Good info sources for newcomer

Free to access learning tools, information and resources.

Jesus_Chrysler
Forum Member
Forum Member

Good info sources for newcomer

Post by Jesus_Chrysler »

I've read Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts, The Satanic Bible, and have been reading Condensed Chaos and found them difficult to understand/relate to. I've been thinking about getting a hold of "Modern Magick" again because I didn't follow it as precisely as I could have. The Satanic Bible starts off interesting and is easy enough to understand before losing me in "The Book of Lucifer" section and Condensed Chaos is quite confusing to me. What were good first books that you guys have come across that gave you a foundation to develop spiritually from? I go on a two week vacation from work starting next week and would really like to dedicate some time to finding a path.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Good info sources for newcomer

Post by Desecrated »

Jesus_Chrysler wrote:I've read Modern Magick: Twelve Lessons in the High Magickal Arts, The Satanic Bible, and have been reading Condensed Chaos and found them difficult to understand/relate to. I've been thinking about getting a hold of "Modern Magick" again because I didn't follow it as precisely as I could have. The Satanic Bible starts off interesting and is easy enough to understand before losing me in "The Book of Lucifer" section and Condensed Chaos is quite confusing to me. What were good first books that you guys have come across that gave you a foundation to develop spiritually from? I go on a two week vacation from work starting next week and would really like to dedicate some time to finding a path.
Condensed Chaos is pretty hard to read.
Peter J. Carroll - "Liber null & the psychonaut" is one of the earliest books about chaos magic and it is fairly easy to understand. There is a lot of practical exercises that you can do as well.

The satanic bible is a great work of philosophy, but the magic described in it is just piss poor and not worth spending any time on. LaVey later wrote a book called 'the satanic witch', it is more devoted to low magick and is easier to execute in your daily life.
It's also funny as hell.

Modern Magick is considered to be one of the best beginners book. But it is thick and you probably need to re-read a couple of chapters. It's also made as an introduction to many subject and since it does not give ALL answers it might sometimes be a bit confusing.

A.E Waite - 'the book of ceremonial magic' is a good book for getting an overview to renaissance magic and the base that modern magick stands on.

Another book that is easy to read, cuts out most of the bullshit and would balance really good with the other books you've read is Jason miller - The sorcerer's secret - Strategies in practical magick.
It is by no means a complete course, but it gives you some good tips and pointers.

ErebusNamtar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ErebusNamtar »

I hear a lot of people talking negatively about La Vey's magic but IMO it works great. It's just really, really basic.
Maybe it's because I started out with it myself, was a registered member for a long time. I still find myself in many of La Vey's writings. I guess it's also why I am now into chaos magic, Satanic Greater Magic is really about the feels rather than rules and that has always struck a chord with me. Will rather than endless rituals I feel nothing for.

Jesus_Chrysler; what parts confused you in particular? Maybe head over the the CoS main page and read some of the FAQ's on magic there. It explains some things in more detail. Also, like I said earlier sometimes it's not about not 'getting' it but simply not feeling it. It takes some time to get the magic that is right for you. Just because something works for a group of people does not mean it should work for you.
Good luck.

Jesus_Chrysler
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jesus_Chrysler »

ErebusNamtar wrote:I hear a lot of people talking negatively about La Vey's magic but IMO it works great. It's just really, really basic.
Maybe it's because I started out with it myself, was a registered member for a long time. I still find myself in many of La Vey's writings. I guess it's also why I am now into chaos magic, Satanic Greater Magic is really about the feels rather than rules and that has always struck a chord with me. Will rather than endless rituals I feel nothing for.

Jesus_Chrysler; what parts confused you in particular? Maybe head over the the CoS main page and read some of the FAQ's on magic there. It explains some things in more detail. Also, like I said earlier sometimes it's not about not 'getting' it but simply not feeling it. It takes some time to get the magic that is right for you. Just because something works for a group of people does not mean it should work for you.
Good luck.
Upon reading through it a second time I think you're right. It's a matter of "not feeling it" than not "getting" it. It doesn't resonate with me. I may just be to mercurial to ever be tied down by a dogma. I don't feel as if I'm a God, I'm confused about "Life After Death Through Fulfillment Of The Ego" and I don't get the lesser magic on attraction.. Specifically using the "natural secretions of the body" as a sort of cologne.

ErebusNamtar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ErebusNamtar »

Which is fine as you are the one that needs to work with it in the end. No matter what anyone thinks, if it work for you...go for it! If it doesn't, bin it! [thumbup]

Return to “Learning Tools and Resources”