, I go into this very mild sleep paralysis in which there are no hallucinations. Benzos act on the GABA_a receptor.

3.) GHB/phenibut type drugs - They allow me to bypass sleep paralysis completely. On GHB, the dreams just start, no sleep paralysis at all. Its only when I take opioids on top of the GHB that I get sleep paralysis, and in this case, there are no hallucinations. GHB and phenibut act on the GABA_b receptor. Interestingly, some people report that these types of drugs induce sleep paralysis in them. Like opioids, there is clearly a connection between GABAb agonists and sleep paralysis.

4.) Zolpidem - I was prescribed ambien once and this gave me a new type of sleep paralysis experience. Usually I only go into sleep paralysis right before I fall asleep, I never wake up paralysed. Well on zolpidem, I would regularly find myself paralysed during the night. The hallucinations weren't too intense but this was an extremely heavy type of sleep paralysis that was very difficult to pull myself out of.
Yes,sorry was a bit gratuitous with the linkage,lol.

I find this fascinating,barnacle.I am very interested in drug interactions and I know others have reported similar effects to yours,in regard to affecting the sleep paralysis.

I 'd like a topic on this,seperately, for further discussion. [thumbup]

I find cannabis most helpful in reducing/stopping/controlling the sleep paralysis,but I 'm contraindicated for most NSAIDS and Opoids,due to an underlying medical condition,so I lack personal experience of these other interactions.
[My experimentation with GHB was many years ago and I don't recall if it affected me thusly.Too long ago,lol.]

BTW I've had lucid dreams my whole life too, no idea why but I seem to be naturally inclined to become lucid in dreams. Its got to the point where I seem to become lucid in 50% of my dreams. I've been flying for so long in LDs that I fly in all my non lucid dreams now. Had a pretty cool one last night where I got in a fight with someone and they came at me with a knife so I flew away, shapeshifted into a dragon then flew back and set them ablaze with a fireball. I hear that lucid dream skills work in the astral plane too so when I finally manage to get out of my body, I'll have a bit of a headstart. I'll keep to myself and avoid messing with anything though because things that live in the astral plane will obviously be far better able to operate there than I can. I've also heard that things can follow you back to your body and cause trouble for you.
I 'd like topics here for Lucidity and for other related areas too,inclusive of the spiritual and mental aspects of working with/through [and also against] sleep paralysis.It's a huge subject to explore,with many avenues and turns of thought.The mythical,religious and folkloric aspects should of course,also be explored.There's certainly lots to think about and ponder on.

Islude
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Islude »

Well, I ended up on this forum for something completely unrelated but I saw this thread and figured I'd say something, since I've had some experience with sleep paralysis. My sleep paralysis has been less and less frequent as I've gotten older, which I'm somewhat thankful for, though I've always been curious as to what it would be like to master lucid dreaming and such. I wanted to actually get some thoughts on one of my experiences because its the reason I'm afraid of this being trapped like this again. Several years ago, I'd fallen into sleep paralysis and, per usual, I spent what felt like hours screaming in my own head, hoping someone would hear me. At one point, I got the bright idea to try and force myself awake, so I tried to pull myself up off the bed, even though my body felt like it weighed a ton. After what felt like one of the hardest struggles of my life, I managed to get to a sitting position. I was worn out, my chest hurt terribly, and worst, when I ventured a look at my bed, I was still laying there, asleep. Scared out of my head and giving into the pain in my metaphysical chest, I felt myself snap back into my body and woke up immediately.

I know this probably sounds like complete bull, especially coming from someone who created an account just minutes ago, but I'm not lying or trolling, my heart hurts right now just remembering it all.

Q789
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Q789 »

Can you describe the 'Old hag' for me please?

Islude
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Islude »

The Old Hag as I remember her was a thin, shadowy, but decidedly feminine creature, there were more finite details about her looks but either I can't remember them or my mind won't let me. My only brush with her was during a different bout of sleep paralysis where she appeared at the foot of my bed and slowly crawled her way up towards my chest. I had managed to force myself awake before she could do any damage but it was still terrifying to say the least. I understand different people have different interpretations of her, but that was my personal experience.

Q789
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Q789 »

Islude, I am going to recommend to you to do the LBR regularly. After, a couple of years of less, you will have developed certain 'magickal tools', these will be built into your pysche. Now the LBR is certain to assist you in these sort of intrusions. However, when such defense becomes 'built in'- defense becomes just a matter of course. If anything tried that with me it would get smashed to kingdom come. But on the other hand, they seem to know, who they can get away with it and who they can't. I know they can tell an adept and they know when they see someone with magickal skills too.

Other than that i wonder if your 'Psycho sexual system' is complete(using Reichian theories). I wonder if your energy system is not strong, if you have a 'hole' in your aura. That attracts trouble.

