Liber MMM discussion - Discipline 1: Motionlessness

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Liber MMM discussion - Discipline 1: Motionlessness

Post by Eremita »

Hey there Maya, I have a (non-related) question for you: why do you write 'Praise Teh Sun' at the end of your posts? Is it a pop culture reference?

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Maya The Generator »

Hahaha, It is my little joke. I am quiet fan of game called Dark Souls. There is character I find myself very close to: " Solaire of Astora". In series and community he is one of the kindest things you can encounter in harsh world of Souls series. If you want to know more you should play a game or visit some wiki. There is very wierd lore in this game. It is perspective on European myth and legends/history by Hidetaka Miyazaki(Japanese director).

PRAISE TEH SUN\[T]/ <- This little guy is sunbro: Solaire of Astora and my Avatar got him too.

Have a good day.
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

Oh I see, thanks for explaining. [happy]

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Hi, I'm back. Keep practicing motionlessness and recording your results. I'll be doing so again, now I have time once more, and will record my results on this thread. You're all doing so well - this is what a lot of magick is about - keeping at it, every day, all the time.

VrbsSou
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VrbsSou »

Hello and thank you for letting me in :) I was practising Liber MMM before enrolling (less than a week) and my results have all of them been over 10 minutes. Once I achieved 15 minutes with some movement and blinking; others, I got up to 10 and 12 minutes, but I was trying hard not to fall asleep. My best day I achieved 14 minutes before wanting to check how much time ellapsed, but I did it with minimal movement (just involuntary twitches and almost no blinking).

I want to achieve 15 minutes in similar conditions as my best day, and I've been practising daily. Yesterday I was falling asleep while keeping the position, and I gave up at 12 minutes.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nice too have another student in class! Hello there. [yay]

I keep my score at 15 min for every time I pratice. I made few longer sessions to test myself, I had no bigger problem staying longer. The main challenge every time I begin practice is finding the spot and fighting itches but after that it is pure fun to lay down do nothing. I started to fuse not thinking and motionlessness which is good training right now. [gz]

Stay hyped, have fun and Praise teh Sun! \[T]/ [cool]

Edit: I don't have much to say in your tread @VrbsSou and I wasn't there when you asked some questions but as I see you managed without my assistance [thumbup] have fun, remember we respect time of others so sometimes there will pass some of it before you will get your answer. Clockwork Knight made topic in which he asks about new treads, If you have something on your mind - write it there.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact

VrbsSou
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VrbsSou »

Thank you Maya! Sure, I can wait given Clockwork already stated he's quite busy, and I understand that. But at least I come here to report as requested in the thread :) And to state my advancement aswell.

So, all I have to do (following your own post) is to continue the motionlessness training. Thank you!

VrbsSou
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VrbsSou »

Sorry for posting twice in a row, but I believe this is important to point out.

Today when doing my exercise I noticed one thing, that not my body, but my mind, gets desperate when my body is motionless. Something within me cannot stand keeping still, even when my body is perfectly fine with it. I wonder, why is it? How can I fight it... or not fight it?

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Try distracting your mind with other things - TV, music, day dreaming. At this stage you don't need to have a mental focus, so your mind is free to do whatever it pleases, this is all about physical stillness.

Keep recording your results each time you try. Don't worry if you don't seem to be progressing, what matters is that you can maintain a period of stillness, which then leads into breathing, then into no mind - it's all about progression.

VrbsSou
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by VrbsSou »

Thank you! Alright, so I'll just daydream while I'm on it!

Serenaisa22
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Serenaisa22 »

Thank you for accepting me in the class - I hope I will be able to catch with you.

I am having the main problem with saliva - I have never noticed that before by meditations, but I have read your comments and some of you have mentioned this - and it seems I am too focused on that. Today, I have managed 13 minutes.

Yesterday, I managed to remain motionless for 16 minutes, but I think I have fallen asleep for some time - or I just lost myself.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Well done! That's fantastic! Yeah, saliva and itches - you will get to know those two things well [grin]

Serenaisa22
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Serenaisa22 »

20 minutes today. I will continue with the next lesson. [happy]

Deathquota
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathquota »

A little over a week back I managed 20 minutes while on the beach. I'm still struggling. Joined a guided meditation class too. I'll take your advice, Clockwork_Ghost.
Studying tantra with my entire soul right now, If you mind.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Good to know many of you still sit here, nothing moar encouraging than knowing somebody does it too. [yay]

I added 5 minutes to my excercise: Now I recline like a log for 20 min everyday morning(if I can't, I do it after shower in the evening). [tongue]

Have fun, stay hyped and Praise teh Sun \[T]/ [cool]

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Yes, keep it up guys - you're all doing really well, those who continue posting here, and I hope those who aren't posting are still doing the exercises - I know I definitely am. This is rule numero uno, the Big Secret to magick - you have to keep at it, you can't give up. A lot of magick is repetition - your mind is like a muscle, you have to exercise it. In the same way you can't expect to run a marathon if you don't train every day, how can you expect to evoke something if you can't remain in a specific mindset throughout the ritual? This is training - training the mind and body to reduce focus to a single point, and then to apply the will to cause change in conformity with desire.

