B.O.T.A. vs. Fraternity of the Hidden Light

fraTAS
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: B.O.T.A. vs. Fraternity of the Hidden Light

Post by fraTAS »

Care Fra Bawmaw,

What I couldn't accept in the core teachings of the GD was the use of Enochian Magic. Why? Because is extremely controversial as a system of magic. Dee's manuscript notes taken during his research into what he called Enochian Angels with Kelly were burned almost in its totality after Dee's death by the new householders. What was left was collected by someone who place the remaining notes under the guard of the British Library.

We be need to mention that Dee and Kelly decided do not do anything with the extensive fruit of their Scrying sessions (5 years and more than 400 notebooks). Why? Too heavy to deal with? Not what Dee expected?

The fact is that what Matthers took from the Library was scattered peaces of a large corpus of information, about which he knows nothing about it! And he decided to incorporate such rituals and invocations into the Golden Dawn ritual structure. Why he did it? To open new frontiers for his students, future Adepts?

May not. I think that what pressed Matthers to do such irresponsible thing was the pressure from his students that already completed the 5 years of the Elemental Grades and were waiting for the new study materials that would be part do the Second Order to make them Adepts.

At this point in time nobody figured out the entire Enochian system of magic. Too much pieces of the system were lost. Nobody knows for sure what the purpose of that system or its real origins. Some believe that Dee was entrusted with the Keys to unleash the apocalypse. Who knows? What magic practitioners do today is total experimentation. They are in their own resources to handle the effects of their practices. What is not bad if handled by experienced magicians. Anyway, it cannot be considered part of the Perenial Philosophy or from the Ancient Rosicrucian Wisdom... As such it cannot be place as the core teaching for a magical school that supposed to have direct guidance from the Elder Rosicrucians or Secret Chefs as Matthers preferred to call them.

In LVX

fraTAS
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraTAS »

Fra Bawmaw,

I agree that you can only truly know a mystery school is buy walking their path. However, if oneself submit to their initiation there is no return. Then if the path is bad oneself is cursed for the rest of his life and may through future reincarnations as well. So I believe the student must be informed to whom he is giving his allegiance and trust before hand giving him the chance to choose wisely.

I my case, I have received initiations from many traditions and lineages, fortunately all god for my personal evolution and each one had a significant contribution to guide me through the Path of Light. When otherwise, I always came across with some tips or clues that let me uncover the truth about certain paths. That's was the case with SOL. I found a book written by one of their founders and actual director of studies telling us exactly what their initiations were about - the astral aspect of then and what really happen to the student at the moment of the initiation and the consequences afterwards. The book was entitled "The Door Unlocked".

If you are open to that, read it and tell me what you think. A cheaper Kindle version is available.

In LVX

fraTAS
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraTAS »

Fra Bawmaw,

What I found at the core of the GD teachings that I cannot accept is the Enochian Magic, as I have explained on an earlier post. Please refer to above posts.

Fra T.A.S.
In LVX

fraTAS
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraTAS »

Care Fraters/Sorores

At the beginning of the current year (2013), I have submitted my application to FLO for membership. After several months my membership was approved and I was assigned to an Australian tutor, Fra S.I.A. I was welcome by him and I started to pay my lessons. When I received the second lesson I decided to enquire my tutor about the overall system followed by FLO and if they included Enochian Magic into their teaching. As a replay for my enquires my tutor send me a brief message telling that I my studies will be discontinued and my membership ceased from that day on. He also said that FLO membership "is not for every one". And that's it! If you join an Order there will be methods and techniques used to help you along your path, but ultimately it is YOUR path. (Quoting Frater_NT)

I pledge to Fra S.I.A. for a second chance asking him if he coul at least explain to me the reason of such rush decision. The didn't care to drop a line back.

Filling that decision unfair, I decided to pledge to the Preceptor West to intercede to the Steward of the Fraternity on my behalf, and she did it. She informed afterwards that after exchanges of communication between the Steward and Fra S.I.A. my membership termination status was maintained. And no further explanation was provided except that one: FLO membership "is not for every one"...

But my question remains. How a tutor, based on a couple of emails and without any face to face contact can decide the spiritual path of a student? How can someone without any offensive reason can decide to put a student away? I haven't done anything, in my point of view, to provoke such a conclusion. Except for misconduct or anything done that compromise the name of the school the student should be able to tread their own path an decided to leave or continue their studies by their own choice. A tutor shouldn't be able to terminate any student membership without discussing with the student or given them a warning. I didn't have any...

I was just a student willing to clarify my path ahead, as I have some bad experiences with other orders and spiritual fraternities. I think I have the rights to make questions about the school I'm getting into during the Probatory stage. That grade is not only for the school but for the student as well to decide if it fits. Asking a couple of question about grade structure and some teachings contents is not that bad to put someone away.

Also what exactly means "is not for every one"?

I would like some feedback from Fra/Sors from FLO on this matter or if they can help me.

In LVX

MagickTree
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by MagickTree »

I personally have infiltrated both F.L.O. and B.O.T.A. and found both of them here in Adelaide, Australia, to be controlled by LHP practitioners.

Sfairon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sfairon »

Hello to All,
First time posting on the forum, long time reader. I too have been very interested in joining a group to expand my studies and spiritual growth. The search led me to B.O.T.A and FLO. After much research, the majority of the comments I seem to come across always refer to the issues that each of the groups have, but there is never a clear explanation of the benefits of each group.

From what I have read, specifically in this forum, both groups have a very similar structure, besides the part of ritual work which apparently isn't as present in BOTA as it is in FLO. I also understand that BOTA seems to cover lots of tarot work.

Something that really interests me about BOTA is the vast amount of material that they have, which can lead to a long time of solid studies. Something that really interests me about FLO is the fact that they have introduced some of the ritual work that Case removed, which for some reason is appealing to me. Overall, the main thing I am looking for is a solid foundation for my studies and growth, something that both groups seem to offer. This is what makes my personal decision tough. I have seem many people that are part of both groups, maybe for the same reason as me, wanting to get the best information around and not being able to make a decision. But at this moment of my life, I don't have the extra time to be part of two groups, as my free time is a bit tight.

I have read some comments here stating that it might be best just to try one out and see how it works out, which makes sense. But it would be great if someone could give good, unbiased breakdown of the benefits/downfalls of each group.

Thanks and much love

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”