Still active? New student looking to learn.

Broken_Crow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Still active? New student looking to learn.

Post by Broken_Crow »

I am new to the craft and was hoping to find a teacher to help me develop my abilities. Not sure if anyone still posts here since everything is 5 years old. But I hope someone will read this.

borealis
System Administrator
System Administrator

Re: Still active? New student looking to learn.

Post by borealis »

Broken_Crow wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm I am new to the craft and was hoping to find a teacher to help me develop my abilities. Not sure if anyone still posts here since everything is 5 years old. But I hope someone will read this.
The most important things a beginner should practice in my opinion are meditation, visualization, and comprehension. These are like your base stats; all of your other powers depend on them. The more you improve these three skills, the easier everything gets. They can be tedious, but you won't get very far without them. Meditation and visualization are built up through exercises, and comprehension is built up by reading lots of books and practicing lots of different things, until you start to kind of get an innate understanding of what makes magic tick.

Is there any particular magical tradition that interests you, or are you not sure yet? I don't think I can be your one-on-one teacher, but if you'd like I can list out some books and practices that I found helpful. Do some work on your own, until finally,

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

I have studied Chaos Magick primarily, as well as some Thelema, and Kabbalah. Several teachers have appeared to me at the times when I was ready for them. When I learned enough from one teacher, the next appeared not long after. Think of your own daily practice and research as a spell that summons the teacher when you have put enough energy into it, and just keep at it. The teacher will show up eventually. Be careful of looking too hard for a teacher before you know very much, or you could get taken advantage of.

Shemuel Ben Sabbatai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shemuel Ben Sabbatai »

Broken_Crow wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:52 pm I am new to the craft and was hoping to find a teacher to help me develop my abilities. Not sure if anyone still posts here since everything is 5 years old. But I hope someone will read this.
If you’re into Hermeticism I would check out Franz Bardon’s books, I’m not a hermeticist but I’ve heard they’re cool.
“Is it true that Mashiach [the Messiah] will come in a generation that is either wholly good or wholly evil?”
“Yes.”
“Then which direction should we take?”
“The Evil Inclination is the Mother of the King; but Holiness will be the first to greet Him when He rises from the dust.”
-Jacob Frank

Broken_Crow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Broken_Crow »

I've been studying wicca, mainly because that was the first path i found. It also seems to be kind of up my alley since I spend allot of time in the woods alone. But I don't really know anything about the other traditions to say I'm totally devoted to one over another. Mostly I'm just trying to better my life in a way that doesn't harm anyone else, and if possible benefits others. I'm in a sense "homeless" at the moment due to this whole pandemic thing. So I can't really build an alter. So I'm not sure how to go about casting spells. I have been meditating for around 10 years because I followed Buddhism for a while. So I have a good understanding of meditation and visualization. Mostly been reading Buckland and Cunningham, they were the first I stumbled upon in my searches that seemed legitimate. From my understanding I guess I'd fall into the grey witch catagory. Just kinda want to learn all I can and use what I need to to get the outcomes I desire.

Broken_Crow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Broken_Crow »

[/quote]

If you’re into Hermeticism I would check out Franz Bardon’s books, I’m not a hermeticist but I’ve heard they’re cool.
[/quote]

I looked into Franz bardon. Seems really cool Thanks for the suggestion.

Shemuel Ben Sabbatai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shemuel Ben Sabbatai »

Broken_Crow wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:13 am I've been studying wicca, mainly because that was the first path i found. It also seems to be kind of up my alley since I spend allot of time in the woods alone. But I don't really know anything about the other traditions to say I'm totally devoted to one over another. Mostly I'm just trying to better my life in a way that doesn't harm anyone else, and if possible benefits others. I'm in a sense "homeless" at the moment due to this whole pandemic thing. So I can't really build an alter. So I'm not sure how to go about casting spells. I have been meditating for around 10 years because I followed Buddhism for a while. So I have a good understanding of meditation and visualization. Mostly been reading Buckland and Cunningham, they were the first I stumbled upon in my searches that seemed legitimate. From my understanding I guess I'd fall into the grey witch catagory. Just kinda want to learn all I can and use what I need to to get the outcomes I desire.
Wicca, eh? My sister was into Wicca, from what I’ve heard it’s kinda seems like a more accessible form of occultism, nothing wrong with that though. I would check out the book “zen mind, beginners mind” if you’re interested in Buddhism, not really occult or mystical though. Maybe check out the Tibetan book of the dead?
“Is it true that Mashiach [the Messiah] will come in a generation that is either wholly good or wholly evil?”
“Yes.”
“Then which direction should we take?”
“The Evil Inclination is the Mother of the King; but Holiness will be the first to greet Him when He rises from the dust.”
-Jacob Frank

