Word Magick

Irish_Bard
Forum Member
Forum Member

Word Magick

Post by Irish_Bard »

Hi

As someone highly inclined towards creative writing and poetry, is there such a thing as raising power solely through words without implements or tools? Is the act of writing and reading inwardly enough or do incantations have to be chanted aloud.

Are there general guidelines or certain formats for writing that must be observed? Are there certain words of power or key phrases that must be integrated into a writing to make it effective?

Most books I have come across present ready made incantations and spells with a rigid format - I am looking to try something more individual.

Thanks so much for reading!

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Word Magick

Post by Amor »

If I am writing something that is supposed to reflect Reality, the words get quite fussy. They often are unhappy until I change a word that offends them.

That fussiness helps me uncover aspects of Reality that I had not thought carefully about.

I found the same with numbers when I used to build economic models. Numbers are easily offended.

Irish_Bard
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Irish_Bard »

Amor wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:50 am If I am writing something that is supposed to reflect Reality, the words get quite fussy. They often are unhappy until I change a word that offends them.

That fussiness helps me uncover aspects of Reality that I had not thought carefully about.

I found the same with numbers when I used to build economic models. Numbers are easily offended.
I love the fact that you speak of words as living entities - it's something I believe in my heart of hearts but wouldn't even speak of online.. (well not on the cesspool that is Facebook) - what a lovely forum this is with great people like you're good self.

In fact meditating on words as living entities and watching how they interact sounds like an invaluable exercise and something I'm looking forward to trying.

THANK YOU

OneOfFourth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by OneOfFourth »

I'm personally starting to believe that every single thought that anyone has ever had, has somehow altered our reality. If not anything else, at least in a slight way the thinkers own consciousness. Quite often other things in the world also.

This brings to my mind the question: what then is the difference between thought, spirits/demons, and magick? My current view on this is that "not much". If thoughts and emotions affect our reality, that's what essentially magick is, then spirits are simply thoughts and emotions without physical body, i.e. magickal beings. Since we also have thoughts/emotions/creativity, we're equally magickal beings. This brings me to a conclusion which someone else has also said, but through very different thought process: there is no disctinction between the spirits world and our physical world. They are essentially the same thing. You can probably look our world through different kinds of filters/glasses which show you more of the astral side, etc. but they're probably the exact same thing.

So basically when you put creativity, emotion and thinking into a piece of art, that's probably magick you're doing. It's a whole different discussion where the intention of that magick/spell is directed to.

I could be wrong and everyone is free to correct me.
Seeker of truth.
God is the thought of/about something.

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

> spirits are simply thoughts and emotions without physical body

There are more planes of existence than physical, emotional and mental

Irish_Bard
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Irish_Bard »

OneOfFourth wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:52 pm I'm personally starting to believe that every single thought that anyone has ever had, has somehow altered our reality. If not anything else, at least in a slight way the thinkers own consciousness. Quite often other things in the world also.

This brings to my mind the question: what then is the difference between thought, spirits/demons, and magick? My current view on this is that "not much". If thoughts and emotions affect our reality, that's what essentially magick is, then spirits are simply thoughts and emotions without physical body, i.e. magickal beings. Since we also have thoughts/emotions/creativity, we're equally magickal beings. This brings me to a conclusion which someone else has also said, but through very different thought process: there is no disctinction between the spirits world and our physical world. They are essentially the same thing. You can probably look our world through different kinds of filters/glasses which show you more of the astral side, etc. but they're probably the exact same thing.

So basically when you put creativity, emotion and thinking into a piece of art, that's probably magick you're doing. It's a whole different discussion where the intention of that magick/spell is directed to.

I could be wrong and everyone is free to correct me.
THIS! And to add a little I think that the relationship with Deities, words of power, symbols and alchemical formulas is symbiotic and mutually beneficial in that the symbol focuses the intentions and energies of the users who then display it, share it and expand its power and influence in the universal consciousness which charges it even more for the next set of users, who feed power back into it and continue its line....

BUT while I think those ancient symbols can be used as batteries to a certain extent (for want of a better word), they aren't YOUR symbols (even if they are highly present in your culture). That's why I think its important to tailor and interpret these symbols in your own unique and artistic way (whatever that may be). Just pull your own ideas out of the air and you miss the resource and opportunities of those existing Astral paths, blindly follow them and I don't think you invest enough of your own emotion and imagination to action the physical.

Jung, Einstein, Michelangelo, William Blake, history is full of figures who thought along these lines even if they didn't use the word Magick...

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

There is a difference between symbol and emblem. An emblem is an arbitrary association.

A symbol is structured to resonate with particular energies - like a TV antenna. Thus a symbol constructed properly and with intent can be a portal.

For what it is worth, I have never seen any life dedicated to magick that was not ultimately tragic.

I do however know of a couple of practitioners of magic that did well humanly - and still do well on the inner planes.

Irish_Bard
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Irish_Bard »

So going by your model Amor - a true symbol is an emblem/set of emblems employed in an unique and decisive way?

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

An emblem is arbitrary - like a country choosing a national flower.

A symbol is a structure that resonates to particular energies. A symbol therefore allows access to those energies and the underlying intelligences.

mermanbiga92
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by mermanbiga92 »

So when you say word magick, you mean any type of word magicks? for example like writing a letter of intents to your god/goddess?

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

I'll go through a few things here, because this is an interesting topic and I'm a bit sad I missed it due to not being around.

The writing of specific words can very much be used in magic, it would follow the same basic (not exact) principles of Glyphs or Sigils , just using words themselves.

Glyphs and Sigils are representative or instructional concepts in written form that hold meaning. (Though I theorize that Glyphs more represent how the magical energies twist and shape themselves when charged). The Meaning and Intent of the words used are more important, as well as the concept of the word or words used for you.

When using rituals, typically the words are either instructions to the entities or spirits that are assisting the casting, so the language or preciseness of what is said is important. Other times the chant used is to keep the caster in the proper state of mind or to guide their state of mind along with directing the energies needed.

For a lot of things, the words used for your own spells can be what you want them to be so long as they are significant for you *or* those involved (i.e. spirits, entities).

I do suggest though that you use words that you don't often use for everyday language as it'll keep you in the proper state of mind, give it a special gravitas, and often a more clear precision for intent . This is especially effective for when you use single words. "Relinquish", for instance, has a lot more command and gravitas than "let go", and is something that you wouldn't ordinarily say.
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

WildWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WildWolf »

Runes are a pretty popular form of magick.....and the basic principle is that each rune is a special key sound that "evokes" or stimulates certain energies/principals of nature. Certain principles have specific qualities that you may wish to work with for sorcery.

When it comes to writing....you can see it a similar way....your inscribing your own mental qi into form via language. So, its just a matter of what you plan to "carve" out with your Mind and the qi signature your leaving behind. What that means for practical sorcery? Spells, evocations, prayers...etc.....its an interesting topic, cheers.

Return to “Ancient Magick and Mythologies”