I feel so angry about the story of Medusa

Blackina
Forum Member
Forum Member

I feel so angry about the story of Medusa

Post by Blackina »

The story of Medusa is something that makes me sad/angry because Medusa did not deserve to be turned into a Gorgon for being a Rape Victim. [mad] Anthena also punished other women in the myths, like some lady who was a weaver but turned her into a Spider for all enternity to weave cobwebs. [mad]

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: I feel so angry about the story of Medusa

Post by fraterai »

You are right. There are countless mythological stories that paints the strong, (sexually) independent, warrior woman (for example) in a negative light. It gives you some great insight into the thought patterns of mankind during those times. Medusa is a great character and there is no reason why you can't have your own interpretation and opinions on a myth
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Blackina
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Blackina »

I agree with what you have said Fraterai, but what made me angry was that Anthena was not sympathic to her AFTER she was a rape victim. All Athena was angry about was that she got raped in her own temple, and this was the reason for this vile punishment. In the myth before she became a Monster, Medusa was said to be a great beauty. Maybe this is a story of Female Jealousy as well.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

fraterai wrote:It gives you some great insight into the thought patterns of mankind during those times.
Yeah, because there is no shaming women who get raped in these modern times....
The main reason to why we should study the classic writings is because they tell us so much about today's society.
Blackina wrote:but what made me angry was that Anthena was not sympathic to her AFTER she was a rape victim. All Athena was angry about was that she got raped in her own temple, and this was the reason for this vile punishment.
Well that is one version of the myth. This story is retold in Ovid's Metamorphoses and isn't exactly a religious text. Ovid was a Roman and wrote his poetic version of the myths about 500 years later. So don't blame Athena.

Medusa is mention in both Pindar and Aeschylus. The gorgons are even describe as a race of monsters, and medusa has at least 2 more sisters with the same snake hair, fangs and hatred for mortal men.

Daud
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Daud »

Important lesson learned here: Gods are narcissistic dicks and see humans like ants, the fact that they are superior to us in power doesn't mean that they are superior to us in morals.
"Things derive their being from mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves." -Nagarjuna

"Comprehending beyond good and evil opens the way to perfect skill" Jetsun Milarepa

"Always recognise the dreamlike qualities of life to reduce attachment and aversion." - Jetsun Milarepa

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Daud wrote:Important lesson learned here: Gods are narcissistic dicks and see humans like ants, the fact that they are superior to us in power doesn't mean that they are superior to us in morals.
Important lesson here: Read the entire threat. before posting.
If you're going to start a thread about a subject, make sure you check your sources first.
Don't blame the gods.

Lumpino
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Lumpino »

I would say that killing of Medusa is a myth. I tried meditation about and she looked like alive.
Gorgons are deities lunar sphere. And I think that Medusa introduces a new Moon.
But there is a different things. Gods according old eastern mythologies are a part of evolution, so they could have similar mistakes as humans. So, you in some next life (according those mythologies) can be a god(goddess) too. See buddhists, taoists, hindu and simalar texts. Ancient mysteries (Egyptian, Greek... and others) had similar opinion. And for example African animist tribes too.

Return to “Ancient Magick and Mythologies”