Tell me brother are you free?

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Tell me brother are you free?

Post by neofight »

I see this blurb to promote Thelema a lot and for awhile I thought "hmmm how true to follow my TRUE WILL and be that which I am! I sought this will for a long while, and then I came back to the Book of the Law and read what it says about the will.

The Will in Thelema is impulse. Its about instinct and "doing" and not thinking. This isn't free will, its being subjected to whatever it is that conspired to create you into the person you are at that moment, and for anyone that does not reflect and use reason, this is a matter of choices made by someone else. Knowing thyself is not doing this kind of will. This kind of will is reactionary, and is flawed... because who is the "perfect" person? He doesn't care about perfection, though, and believes that you are what you become- and if you become a demon because of your environment then you were meant to be one- and they deserve you to be one to them. This is not freedom, it is not rebellion, it is not taking ones fate into ones hands- it is dharma and destiny, and it is the caste system of the Hindus (in a spiritual sense) and it is a failure.

If you want to be free, if you want to truly navigate your own fate- you need to reflect and to pause, and to become a "dog of reason".

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Tell me brother are you free?

Post by neofight »

What I just described is the Magister Grade, the Magus Grade realizes that God is a poet. He no longer is bound by the sculptor God that forms, rather; He is allowed to define himself. This is what it means to be free in Thelema.

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by neofight »

The path of initiation is free to all. The first order is freely given, the second order is preparation for the third, in which you earn your freedom.

Analytic13
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Analytic13 »

Freewill is a chain of Freedom..

Chains of Mephistopheles..

-an urban agenda..

The attic(siatica so to speak)

Because we imagine a cap ceiling.. because what would be more? That beyond the highest high is nothing?

Everyone is given something in themselves to achieve this perfect perfection of free will.. Hell, its what all rites are based on..

We hope the left hand side is not so slanted that you cannot live forever(existential angst/anxiety)

Hangmans noose! 12/6 nature of reality..

3/3 divided by Phoenix fire.. which is penchant up to the roost!

Shakespeare behind the scenes..

The wizard of Oz.. all things are distinguished this way?

Well what way? Well the only way we know, which is freewill!

Freedom is definitely an alliance.. and is definitely a party.. political witz, and a high IQ in UO..

A Sprocket..

Each left hand is a taker
And each right hand a giver..

And so we see the middle path is free? But free within the engine itself..which is like a Rocket Man!

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by neofight »

An angel says "I know what this is"

A Saint says "Oh my God what is this?"

A pagan says "THIS IS AWESOME!"

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

May i submit that while the idea of "doing, not thinking" and the idea of avoiding being a reactionary simpleton, may SEEM contradictory, there are multiple levels of consciousness...

I think the "doing, not thinking" speaks more to something along the lines of 'mushin' no mind, a sort of instinctive level of thought where a martial artist reacts instantly, even prophetically. Also, it seems to dance somewhat near to some key epiphanies in understanding the nature of consciousness. So I wouldn't discount the value there.

It's kinda like when you meditate, you empty the mind, but when you do magick, you bring will into focus within that void. It is then no longer truly a void, but that does not discredit the value of knowing how to approach the void mind.

Except in this case, one is approaching the impulse, which lays often deeply under the more obvious layers of consciousness. Fostering one's connection to this is instructive, and useful, even if it's not a whole truth unto itself (as per your excellent observation about reaction vs. true will).

I would argue that it's useful at worst, possibly even necessary, to approach all such building blocks of consciousness, and become intimately familiar, in order to really springboard to less finite consciousness. Much like in tantra, the defeat of desire is in embracing it, rather than inadvertently idolizing it by calling it taboo.

But also be aware that even a detailed chain of reason is a cascade of ideas which flows in a manner which causality favors... we tumble under inertia down a causality path in a probability field... and without a frame of reference beyond our reality, it is difficult to truly alter course. Much like how ships need stars, land, etc. to navigate, since the water they are upon is moving and so cannot be leveraged into a particularly accurate sense of direction.

A reaction to your impulse to react, is still a reaction ;) Stepping outside reaction entire, is a tricky, but hugely empowering thing.

I am no expert on thelema though. I am extrapolating from what I know, which I would say is a path that is reasonably congruent with thelema philosophically speaking. I dunno if this rambling was helpful though, I'm not feeling like I'm putting my thoughts to words very well here.

Analytic13
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Analytic13 »

I think therefore i am

I can relate to freedom memtats

Memories follow the theory of a miracle or mirror.. which reflects a particular cosm in the mind..

A biocosm with incidental effects..

Magic is truly a nuabce in freedom..

But most of the time we are dumb ratger than free..

Freedom hence is of its own design.. which will relate to malkuth et proper.. the brown and black of dirt

Gravel for yesod which is attempting to transmute the stone.. the philosophers stone is worked in the area of tiferet.. and is represented abstractly in the upper circles of the etz chayim.. tree of life or otherwise the nodes of Kabbalah!

Even in blackness can we find the abyss.. of which is one level above the true obscene dirt of malkuth..

Malkuth being a retroactive design in theory and metaphor of the upper worlds(aeons) of whichnthere are 33.. which is the same note of the high in 33rd degreed Freemasonry.. or philosophers stone masonry.. which attempts to relate the stone to each of the sephiroth.. of the mediums of Kabbalah. Qabbalah is colloquially found in the logos.. which is the free life host of the firmhost it self.. or otherwise the biological host of growth and potential.. and on the malkuth real has ties to the decay of one life which feeds another..

But so do all objects decay in the real of tiferet(impermanence) and below..

If statements are valid and perfevtly void..

You will findcan astrological relation with any growth et all.. any movement of the biocosm.. Blossoming fruit needs dirt to grow and ripen.. needs inner light of assiyah.. that goes all the way down to Atzilut.. which is the nearness or otherwise sensations of tge human body and mind.. the brain is an ordering mevhanism! Of which through all enfolded order is made(Malkuth).. The tree of life is penchant in writing.. the yesodic stone..

Return to “Modern Era Magicks”