Crowley and Page

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Vagabond

Aloha all

I was thinking about how one of the reasons I initially started reading about Cerimonial Magick was because I read an interview that Jimmy Page gave to Guitar World a year or so ago and it talked about how he was into Crowley and how he even bought one of his houses. What I wanted to know is is if any one knows how involved Jimmy Page was with Cerimonial Magick and what not, no big reason for wanting to know just curious.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Frater C.U.G.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

JACKSON RULES!

Anyway, Page had (or has) a rather large collection of Crowley stuff, first edition books, manuscripts, and other odds and ends. He did own an occult bookshop at one time. I think I remember reading that he also republished some hard to get books. (The Equinox?)

I don't think he has ever said that he actually practiced Magick, just that he was interested in it.

Love is the law, love under will.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Nalyd23

Look at this!
Page's Symbol
David Bowie is someone else who was heavily into Magick.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Caradoc

[QUOTE=Frater C.U.G.]Anyway, Page had (or has) a rather large collection of Crowley stuff, first edition books, manuscripts, and other odds and ends. He did own an occult bookshop at one time. I think I remember reading that he also republished some hard to get books. (The Equinox?)[/QUOTE]
The bookshop was The Equinox. Atlantis bookshop has recently done the deal to sell all the remaining stock of The Equinox, I've bought a few items myself but there will be many more 1st editions coming through soon.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Hell yeah Frater C.U.G.! Jackson rocks, especially the Randy Rhoads, I only wish I had a grand so I could get the Ivory RR5 (My Avatar), I have an ebony RR3 with chrome hardware but the floating trem kinda bugs me, but I digress.

That link is Awesome Nalyd23, thanks man. I never new that Bowie was into magick, that's way cool. Do you know what kind he's into?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Well, about Bowie, all I can say is read this huge article - The Laughing Gnostic: David Bowie and the Occult and decide for yourself.:D Bowie may have been more involved than Jimmy Page.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: strangeDivine

[QUOTE=Nalyd23]Well, about Bowie, all I can say is read this huge article - The Laughing Gnostic: David Bowie and the Occult and decide for yourself.:D Bowie may have been more involved than Jimmy Page.[/QUOTE]Indeed. I believe that Bowie was primarily interested in Kabbala and Egyptian mythology during the 60s and 70s. And according to his ex-wife, during his heavy cocaine addiction during the late 70s, he kind of flipped out and believe that he had been kidnapped by a group of "witches" who were trying to steal his semen to create the Antichrist in a Rosemary's Baby type fashion. :shock: Also, they supposedly had to exorcise their indoor pool of a demon that was living in it and David became obsessed with the idea that someone was going to steal his urine, so he kept it in jars in his fridge. But you know how ex-wives can be!

Just look at these lyrics!

Quicksand

Station to Station

The Supermen

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Solis Magister

Well, I agree with Nalyd23. It really seems that Page just liked (likes?) Crowley's philosophy but it was not a "real" cerimonial magician. Well, to make justice, sometimes watching the video "The Song Remains The Same" specially during Dazed & Confused, I may guess if he was not involved with magic because what this man does it's pure magic and who knows "inspired" by some occult entity allied with some drugs...?! Have you seen his "diabolic" face during the intro of that music ?
Anyway, he was the source of inspiration and reason I started to play eletric guitar.

About his symbol, as I already wrote before posts were deleted, IMHO,It's not solved how the author of that web site claims. An old friend of mine once showed an ancient magical book and Page's symbol was there as a demon's sigil. I cannot prove this because since she married we lost contact and last time I talked with her about she said that had "lost" the book.
Anyway,I think Page's symbol is still a mystery at least for me.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Defgarden

During that "Song Remains The Same" version of Dazed and Confused, you notice the part right when he gets the bow for his guitar. He does this thing where it looks like he is adressing, saluting, banishing, or simply "doing something" to the 4 quarters. Wether or not those directions are actually quarterly directions, or what have you, it does seem a bit purposeful.

Who knows, perhaps he really was or is a practicing magician.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Sentinus

[QUOTE=Caradoc]The bookshop was The Equinox. Atlantis bookshop has recently done the deal to sell all the remaining stock of The Equinox, I've bought a few items myself but there will be many more 1st editions coming through soon.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that information, thusly leading to their link. You mention 'many more 1st editions coming thru soon'... Jimmy's no spring chicken bless his heart. I wonder if he isn't planning on unloading his collection before he errr, passes (hopefully not for many years yet to come).

Considering he owned Boleskine House for many years, has several 1st editions of Uncle Al's work, wands & articles of clothing even. I find it hard to believe that some one that obsessed with Crowley would not at least be dabbling in the arts. I mean think about it; yeah, rumors & such sell records.. but for example, how many owners of occult bookstores are you familliar with that aren't doing the Work? That's an over simplified example, but it still rings true.

Consider this also; The holy rollers have been pissing about Stairway to Heaven for years but IMO have missed seeing the forrest for the trees. A vast majority of his work with Led Zep was loaded with Thelemic, Cabbalistic & occult references. Yes it's possible to incorporate occult references into music, word & art without actually working magick.. but some of the stuff that's in the music refers to some pretty deep shit that's easilly overlooked. Especially if the listener isn't at least well read in the occult.