Q

sisyphean
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by sisyphean »

I'm new to everything. This thread intrigued me though because I have several times seen an old hag in my dreams. Damn near skeletal. Although she has been on a gurney or table every time. Posters flying about all around me that say "Have you seen me?" with a picture of her. Also, I've had recurring nightmares with something that sounds similar to shadow rapist. When I was about 6, it started as a small impish goblin like man. It would chase me and tackle me, always in the house that I was in at the time, and rip my chest and neck. When I awoke I had a strange sensation in the side of my neck. As I have gotten older, at about age 14 the thing change into a shadow. At about age 23, it became an invisible-ish aura. I have intense fear and a jolt of pain when I wake up. Are these related to this that you are speaking of?

barnacle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by barnacle »

second degree wrote:For example in certain regions in the world, the most powerful and respected men have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of science. However they are able to cure poeple from many disorders by using prayer or rituals or special potions. That is simply because of the paradigm they use. They would consider for example that the person is under the attack of a demon, and they for example in the case of sufi marabouts would use verses of the quran wich they believed were effective in taking out the evil spirit. They would consider also many sicknesses as being the result of the devil and would cure them. It simply depends on the paradigm you use, if you use western psychology as a paradigm then it's sure as hell that anything you try appart from western medication or anything else won't work. All i want to say is there is not one specific way to look at things, like einstein said everything is relative [wink]
Various indigenous tribes in the Amazon jungle have advanced knowledge of DNA, molecular structures and medicinal and psychoactive plants and compounds and they claim to have obtained this knowledge directly from ayahuasca. They look at it through a completely different paradigm, one which the western mind is incompatible with. For example, they believe that the universe communicates through symbolic form, for example there is a plant which contains antivenom which they use to cure snake bites, the plant itself looks like it has snake fangs. The indigenous tribes there believe that the plant looking the way it does is directly related to the fact it contains antivenom. Anyone who has reached a certain degree of wisdom should be well aware of this principle. Our paradigm/logical system is far from infallible. These indigenous tribes obtain knowledge using methods that are impossible to the paradigm/logical system of most westerners. As you say, they also heal a wide range of ailments and are capable of curing things that western doctors cannot. I have had some psychotic episodes and in them, I learned a great deal about how all this works. For example, we have these logical explanations for why we enter these altered states such as "I took this or that substance" but maybe we would have entered these states anyway, our brains just come up with these explanations because they fit our logical systems.

With all that said, I disagree with what you are saying. You say "if you feel it is a demonic possession, then it is". You cannot say with certainty if anything "is". For example, lets say I have a rash on my hand and my belief is that the rash is caused by evil subterranean leprechauns which are using an electromagnetic device to target a microchip in my hand that causes epigenetic changes to my chromosomes that is causing the rash. The less outlandish explanation is that my cat was licking my hand and I'm allergic to something in the cats saliva. Are you saying that evil subterranean leprechauns are also to blame for the rash, simply because I feel like thats how it is?

barnacle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by barnacle »

Q789 wrote:Islude, I am going to recommend to you to do the LBR regularly. After, a couple of years of less, you will have developed certain 'magickal tools', these will be built into your pysche. Now the LBR is certain to assist you in these sort of intrusions. However, when such defense becomes 'built in'- defense becomes just a matter of course. If anything tried that with me it would get smashed to kingdom come. But on the other hand, they seem to know, who they can get away with it and who they can't. I know they can tell an adept and they know when they see someone with magickal skills too.

Other than that i wonder if your 'Psycho sexual system' is complete(using Reichian theories). I wonder if your energy system is not strong, if you have a 'hole' in your aura. That attracts trouble.

Q
Thats interesting. When the hallucinations are really bothering me (i.e. I often get prodded in the back with what feels like jagged objects or bony fingers and sometimes even get molested by them) I usually hallucinate arm movement and reach behind (I sleep on my side and they are always behind me for some reason) myself and grab them. I usually try to break the bony finger that is poking me or strangle the things behind me but it never has any effect, they don't react at all. I've tried various other things but nothing has worked. The only thing which works is when I don't react at all, but rather just observe. If these things are actually astral entities, then I'd be inclined to assume that they are looking for reactions and when they aren't getting any from you, they lose interest in you.

Islude
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Islude »

Friends, I know it's been a long time since I posted on here and most likely no one remembers me, but.. I need help. I was attacked this morning. I had been up all night and finally hit the bed at like.. 6am. I don't think I slept an hour before I was hit with a more powerful feeling of paralysis than I've ever felt. I mean, I can make no qualms about it, I was fully awake and completely paralyzed with the exception of my right eye. As I used all my will to keep it open and figure out what was going on around me, I felt hands gripping my throat and strangling me. They weren't my own, I could feel my hands in their resting positions. It broke my concentration enough to cause my eye to close for a split second where I saw a bluish skull-like face in a mass of black (hair?) maybe inches from my own face. The shock of that face was enough to give me the will power needed to wake my body up. I still felt the hands on my throat for a few seconds after but that was it. I've never had something physically attack me with that much strength and no physical presence. I honestly don't know what to do here. The hag has come for me before but I've always managed to wake up without anything like this happening. I mean hell.. I haven't had a sleep paralysis attack in a few years and then this? Help me.

Return to “Sleep Paralysis”