trance through rapid motion?

Arahant
Forum Member
Forum Member

trance through rapid motion?

Post by Arahant »

Not sure if this is right subforum for this. Im wondering if anyone knows about the concept of inducing trance by staring at/through motion/rapid motion.

I have this odd personal behavior where when i get excited i sometimes move my fingers rapidly in front of my field of vision, its kinda embarrassing and i dont it in front of anyone... but lately iv started to notice that when i do it, even though i usually dont do it for more then 5-10 seconds... that i sort of feel myself quickly entering into a trance like state.

I havnt done any work on going into trances myself, but i know what it feels like to be driving and not remember anything about your driving for a length of time, and it feels like that.

The reason i cant just try and practice it and see if i can go into a trance is because it expends to much energy and i dont think i could sustain for more then 20-30 seconds.

Anyways, what im wondering is if anyone knows about trances being triggered through rapid motion, as a practice, if so does it have a name? im wondering what sort of practical device or object i could use that has sustained rapid motion that could be used. As im writing this im remember the idea of indigenous people dancing around a fire to go into a trance, or even just falling into a trance staring into the motion of flames in a fire, so im sure this must have been practiced in a number of ways.

I sort of feel like the rapid beating of wings would sort of mimick what it feels like when im looking through the motion in my fingers.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: trance through rapid motion?

Post by chowderpope »

Recently I have been working with strobe lights which are known to facilitate trace, hence why they are so popular in dance clubs. Essentially the rapidly shifting light could be considered a rapid motion, I think your finger moving method would probably have a similar effect.

I forgot the name of it, but I had seen an older invention of a paper cylinder with a candle inside. The cylinder rotates around the candle, and holes in the paper create a strobe effect. A person would sit in front of this device and stare at it to induce hypnosis.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Considering your title:

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

But you know, it almost sounds more like selfhypnosis than trance.

I would really recommend this book and emdr therapy because it sounds like you could get some great success with it really fast.

https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Past-You ... 1609619951

--------

Another method of selfhypnosis is to use a lightsource (candle) and then an swinging object that breaks that lightsource (like a clock, a pendulum or my favorite a metronome).
I found some videos here:

http://hypnosishealthinfo.com/hypnosism ... ht-switch/

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote:Recently I have been working with strobe lights which are known to facilitate trace, hence why they are so popular in dance clubs. Essentially the rapidly shifting light could be considered a rapid motion, I think your finger moving method would probably have a similar effect.
The best thing about strobes is that they change the light in the entire room. (If you turn of all other light) And with some loud music you really do isolate yourself away from the room, away from your self, away from your body and your mind is much more free to travel.

There are some shamanic drumming music you can get on amazon or other internetsites that has fix time limits and call backs in the end, so that you can go full in for 15-30 minutes and have some sort of safety calling you back.

Arahant
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Arahant »

thanks for replies. As to the comment about strobe lights, when i read that it reminded me that when i was younger i used to have a light/sound machine, you both probably know what that is but its a device that uses binaural beats(audio) and flashing leds within special glasses that strobe at a frequency that relates to brainwaves, the longer you watch/listen your brain just natural changes its brainwaves to match the waves of frequency in the strobing.

A couple days ago i had the memory come back to me and i was looking at some devices online wondering if i should get anther one, but then i forgot about it. When i got the idea about motion from my fingers I didnt really make any connection, but maby this is my subconscious trying to keep prodding me in this direction.

Thanks for the links desecrated, I watched the video on the lightswitch hypnosis and like the idea, Im going to try and incorporate it into my daily exercises(mental). Im going to get the book and put it on my list of books i need to read, which isnt that long right now so hopefully i can get to it soon.

Next
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Next »

Music video on repeat

Siren Song
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Siren Song »

I have had some very good experiences with using ecstatic dance as a warm-up, so to speak, for meditation. We never used strobes, but we did use drum music. After about 20-15mins, the music is turned off, lights dimmed, and we would drop into stillness.

Return to “Dreams and The Unconscious”