We'll be going on to the first of the visualisations in the next week or so, but you have to achieve even a second of no mind before we do - we have to reduce all that noise down, de-clutter the consciousness so that you can impose your own will on your own mind, then we will use that focus to begin creating things.

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

Hi,

This is my first post over here. First of all thankyou for accepting me in this study group.

I'm fairly recent to this training. So far i'm still struggling with motionless and slowly trying to introduce breathing.
Today not as good results as yesterday. My first two attempts were a failure. After a few minutes something made me move. Stopped for a while and then tried again, now with better results. I just ended a 25 min period almost motion free. I say almost because i noticed some of my fingers rised a little bit without my awareness, i started with my hands completly flat against my legs but somewhere around the session some fingers rise a little bit so that some are touching the leg and others aren't. Can someone relate to this?

I slept really bad today (couple of hours) and drunk a few coffees along the day to get me trough, so it might have something to do with that.

What do you feel about the interference of substances like caffeine, nicotine, alcohol (or drugs in general) in these practices?

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

It depends. I hate coffe, I feel like my tummy is being wrecked after it. I like to practice clean or little stoned but often clean couse I don't like when my perception is getting sharper and some substance is anoying then. I left cigarettes some months ago and I can recommend this move. [thumbup]

Praise Teh Sun \[T]/ [cool]

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

Don't know if this is a closed-loop discussion, in my own way I'm doing something along these lines with Step I of Israel Regardie's One Year Manual. It requires at least ten minutes a day, twice daily, of both laying perfectly still and focusing on your body's senses as vividly as possible without moving.

The two things I notice with myself

1) post-nasal drip is a difficulty. I can keep the rest of my body still, itches or no itches, but when I feel like drainage is headed down my throat toward my windpipe it's a bit beyond me to stop myself from swallowing yet. Will at least aim to reduce that if it's purely a psychological issue.

2) I've had RLS (restless legs syndrome) most of my life and I've noticed that if my chemistry's in a balance where it's going to start up and I do this exercise, like in the session I just completed, I'll get to where at seven or eight minutes in I'll have involuntary twitching in a leg or foot. I'll feel the urge to move, I won't, and it's as if the impulse builds up enough impetus to go without my approval. I'm starting to wonder if RLS is something that an exercise like this can improve; my best guess is that a lot of people like myself have low serotonin budgets and our bodies compensate by giving less to the leg muscles and this could cause a slow mind-over-matter improvement in that department.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

shmatka
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by shmatka »

it's been a long time since I post anything on the forum, truth be said my dedication has flaws in commitment and routine. most I could report back, as in from recently, would be from the dream realm, but then again there's not much that I would be able to transform into words. well, lets get to it.
like I said I dont have any sort of routine. sometimes I do this lying down before sleeping, with my arms laying down aside. i always feel a heavy head, weather lying down or sitting. i find it easier lying down, not moving. because when im sitting down i feel the weight of my head standing in the way of everything, lately i have been kind of facing upwards a little instead of plain front, that seems to work. i tend to twitch my head as well, sometimes, cant really tell why. other than that, once i get in a comfortable position, I have no problem in standing that way, though sometimes pressure develops on my back

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

Teal Swan on the topic:
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

I have practiced motionlessness from time to time and I believe I have become proficient in it. It's very interesting to be able to control yourself even when faced with pain, or great discomfort. Now, I know that pain means "something is wrong" but I just wanted to see how far can I go.

I haven't practiced it disciplined but in short fits and often as I could or as I remembered to do. Whether I was waiting or looking at the scenery, or anytime I was able not to move, I did it. It has resulted in some previously unimaginable mental discipline. I believe that this strength helps me now as I can willingly make myself work even if I am tired, unmotivated or completely relax some cravings or banish them with a decision. This is the best part - it can be applied to every aspect of your life where you need to control yourself. But as Shinichi wrote in her Fundamental Development, it should be gentle, relaxing, natural as a flow of a river.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

EternalReturn wrote:I have practiced motionlessness from time to time and I believe I have become proficient in it. It's very interesting to be able to control yourself even when faced with pain, or great discomfort. Now, I know that pain means "something is wrong" but I just wanted to see how far can I go.