Broken_Crow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Broken_Crow »

Yeah I've been studying Buddhism for about 10 years. So I'm not looking for info on that. I have the Tibetan book of the dead. What differentiates occultism from wicca? Im not particularly fascinated with any one tradition yet. Still in the knowledge gathering stage before I choose one or an amalgamation of a few different traditions. So any guide to practicing or books for beginners in different traditions would be greatly appreciated.

borealis
System Administrator
System Administrator

Post by borealis »

Broken_Crow wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:40 am Yeah I've been studying Buddhism for about 10 years. So I'm not looking for info on that. I have the Tibetan book of the dead. What differentiates occultism from wicca? Im not particularly fascinated with any one tradition yet. Still in the knowledge gathering stage before I choose one or an amalgamation of a few different traditions. So any guide to practicing or books for beginners in different traditions would be greatly appreciated.
Wicca is a school of magic, and also a spiritual / religious paradigm. So, the magical aspect of that falls into the category of occultism. If you're considering using an amalgamation of traditions instead of locking into just one, you may get along well with Chaos Magick. Chaos Magicians generally study multiple different schools of magic, and then create their own personal system of magic by absorbing the ideas from each that work best for them. But, there are also certain techniques that could be said to belong to Chaos Magick.

Here are a few documents and rituals that can provide a good starting point. The first two are introductory Chaos Magick documents, and the second two are useful rituals which originate from the Golden Dawn, one of the most influential magical orders of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Besides Chaos Magick, the other paradigm I am most familiar with is Thelema (which has some roots in Golden Dawn), but most Thelemic documents could hardly be called introductory.

Liber MMM
A short 14 page booklet, one of the foundational documents of Chaos Magick. Teaches basic meditation, trance, dream work, and magical techniques which you can practice daily. The magical techniques covered are sigil magick, a simple and powerful form of spellcasting that anyone can easily perform (your results may vary), and a simple Banishing Ritual. Banishing Rituals are important to clean the energy around and within you before and after any magical work in order to prevent energetic interference and negative aftereffects. You should try to learn at least one Banishing Ritual by heart.
Link: https://paranormal.se/article/Liber_MMM.pdf

The Psychonaut Field Manual
This is another introduction to Chaos Magick written in a flippant style and cartoonishly illustrated. It teaches beginner and advanced techniques, starting from the bottom and working up.
Link: https://www.deviantart.com/bluefluke/ar ... -530005584

Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (Golden Dawn Variant)
This is the Golden Dawn variant of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, one of the golden standards of banishing rituals. It will take some practice to learn, but is very powerful. Practicing it daily will improve your visualizations and energy manipulation skills. Like the Thelemic variant, it utilizes Abrahamic imagery and sacred names. If this isn't your cup of tea, you can find versions that use Pagan imagery instead, or find a different banishing ritual (there are many.)
Link: https://i.imgur.com/U1ZwcdH.png

Middle Pillar Ritual
This is another powerful daily practice ritual which improves energy manipulation and perception. Like the LBRP, it utilizes Abrahamic imagery and sacred names.
Link: https://imgur.com/a/b3YYenX

In general, you are likely to begin noticing some results from magical practices after doing them daily for about a month. Also, don't expect to see things with your waking eyes. Instead, the clarity of your mind's eye will increase as you perform your exercises. Seeing things with your regular vision is not actually necessary, but might come much later.

As you continue your daily practices, you will have periods of quick progress followed by long slumps during which it seems like you aren't progressing at all. Keep up the practices and you will eventually reach your next period of progress (followed by your next slump.)

