Sleep deprivation as a vision catalyst

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sleep deprivation as a vision catalyst

Post by chowderpope »

Has anyone noticed that when you stay up really late and get really tired, you have intense visions when trying to go to sleep? I feel like a lvl 99 wizard at that point. I think it would be a good time to do some magic. Does anyone utilize states like this for magic?
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Sleep deprivation as a vision catalyst

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

Very , very ancient shamanic technique...

One of the very first , actually...

Think back , when we were in caves , or in trees , just to stay safe ,
and were always having to be alert just to stay alive...it was common
occurrence to have visions , and magical experiences...

( or just wait until you are older , and sleep is very strange and sporadic in cycles )

Next time , when you achieve that state , try gently palming your eyeballs...

Phosphene City !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphene
Attachments
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (198.74 KiB) Viewed 10007 times

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Yes, just yesterday I was tripping at work, loaded with caffeine and after 48h with no sleep. At some point it became even auditory, I actually start hearing some distant music and some lady singing, coming in waves, even though it wasn't loud or clear enough to get any clear sense of melody or words.. [crazy]

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Cerber wrote:Yes, just yesterday I was tripping at work, loaded with caffeine and after 48h with no sleep. At some point it became even auditory, I actually start hearing some distant music and some lady singing, coming in waves, even though it wasn't loud or clear enough to get any clear sense of melody or words.. [crazy]
You know it's over when you hear the "fat" lady singing... [wink]

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Shawn Blackwolf wrote: You know it's over when you hear the "fat" lady singing... [wink]
Well then, let's pop the champagne.. [yay]

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Yes, auditory hallucinations happen with me when I stay up too long, even if it's just 5 hours past the time I went to sleep the night before. Good stuff.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

I have heard about people using SD as a Mystical/Magical Technique. Sleep states are connected with some really interesting phenomena so I can see SD as being in the same Ballpark, a sort of precursor.

I don't like it though. When I am in a state of SD I will forego the more difficult activities for simpler ones(using the computer, et cetera)until I have gotten a fair amount of sleep. So I end up wasting a lot of time when I am tired.

I don't like performing Rituals when extremely tired either. I will cancel those as they fall into a category of things with a higher rate of difficulty, but I usually enjoy them very much otherwise.

Caffeine isn't really a solution for me either. I have become very tolerant to it over the years, but the Yerba Mate that is found in some energy shots works really well. I also buy the Yerba Mate in capsule form sometimes from the natural foods store.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

bathtub-alchemist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bathtub-alchemist »

you can get a lot more visionary potential from entheogenic substances while deprived of food and sleep. I caution anyone performing magick in this state though....delirium may result in unintended effects....I know it has for me

Hound
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hound »

It goes without saying that actions made in this state should be exercised with caution. And one shouldn't seek to preform anything moderate to important while in this state. But it's a good time of being to distance yourself from the barriers of the human experience. I use this, on occasion, to achieve a more stable journey state. Most often we are our own worst enemy when it comes to interacting with the other side. Be it fear, hesitation, doubt, etc. Such things have less of an influence when your body operates at reduced capacity.

Information acquired while deprived should be judged harshly, though.

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

"Information acquired while deprived should be judged harshly, though."

We are all deprived of the ultimate answer ;
Therefore , *all* information should be "judged harshly"...

But , yes , I can agree with your statement , Hound...

However , as for another statement :

"And one shouldn't seek to preform ( perform ) anything moderate to important while in this state"

Hmmm...I tend to be more like Crowley , in this regard...full blown ritual , applying
oneself to high level mathematics , holding coherent conversations with police officers ,
or corporate executives , and wheeling and dealing , designing and building elaborate
art , from paintings , sculpture , jewelry , architecture...been there done that...;)

This is some of the other tests I put myself through...

From another thread , on another site :

"I could tell you another , much more positive story , of my fifty button

peyote tea journey , ( yet still a hard lesson , without a guide in the

desert ) , when I was a member of the Peyote Way Church back in the

1970's , but that is for another time...perhaps...;)

This is coming from someone who also ingested 50 hits of 4 way Clearlight ,

just to see what it would do , with three other people...( two hundred hits

of pure *really pure* LSD by myself )...some of us have been the trailblazers ,

in any time period , yet that does not mean that trailblazing does not come without dangers...it almost always does...fair warning !

Animism , totemic magic , drumming , singing / chanting , shamanic dancing...

Yes , those are all good possibilities to explore...I have as well used sleep

deprivation , self hypnosis , ritual , and magic in many forms , to re - metaprogram

my human body computer...

I have even used visualization of geometric forms , up to eleven dimensions ,

or combined runeshapes in my mind , while using call and drone technique ,

to alter consciousness..."

And with every one of the above altered states , challenged myself to operate coherently ,
and move and act within the mundane world , and general populace , while in those states ,
at one time or another...pushing the boundaries ( yes , with care ) is how we advance in
consciousness and ability...

Hound
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hound »

Indeed, Shawn.

My method of cautionary wording simply has to do with the possibility that some individuals will rush into a situation, or practice, without much thought. Not that I assume anyone here would. It's more of a could, if that makes sense. When individuals come to places like these looking for quick answers, they are often at that time experiencing a form of desperation. The wrong idea seeded at the wrong time... well. It can be an excellent way to learn from mistakes.

Pushing boundaries is an important part of the process.

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

...LOL...

What came to my mind , was the "Johnny Appleseed Of Altered States"... [wink]

Return to “Dreams and The Unconscious”