Three places - How to Read Tarot

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Three places - How to Read Tarot

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Lesson Plan Title: How to Read Tarot - from the beginning.

Concept / Topic To Teach: How to confidently read a standard 78 card tarot deck, what the cards mean and how they inter-relate to one another.

Standards Addressed: This is a standard, no nonsense approach to reading tarot, and as such is not Hermetic, Kabbalah, or directly linked to the Western Mystery Tradition. It will use standard recognised card meanings and a straightforward approach that doesn't rely on mysticism or psychic inference.

General Goal(s): Three students will receive direct instruction through the Classroom. Other students may make use of whatever course material is generated, but this course will just focus on three students at a time to ensure that all questions are addressed.

Specific Objectives: Students will feel confident providing an online email tarot card reading for someone, and will be able to discuss the meanings of the cards and how they relate to them themselves, both in regards to the traditional meanings and on the imagery in the cards.

Required Materials: A tarot deck, your journal.

Anticipatory Set (Lead-In): Purchase a tarot deck. Understand the difficulties in reading non-illustrated pip cards, so hopefully focus on getting a fully illustrated deck.

Step-By-Step Procedures: I will be offering an analysis of each card in turn to start with and looking at cards which directly link to each card, both for good reasons and bad. We will then look at the single card reading and the three card spread, and look at what cards can mean when drawn for specific questions, both non-reversed and reversed.

Plan For Independent Practice: The three enrolled students for this course must participate as much as possible, and will be encouraged to do other readings and study outside of the lessons.

- Closure (Reflect Anticipatory Set): This course will run until the students feel confident enough to not require assistance any longer. Course is set to three active students and as many other people who wish to use the course notes.

- Assessment Based On Objectives: Assessment will be through self-assessment and through participation in the courses. Questions will be encouraged.

- Adaptations (For Students With Learning Disabilities): As there is only a group of three students, all needs will be catered for on an individual basis.

- Extensions (For Gifted Students): Gifted students will be encouraged to push their studies, to maybe consider creating their own tarot deck, and to try out other spreads.

- Possible Connections To Other Subjects: Runes, I Ching, pendulum work. tarot is one of the most recognised forms of divination, and can lead into ritual work and meditative practices also.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Three places - How to Read Tarot

Post by Maya The Generator »

I am surely interested in topic. I don't know how many students already wrote to ya but I will gladly wait for my turn if everything is taken right now. I don't own Tarot deck but I think I can change that. I am waiting for some info about situation.

Edit: But I have a question. There are lot of tarot decks, I don't know anything about them. Are there any diffrence? I must say this decks are quiet expensive in my country. Some of them looks shitier than other but graphical element never was my problem. More am I interested in some basic knowledge about cards and decks.

Have fun, stay hyped and Paise Teh Sun \[T]/
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

You would be the first, so there is definitely a place open for you if you wish to enrol. The way I read tarot, it doesn't matter what the cards look like - I own over 150 tarot decks, and there is a huge range of diversity in the images, for sure. Some decks have an extreme degree of symbolism, and we will cover that, but the most important thing would be to get a deck you like to use - that is the key. It has to be a tarot deck, not an oracle deck, so it has to have 78 cards, of which 22 are major arcana, and should include four suits. If possible, those suits should be the equivalent of Wands, Pentacles, Swords, and Cups, though the exact name doesn't really matter that much. Try to avoid really outlandish decks, decks that add suits or cards, or oracle style decks masquerading as tarot.

What sorts of things are you interested in? There are decks for pretty much any theme you can name. Does Amazon deliver to your country? Amazon is by far the best place to shop for commercial tarot decks, in my opinion. I'll be exclusively using the Night Sun tarot, so you may want to consider getting that deck, it's up to you. the Night Sun is extremely occult, and eclectic in its approach to magick as a whole, just like me. The Fool is also a chaos magician, and that suits me just fine. [thumbup]

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

I seen some cards from Night Sun, It look good. Yeah, Amazon is new in my country but there it is. I will google in free time at work for how much(cheapest propably or after end of month I can think about more expensive one). You gave me some basic informations I needed, for now thats all I think. I can't wait to know if there will be more interested students. [pray]

This topic is quiet interesting, some time ago I was told that divination could be my best Art but on the other hand the same person told me that she is worried it could be too obsesive topic for me. I like to live with my head in the clouds. ahh, lets go with the flow. [thumbup]

Praise Teh Sun \[T]/ [cool]
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact

Serenaisa22
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Serenaisa22 »

I am also very much interested in this course. I am not new to tarot - I use Rider Waite and Thoth Tarot decks. And being an astrologer I combine Tarot with astrology. But I am still a beginner at Tarot and I would definetly like to learn more.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Cool, sounds good. That's two people. Maya needs a deck, and we just need one more person. If nobody else is interested, or expresses interest before Maya can get a tarot deck then we'll run this with just the two of you. [grin]

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

Hi there, guys. If you're looking specifically for three people, I'd be happy to play along. Although I learned to read Tarot years ago, and I'm not sure if you'd prefer a student with no prior knowledge - but I'm certainly no expert, and I am keen to get back into exploring the system further. Maybe I'll put myself forward as a tentative student unless somebody else wants the place?

