Palo Mayombe

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Palo Mayombe

Post by C505 »

Can someone here help me with Palo and some if the rituals ? I have the book by Carlos Montenegro but would like further help

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Palo Mayombe

Post by chowderpope »

You may want to PM or try to email WillowDarkWytch. They are really into that kind of thing, but I haven't seen them around this year.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

chowderpope wrote:You may want to PM or try to email WillowDarkWytch. They are really into that kind of thing, but I haven't seen them around this year.

He seems to be busy latley

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

She is the resident expert on ATR and ADR and would be happy to answer a private message when she can, give it a shot if you have questions. I am just guessing but i'm certain she will suggest you seek out actual practitioners that you can learn from. ATR/ADR is very hands on, initiation-emphasized, and experiential. Not saying that you wont get anywhere without this but these traditions have a strong air of communal workings/worship and verbally transmitted methods
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumbá Àse
fraterai wrote: ATR/ADR is very hands on, initiation-emphasized, and experiential. Not saying that you wont get anywhere without this but these traditions have a strong air of communal workings/worship and verbally transmitted methods
unless that is just to learn and get knowledge, I'm very oposed to the "magic" ADR books, books that give "rituals" or how to be a "solitary practitionaire", because in ADR/ATR that DOESN'T EXIST. That is at least from a religious and "safe" practice.

This is not like in Ceremonial and Ritual magics that you leartn divine names and words of power to conjure up demons and "control" them and bend them to our will. In africanism, THERE'S NO NAMES OF POWER or generic tools to contain energies. These are spiritual beings, from a high or low level vibration, that only respond to certain symbols, powers and consecrations, they answer to PACTS, to lineage, to BLOOD, to "trival markings" that the initiate posseses (yes, we're ritually marked). You cannot reach it without initiation.

What you CAN do, like in any spiritual path, is a devotional practice, the create a sort of close relationship to a DEITY, to a nature spirit. BUT, in Palo, you have Mpungo that are deity, though are the Nfumbe (Mvumbe) whom work the magics and they ONLY respond (and to certain point, 'cause they might "reveal" themselves) to initiates (because they're bound to them, by blood). It's a very, very strong work, very "hot", that I don't recomend to anyone, unless they walk (really walk) with the dead and is "destined" to "rayar"

As for Montenegro, I haven't read his books but I smell something funky about it, he speaks about things that are way to different, Quimbanda, Palo, Vodou... So, it's difficult that one may write several books about these different traditions without being fully initiated in them. So, either he writes from a very, very superficial point of view, OR all he writes is bull... When I get his books in my hands I'll give you guys my deep and true opinion about it! :P

I insist, one thing is to give offering to Yemoja and be favoured by her. Palo doesn't work like that

C505 what is it that you're trying to achieve in Palo? or is it that you just like it?

Saravá
Danssi
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

WillowDarkWytch wrote:Motumbá Àse
fraterai wrote: ATR/ADR is very hands on, initiation-emphasized, and experiential. Not saying that you wont get anywhere without this but these traditions have a strong air of communal workings/worship and verbally transmitted methods
unless that is just to learn and get knowledge, I'm very oposed to the "magic" ADR books, books that give "rituals" or how to be a "solitary practitionaire", because in ADR/ATR that DOESN'T EXIST. That is at least from a religious and "safe" practice.

This is not like in Ceremonial and Ritual magics that you leartn divine names and words of power to conjure up demons and "control" them and bend them to our will. In africanism, THERE'S NO NAMES OF POWER or generic tools to contain energies. These are spiritual beings, from a high or low level vibration, that only respond to certain symbols, powers and consecrations, they answer to PACTS, to lineage, to BLOOD, to "trival markings" that the initiate posseses (yes, we're ritually marked). You cannot reach it without initiation.

What you CAN do, like in any spiritual path, is a devotional practice, the create a sort of close relationship to a DEITY, to a nature spirit. BUT, in Palo, you have Mpungo that are deity, though are the Nfumbe (Mvumbe) whom work the magics and they ONLY respond (and to certain point, 'cause they might "reveal" themselves) to initiates (because they're bound to them, by blood). It's a very, very strong work, very "hot", that I don't recomend to anyone, unless they walk (really walk) with the dead and is "destined" to "rayar"

As for Montenegro, I haven't read his books but I smell something funky about it, he speaks about things that are way to different, Quimbanda, Palo, Vodou... So, it's difficult that one may write several books about these different traditions without being fully initiated in them. So, either he writes from a very, very superficial point of view, OR all he writes is bull... When I get his books in my hands I'll give you guys my deep and true opinion about it! :P

I insist, one thing is to give offering to Yemoja and be favoured by her. Palo doesn't work like that

C505 what is it that you're trying to achieve in Palo? or is it that you just like it?

Saravá
Danssi

Montenegro is initiated in Santeria and Palo I believe however the books I have follow different writing tones and have different ways of the authors name. Santeria Formulary and Spellbook is written by Carlos Montenegro while the other book Palo Mayombe: Spirits- Rituals- Spells - Palo Mayombe - Palo Monte- Kimbisa is written by Carlos Antonio-Galdiano- Montenegro and follows a different format. I don't know if the long name was put in like that to show difference between two authors with the same name.

The Palo book gives instructions for those who are not initiated to practice just omitting animal sacrifice and not making specific spirit Nganagas.

I will pm you what i am trying to do I don't want to say it for everyone to read

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Bença

I've answered you pm.

As I said, there's no Solitary Palo or Solitary ADR/ATR. One thing is to try to contact spirits and get results, but that is NOT Palo, that's a witch contacting spirits, that's all.

I haven't read his books, maybe he has some good treats, BUT, usually those things don't even come close to the actual african work. Usually. They tend to be a "paganized" magic work withy Orisa/Nkisi/Gods etc, that "formulae" of spellwork, which can be very effective, but it's in no way african traditional working

Saravá
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

Return to “African Traditional/ Diaspora magicks”