Post by Napoli »

In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Yggdrasil Tree of World

Post by cyberdemon »

reminds me how much contemporary cultures have incorporated this (subtly)

from the northern lands of skyrim, if you pass planes of oblivion you end up in sovengard, the place of martyred brave warriors..
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

It remind me of the Qabbalistic Tree of Life. You can see a few parallels, Muspellheim- the sphere of Michael, Midgard- Malkuth, Asgard- Kether, Wotans Volk- Tzimtzum. In the lower realm of the tree (that is the root) you have Joutenheim, the Realm of the Giants. If I remember correctly, there is a qlippothic sphere where a sorcerer encounters giant beings. In the Bible they are called the Rephaim. And did you see the serpent or dragon? It reminds me of the Gnostic Ouroboros. In the Draconian tradition Leviathan is the Dragon of the Void, the Primal Serpent coiled around the Universe, holding it in the timeless embrace. The void itself is the womb of the Dragon, vomitting worlds and devouring them in endless cycle of death and re-birth. It is supposed to be the primordial force existing outside the structures of creation, unnamed and undefined, for it has no form and all forms at the same time, its shape and name differs depending on a magical tradition and initiatory system. The Dragon exists outside the Cosmic Tree, which is the Pillar of Spiritual Ascent. Look at the following picture which represents the Tree of Life in a pretty similar way-

The serpent rising around the tree can be called the kundalini. Of course, these are all my presumptions and I claim to be no expert.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

spiral serpents remind me of asclepius' pet snake things. the two that wrap around his staff. pretty much how DNA looks like. the guy had knowledge of DNA shapes a billion years before crick and watson did, go figure..

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

There are no historical evidence for the nine worlds. It's much likely an older literary construction. And the first time it appears it just says " I know of nine worlds" but it never mentions all 9 by name.
The exact geography of Yggdrasil and the world is also unknown. It changes depending on what section you read.

You have to remember that the Scandinavian religions wasn't written down until 200 years after christendom, and on iceland. And then described as a pantheon and complete system.
That would be like a muslim writing about the history of america.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

cyberdemon wrote:spiral serpents remind me of asclepius' pet snake things. the two that wrap around his staff. pretty much how DNA looks like. the guy had knowledge of DNA shapes a billion years before crick and watson did, go figure..
The Caduceus. Hermes, Thoth and Raphael are supposed to carry them, right? Yes, I agree it is pretty awesome [happy2] .
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Desecrated wrote:There are no historical evidence for the nine worlds. It's much likely an older literary construction. And the first time it appears it just says " I know of nine worlds" but it never mentions all 9 by name.
The exact geography of Yggdrasil and the world is also unknown. It changes depending on what section you read.

You have to remember that the Scandinavian religions wasn't written down until 200 years after christendom, and on iceland. And then described as a pantheon and complete system.
That would be like a muslim writing about the history of america.
Yes, it is highly possible. But most religion today are guilty of plagiarism up to some extent. Whatever, the case might be I love to draw parallels between different spiritual traditions which I find beautiful. Besides, the concept of Tree of Life is present in many traditions from around the world, both ancient or recent.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Yes the story about trees and snakes comes all the way from the Arabic countries, goes up the Slavic regions into the many different Russian countries, to the Scandinavian and Germanic tribes, down to the British isles, into Portugal, Spain and back into north Africa and Arabic regions. And can be found in other regions as well. It seems to be something that resonates with the human brain.

If you're interested in these sort of things I really recommend the Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth tv-series. (you can find it online)
It's interesting to hear him tell an iroquois indian legend that i remember from my childhood in sweden. It really shows that human brains are alike everywhere on earth. There is no difference in imagination between Australians and Eskimos.

The danger with this, is that some people start to think that just because it is similar, it is the same.. (hence the UFO believers who ties in Egyptian pyramids with Thor's chariot and Japanese creation lengends).
If you start looking at the Yggdrasil myth as just another kundalini reference you run the risk of misunderstanding both.

Also this:

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

does that chart include pirated movies

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

cyberdemon wrote:does that chart include pirated movies
Well it's snowing here right now so global warming must have turned around since we started pirated movies.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Sigh. I dislike that image so much. It's a forced comparison to the similar image of the Hermetic Kabbalah, which itself is a forced image drawn up by Rosicrusians and Theosophists who learned a little bit of Jewish Kabbalah, fancied themselves experts, and went on to create a completely different system that has remained the popular one for centuries. This image doesn't even come close to displaying the true complexities and mysteries of Yggdrasil.

Each of those realms are places you can visit in the Otherworld, though. The paths to and between them are complex and many, and there is much to be learned from the beings who reside in those places. An excellent book on what it's like to actually Journey to these places is Up and Down The Tree by Runic John, for those who can't Journey themselves yet.

~:Shin:~

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

I am glad that's cleared up.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Return to “Ancient Magick and Mythologies”