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nice one - I'm actually going to make this four spots as Vjetruša has also expressed interest by PM. I'd really like you to get involved, Eremita - I'm sure you'd add some very interesting insights [thumbup]

Okay, first step is going to be getting tarot decks. As I've said, the symbolism isn't as important as having a deck that you can relate to, so no need to go grabbing solely Rider-Waite or Thoth decks, unless they specifically speak to you. If anyone wants any help finding a deck, let me know the sorts of things you're in to - angels, demons, gothic, cats, whatever - there are basically decks for every sort of clique.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Then maybe you can offer me some patterns? I would prefer to find deck that is either colorfull/happy/trippy or grim like Souls series but not Gore, more Dark Fantasy somebody could say. I will have some cash at the end of the month so then I will search for some shop in my city. [eg]

Edit: Night Sun is looking very good. Surely it is the best one I seen. I once in some tread seen this absolutly Acid Trippy one that was looking cool too.

Thats cool we have a party, I was very interested if there will be anyone curious of topic. [thumbup]

Praise Teh Sun \[T]/ [cool]

Vjetruša
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vjetruša »

Just to say hello to all of you.

I do have Medieval Scapini Tarot deck which I picked some time ago, but I would qualify myself as a complete beginner. So I'm really looking forward to participate in this course.

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

I'm still in time to join this class?

I just ordered my first tarok deck (it should arrive next week) so I'm almost ready to start learning.
I bought the Deviant Moon deck.

Serenaisa22
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Serenaisa22 »

Is it OK to use Osho Tarot deck? Or is it better to stick to Thoth - I really feel connected to Thoth the most. I was thinking to get a new deck for this, but in my country it is difficult to get one. There are a lot of decks available, mostly angel cards, but the number of cards is much smaller.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

Clockwork, are you cool with some people auditing the course from the sidelines and perhaps having a Q&A board to field some of the questions that three students may not have already asked?

I ask because, so long as we don't have a whole bunch of people bouncing up and down miffed that they weren't one of the selected three, you may only need to go through one cycle of students if it's all recorded in the forum and if the most relevant questions get fleshed out in that run.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

Serenaisa22 wrote:I really feel connected to Thoth the most.
In that case, I would suggest using your Thoth deck. The girl who introduced me to Tarot years ago gravitated instantly towards the Thoth deck the minute she saw it, even though her teacher recommended she start with an easier deck. But she was adamant that she liked the Thoth deck, and years later it still gave her the most accurate readings. Follow your gut. :)
I was thinking to get a new deck for this, but in my country it is difficult to get one. There are a lot of decks available, mostly angel cards, but the number of cards is much smaller.
Angel cards and oracle cards are not the same thing as the Tarot, which will always have 78 cards. I think of them as cheesy New Age Tarot rip-offs, I have never understood why they are so popular. Stick with your Thoth deck. [thumbup]

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Hells, I'm just going to throw this open to anyone. I think Bluefluke inspired me [grin] I'll help out in any way I can, with as many people as possible, but we should definitely start with meanings, and easy ways to remember them, and just see how we go from then. I also run a board on Facebook where I'm doing the same thing, so feel free to join there too, the link is on my website, it's all free.

I want everyone who wants to take part from the beginning to have their own decks within the next month if possible, then we'll start looking at the deck, common card meanings, the way that idea is portrayed in your deck, and any questions you might have.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

How's everyone going at getting decks? Serenaisa22, best to use the Thoth deck, Osho-Zen is more an oracle deck than a tarot deck. I'm going to start this module next week.

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

I'm still waiting on the delivery of my deck. I hope i receive it this week.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

I will be true to ya all, I think I won't participate right now. I struggle a little with Credits [tongue]
Somebody could say what it is to pay 20-30$ for a deck but right now I cant afford that. I try to outwork my deficit and focus on finding some source of better income. I will be hanging around surely coz I want to experience this topic. [thumbup]

Have good day guys and Praise Teh Sun \[T]/ [cool]

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

Hey Maya, you could buy a cheaper deck like this one:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Rider-Wai ... 0913866597

If you don't want to spend too much money then it might be a good choice.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

It is nice that you care, It really is but I really can't afford it right now. I am seriously thinking that on end of this month my cats will have food but I will end eating with them [tongue]
If anything changes I will invest, there is some chances next month will be better for me.

Dont worry about me, have fun guys and I will try to join you all as fast as I can. I will stalk in meantime. Praise teh Sun \[T]/ [cool]

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

I'm finding myself really tempted to break out my Oswald Wirth deck on this. I've wanted to get to know that deck for divining (as well as get to know the Masonic/Martinist associations) and also may incorporate Tarot of the Magicians as additional instruction.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

My deck arrived today, so I'm ready to begin classes.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

I'll post the first lesson tomorrow.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Okay guys, what decks do you have? What are their names? Why did you choose that deck - how does it make you feel?

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

I have the Deviant Moon Deck.

I chose it because of your advice (Clockwork_Ghost) you said this one, the Night Sun and the tarot Illuminati were good choices. Of these, the Deviant Moon artwork is the more appealing to me. It's a bit melancholic but it kinda has a cartoon vibe to it, and i'm a bit like that also. In spite of being kind of cartoonish, i feel that the characters have a very real and palpable dimension, they feel very three dimensional.

As I write this, I checked the thread on which you advise on these 3 decks and I didn't notice that you said that the Deviant Moon was more fit for Divination and the Night Sun for Magick Ritual work. If I did notice that, I might had choose the other way around. But either way, I like this deck, and since i'm an absolute beginner I feel that this deck will work for me as a starting point.

Return to “School of Magick Archive”