I haven't practiced it disciplined but in short fits and often as I could or as I remembered to do. Whether I was waiting or looking at the scenery, or anytime I was able not to move, I did it. It has resulted in some previously unimaginable mental discipline. I believe that this strength helps me now as I can willingly make myself work even if I am tired, unmotivated or completely relax some cravings or banish them with a decision. This is the best part - it can be applied to every aspect of your life where you need to control yourself. But as Shinichi wrote in her Fundamental Development, it should be gentle, relaxing, natural as a flow of a river.
Wow... great to hear you're getting so much from this, and you're absolutely right. Being able to achieve a motionless state can then begin to be applied to other states than motionless. If you can fix and isolate a physical sense of being like motionlessness then through a single pointed act of self control you can also achieve and maintain mental states of pure focus. A lot of people seem to think that being 'free' is to be without restraint, but I believe its to be in a state of pure self restraint, as you cease to be swayed by the negative emotional impact of other peoples actions. This self restraint isn't bound by other peoples expectations or systems of self belief, but is wholly based on what is acceptable to the self, and therefore a personal code of ethics and of practice.

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

Clockwork_Ghost wrote:
EternalReturn wrote:I have practiced motionlessness from time to time and I believe I have become proficient in it. It's very interesting to be able to control yourself even when faced with pain, or great discomfort. Now, I know that pain means "something is wrong" but I just wanted to see how far can I go.

Wow... great to hear you're getting so much from this, and you're absolutely right. Being able to achieve a motionless state can then begin to be applied to other states than motionless. If you can fix and isolate a physical sense of being like motionlessness then through a single pointed act of self control you can also achieve and maintain mental states of pure focus. A lot of people seem to think that being 'free' is to be without restraint, but I believe its to be in a state of pure self restraint, as you cease to be swayed by the negative emotional impact of other peoples actions. This self restraint isn't bound by other peoples expectations or systems of self belief, but is wholly based on what is acceptable to the self, and therefore a personal code of ethics and of practice.
It is all an interplay of balanced forces. It is something that echoes so loud throughout anything that man has made, written or thought of that it is impossible to escape it. But it really seems so. By moving the pendulum with a speed and force which one desires, he can achieve wonders. But a lot of wisdom and experience is needed to do so in balanced fashion :D

Cam Revillot
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cam Revillot »

Just joined. Not sure if this is the right thread to post in as its been going so long. Feel free to delete if that's the case.

Journal so far, before I found this place:
Spoiler:
Today is 12/01/15
I've been reading Liber Null a lot lately after having discovered it this past Thanksgiving morning. An article about one of the West Memphis 3 using Magick to cope in prison got me searching, and my search lead me to Liber Null. After checking the book out pretty thoroughly I think it's time to start practicing, and in doing so I have started a diary.

Last night I practiced motionlessness for the first time seriously. Made it about 17min but moved a bit, my mind wandered a bit, and I almost drifted off.

I just did 16min a moment ago with the same results.

So far I've been doing it laying down in a comfortable position with my eyes closed or nearly closed, as that's the only way I know not to blink, and staring is a separate exercise. Perhaps I'm cheating? I think next time I will try in a less comfortable position so as to be less likely to nod off.

I'm a little disappointed that the only Magick weapon I can think of is in Alabama with Ryan. Will need something for the banishing ritual.

Today is 12/04/15
Three days have gone by already? I must improve on making sure to practice every day!

I practiced motionlessness today and made it over 15 minutes. I've been using a timer set for 16 (gives me a minute to get settled) and then stopping. Haven't really gone for a marathon yet.

This time I was in the sitting position and it greatly improved my ability to focus, I guess I really was almost nodding off when I practiced prone! I caught myself about to swallow a few times and stopped myself, still there was some small movement in the mouth that I caught so I must work on that. A few twitches in my feet and fingers but I do not believe they were outward, just the muscle. My mind wandered a bit but not as much as when I was prone.Definitely improving, but still needs work.

I'm still closing my eyes, because I'm not sure how else not to blink. Maybe I should ask reddit. I'll go do that now.

Today is 12/07/15
Motionless, sitting up, eyes closed about 13 min before I couldn't resist opening my eyes and looking at the time. I thought maybe I forgot to set the alarm.

Didn't move before that but my mind wandered a bit. Probably too tired and slouching too much.

Mixed messages asking online, but I got invited to a class.
Creator of Trinary Sigil Generator
Free sigil generator, tarot, rituals, runes, etc.

Return to “School of Magick Archive”