Broken_Crow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Broken_Crow »

borealis wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:59 pm
Broken_Crow wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:40 am Yeah I've been studying Buddhism for about 10 years. So I'm not looking for info on that. I have the Tibetan book of the dead. What differentiates occultism from wicca? Im not particularly fascinated with any one tradition yet. Still in the knowledge gathering stage before I choose one or an amalgamation of a few different traditions. So any guide to practicing or books for beginners in different traditions would be greatly appreciated.
Wicca is a school of magic, and also a spiritual / religious paradigm. So, the magical aspect of that falls into the category of occultism. If you're considering using an amalgamation of traditions instead of locking into just one, you may get along well with Chaos Magick. Chaos Magicians generally study multiple different schools of magic, and then create their own personal system of magic by absorbing the ideas from each that work best for them. But, there are also certain techniques that could be said to belong to Chaos Magick.

Here are a few documents and rituals that can provide a good starting point. The first two are introductory Chaos Magick documents, and the second two are useful rituals which originate from the Golden Dawn, one of the most influential magical orders of the late 1800s and early 1900s. Besides Chaos Magick, the other paradigm I am most familiar with is Thelema (which has some roots in Golden Dawn), but most Thelemic documents could hardly be called introductory.

Liber MMM
A short 14 page booklet, one of the foundational documents of Chaos Magick. Teaches basic meditation, trance, dream work, and magical techniques which you can practice daily. The magical techniques covered are sigil magick, a simple and powerful form of spellcasting that anyone can easily perform (your results may vary), and a simple Banishing Ritual. Banishing Rituals are important to clean the energy around and within you before and after any magical work in order to prevent energetic interference and negative aftereffects. You should try to learn at least one Banishing Ritual by heart.

This is another introduction to Chaos Magick written in a flippant style and cartoonishly illustrated. It teaches beginner and advanced techniques, starting from the bottom and working up.

This is the Golden Dawn variant of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, one of the golden standards of banishing rituals. It will take some practice to learn, but is very powerful. Practicing it daily will improve your visualizations and energy manipulation skills. Like the Thelemic variant, it utilizes Abrahamic imagery and sacred names. If this isn't your cup of tea, you can find versions that use Pagan imagery instead, or find a different banishing ritual (there are many.)

Middle Pillar Ritual
This is another powerful daily practice ritual which improves energy manipulation and perception. Like the LBRP, it utilizes Abrahamic imagery and sacred names.

In general, you are likely to begin noticing some results from magical practices after doing them daily for about a month. Also, don't expect to see things with your waking eyes. Instead, the clarity of your mind's eye will increase as you perform your exercises. Seeing things with your regular vision is not actually necessary, but might come much later.

As you continue your daily practices, you will have periods of quick progress followed by long slumps during which it seems like you aren't progressing at all. Keep up the practices and you will eventually reach your next period of progress (followed by your next slump.)
This is fantastic! Thank you so much!

skekz0k
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by skekz0k »

borealis wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:59 pm

Liber MMM

Middle Pillar Ritual

The Psychonaut Field Manual seems like an excellent, accessible resource for beginners. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't seen it before.

Jastiv
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jastiv »

Broken_Crow wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:13 am I've been studying wicca, mainly because that was the first path i found. It also seems to be kind of up my alley since I spend allot of time in the woods alone. But I don't really know anything about the other traditions to say I'm totally devoted to one over another. Mostly I'm just trying to better my life in a way that doesn't harm anyone else, and if possible benefits others. I'm in a sense "homeless" at the moment due to this whole pandemic thing. So I can't really build an alter. So I'm not sure how to go about casting spells.
I used to worry all about that, OMG, I have to build a fancy alter or buy or make fancy tools, but then it just felt like LARPing for entities that don't exist. So I was like F that and show me that you are real before I waste any more money on stuff for imaginary friends. An alter doesn't have to be real fancy, sure, lots of people love you craft and/or buy tools and stuff for their alter, and I think for someone more advanced who has experience with a path and the entities and knows it is for them, I think its fine, but as a beginner, I think you could just end up with a lot of junk and clutter that doesn't really do anything for you. Of course, I may be a bit biased because I am an artist myself and I can make decent tools out of paper and pencil, but if you can write legibly, you can probably make something that works even if it isn't the best.

Here are basic elemental correspondences
Cup = You probably have one in your kitchen cupboard, sure it sucks and doesn't' look cool, but who cares.
Disk or Pentacle = Use a plate, a paper one if you have to.
Sword = a kitchen knife works.
Wand = hopefully there are some trees around where you live. Go outside and grab a stick from the ground.

Return to “School of Magick Archive”