Papa Legba question

vodoun_adept
Forum Member
Forum Member

Papa Legba question

Post by vodoun_adept »

Hi. I've started to serve Papa Legba but one my known-for-vodou-woman recommended me not to give fruits and etc to Legba while my mediumism didn't leveled up to communicate well with spirits. She recommended me to give to Legba glass of water and to make ancestors altar (will do it). But I have some more questions:
1. I have to refresh water oftenly. So does it mean that while refreshing water I need to sing chant and light up candle or thats not neccessary and I may refresh water without ceremony?
2. Should it be boiled water?
3. May I server Papa Legba not just at mondays? Which days I mustnt (sunday)?

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Papa Legba question

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumbá Àse
vodoun_adept wrote:Hi. I've started to serve Papa Legba but one my known-for-vodou-woman recommended me not to give fruits and etc to Legba while my mediumism didn't leveled up to communicate well with spirits. She recommended me to give to Legba glass of water and to make ancestors altar (will do it). But I have some more questions:
1. I have to refresh water oftenly. So does it mean that while refreshing water I need to sing chant and light up candle or thats not neccessary and I may refresh water without ceremony?
2. Should it be boiled water?
3. May I server Papa Legba not just at mondays? Which days I mustnt (sunday)?
To begin with, if that woman is an actual mambo or hounsi (vodunsi, initiated to vodun) listen to her. Then we go through the points.

1. Yes, minimum once a week. Follow the vodou-woman instructions. If she hasn't give you any chants, don't chant. Just talk to them and pray. Refreshing water IS the ceremony.
2. Fresh water, not boiled.
3. His day, as His yoruban and lukumi counterpart, is monday. You serve Him on monday. You need something, you may talk to Him anytime, but is better on monday while doing His service. I don't know which day is forbidden in Haitian Vodou. In Santeria, Sunday is for Olofi, so no other Orisa is worshiped. In Candomblé, fridays are for Oosaala (Obatala) so, nothing is done that day, except one white candle and pray to God (Olodumare).

Papa Legba is an Eldery Man, Eleggua is a Child, Èsú is a Trickster, Mpambu Njila is The Path itself, though they all are "similar", they share abillities and powers, they are different deities and they might be serviced similar too, but not the same. So, try listenin to the vodouy woman. Make sure that she's a Mambo. If not, try to contact a real Mambo or Houngan. THEY can teach you, not just inet dabblers.

Saravá!
Idansi
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Papa Legba question

Post by C505 »

I just ordered a pamphlet about this from the Vodou store out of Chicago ( it hasn't arrived yet) and is written by a Mambo for people to work with him. If interested PM me and I will send you the link

Return to “African Traditional and Diaspora Religions”