I.O.B.

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

I.O.B.

Post by LoneWolf »

Any experiences/recommendations/advise/things that work for you, on the IOB ?

I will perform it for the first time soon and would like to hear your take on it.

Regards

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: I.O.B.

Post by LoneWolf »

In case anybody knows it by another name or did the same using another paradigm or tradition:
This is what I am refering to >IOB<

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

I used this alot about 7-8 years ago when I was really into GD stuff. I also have used the bulk of it (just the IOB and the projecting a pentagram part) in roughly the same way at other times when needed. It is simple and very effective for obsessive thoughts and feelings
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Bozkurt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bozkurt »

I shared this method with a magician who is actually a psychologist. And his opinion was that this ritual is a complete nonsense. I rely and believe in his knowledge and I haven't even tried the ritual. If you want to change something in your personality or get rid of a bad habit you can try practicing with sigils. I'm sure sigils will help you.
Best regards! :)
The words are our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.

sikander
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by sikander »

I've come across this ritual from your post. I highly recommend it, even though I haven't yet practiced it.

The reason why I like it already is that I've been performing a simpler version of it from time to time, since the beginning of my practice. When I do the LBRP I project the visualization of the problem through the petagrams using the Sign of the Enterer. I visualize the imagined problem trapped behind the flaming pentagram and i give it the Sign of Silence, visualising its image beginning to disappear until it's gone for good. It has worked many times for me and I'm sure the more elaborate IOB would work even better.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Bozkurt wrote:I shared this method with a magician who is actually a psychologist. And his opinion was that this ritual is a complete nonsense.
It never ceases to amaze me how often psychologists have a lacking understanding of psychology.

Bozkurt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bozkurt »

Desecrated wrote:
Bozkurt wrote:I shared this method with a magician who is actually a psychologist. And his opinion was that this ritual is a complete nonsense.
It never ceases to amaze me how often psychologists have a lacking understanding of psychology.
Actually at first I personally thought this ritual would work great... but...
The words are our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it.

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

But then some guy who never tried it said otherwise..... Can you give a single reason as to why this whole ritual is "nonsense"?

Bozkurt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bozkurt »

fraterai wrote:But then some guy who never tried it said otherwise..... Can you give a single reason as to why this whole ritual is "nonsense"?
I really can't . It seems my teacher psychologist can.

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

So, you've never tried it, s/he has never tried it, and yet, we are to take your word that it is nonsense without any reason why? Kind of silly if you ask me. Its a pretty straightforward application of visualization, energy work, and an alternate use for the LBRP. OH and it works if the mage can align belief, desire, and will. I can't think of a single reason not to try it.

Bozkurt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bozkurt »

Fraterai, I was going to try it but that psychologist's opinion stopped me. I'm only telling you what told me a magician who is more experienced than me. I think I'll try it :)

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

You should always consider an opinion you respect but remember that experience trumps everything :) this ritual is as effective as you want it to be

Bozkurt
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bozkurt »

fraterai wrote:You should always consider an opinion you respect but remember that experience trumps everything :)
Wise, I'll have it in my mind. :)

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Well. Let's look at it from a psychological perspective then.

It's good because you get to face your inner demons by projecting them outside yourself.
It's bad because you might forget that it's actually a part of you and not a real thing.

It's a good because it sends a clear message to yourself about what you want to change about yourself.
It's bad because it's not a positive reinforcement of a behavior that you want to replace it with, but only a negative reinforcement of something that you are already struggling with.

It's good because you allow yourself to end the behavior. By banishing it, you are making an oath to yourself to keep it gone. And it can be really hard to start working on new and positive qualities when you are still wasting energy with old qualities.

You can not become a clean person, if you don't stop taking drugs. And at some point you have to concentrate really hard to NOT be a drug addict. or at least NOT take drugs. You have to banish drugs from your life.
But it is also important to know that at some point; you're going to have to switch from being an ex-junkie, to being a clean person, who lives a clean life.

So this ritual is by no means an end to it all, but a first step towards what ever lies after the end.

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LoneWolf »

Exactly what has been said.

If as a psychologist you are unable to see how good it may be to visualize the banishing of parts of yourself you don't wish to keep being, you shouldn't try to help anybody.

If you are unable to see the benefits as a magician, well, you should stick to other stuff.

Also, this one I speak to you personally, if you take advise as dogma without judging by yourself you will struggle greatly I believe.

My regards

Return to “Modern Era Magicks”