Is Jimmy practicing Ceremonial Magick..? I can't say for certain, but I don't doubt that he is/has. Why not have a little phun with your talents and remote view the man..? :wink:

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

I don't think anyone here has mentioned Jimmy Page's involvement with Kenneth Anger's Lucifer Rising, check this out - Anger Rising.
I think it may be safe to say that anyone as involved with Crowley's ideas as Page seems to be has at least put some of it to use Magickally.:wink:

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Solis Magister

[QUOTE=Defgarden]During that "Song Remains The Same" version of Dazed and Confused, you notice the part right when he gets the bow for his guitar. He does this thing where it looks like he is adressing, saluting, banishing, or simply "doing something" to the 4 quarters. Wether or not those directions are actually quarterly directions, or what have you, it does seem a bit purposeful.

Who knows, perhaps he really was or is a practicing magician.[/QUOTE]
I DO AGREE ! I haven't wondered about the association with the 4 quarters during that bowling. Great observation man!

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: glyph

while on the subject of old rock musicians, Robert Fripp of King Crimson was certainly a follower of AC for a while - I remember in one of his interviews in the music press him saying he was functioning in the mode of Geburah - pruning his life - and saying that AC was booby trapped
while the music is mightily martial (especially Red / Starless & Bible Black / Larks Tongues in Aspic) its not, imho, occult inspired

also his collaboration with Brian Eno, Evening Star, has a deeply spiritual 'yearning' piece of music on one side, partnered with a piece called 'An index of metals' that is decidedly alien - trans whatever

Fripp subsequently disavowed the occult and became a follower of JG Bennett (in turn a follower of Gurdjieff) - Fripp is now president of the current incarnation of their society
He also has a large collection of mystical writings I believe

Fripp played guitar for Bowie on Scary Monsters and Heroes - listen to his guitar on Teenage Wildlife - follow it note for note, it does odd things (he mentioned knowledge of chord sequences that could change consciousness)

and lets not forget the german band Can
you should all listen to AUMGN from the album TagoMago, imho a piece of chaos magick in action -
there are mixed stories about this :
two of them were tripping -
the keyboard player says he thought magick was nonsense and to prove it picked up the guitarists's MiT&P and started chanting AUMGN -
but as he was tripping he later starts drumming on a chair which he smashes -
a dog can be heard barking which ran into the studio near the climax -

at the end you can hear the damn spell fly - a creaking crow of a rickety construction - but it flies

also some of their other records have incantatory spell like things

it was because of Fripp and Can I started reading about this stuff
(I remember looking in the window of The Equinox, more than once, but it was closed, anyway I'd probably have been too intimidated to go in)

edit afterthought: isn't some of Station to Station about Crowley?
Once there were mountains, making sure white stains, throwing darts in lovers eyes??

I dont think Bowie's interest was so short lived - I saw a documentary on Bowie, maybe 8 years ago, and one shot showed him sitting him amidst a pile of books, The Book of Pleasure could clearly be seen as the central book - this was contemporary footage

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

[QUOTE=Solis Magister] he was the source of inspiration and reason I started to play eletric guitar.[/QUOTE]
Ditto, man. I bought Zeppelin's double dvd that came out last summer and it just blew my mind. I've never seen anything like that before in my life. The footage from Royal Albert Hall, Whoa Man, it's incredible. Dazed and Confused when he whips out the violin bow or then after that when he plays White Summer, it truely is magick.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Qryztufre

Though the art of backmasking Led Zeplin has done what others could only do with fancy equipment, overdubs, and backwards tracks...

While I think that most of it is a bunch of mularky this is kinda spooky.
Stairway to Heaven

If there was a top 40 of backmasked songs, then "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin would be at the top. This song contains many backward messages. Here is one of them that occurs right at the very end of the song.. It says: "Play backwards. Hear words sung." - Download mp3 file

However, by far the most controversial backward messages on the song can be found in the following soundtrack. They say backwards: "Its my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad whose power is fake (indeterminate gibberish - some people claim this says, He gives you 666) There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan." - Download mp3 file

A complete analysis of the reversals in this song and their meanings can be found in this extract: Stairway to Where? from the book, "Reverse Speech: Voices From The Unconscious." This book contains an extensive and historical analysis of many other reversals and backward messages in music. To purchase a copy of this book go to the Products Section of this website.

The first download is the best of the two...though, it's kinda LOOONG.

There are other LD examples if you google fer them, but I find this site the best on the subject.

Besure you check out the Stairway to Where? link...it's a pretty good read even if you don't get into this backwards crap.

You may also wanna check out other bands/songs with backmasking, as well as the main page.

If this seems Off Topic...sorry, it's just that I thought it fit :)

Q

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Actually, I recommend a book called Turn Off Your Mind : The Mystic Sixties and the Dark Side of the Age of Aquarius by Gary Lachman. This is a great book for some background into the "occult revival" of the 1960's and it's connection to the music then. It is published by DisInformation.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: insert_name_here

I have realized that the song by Bowie DIAMOND DOGS may be a cut-up method of Liber 418, I'll have to check. Sorry, it's a little offtopic. I Prefer BOWIE to Zeppelin, although I heard Page and Bowie attended a Gnostic Mass. As far as occult bands go I'd say TOOL are the most interesting. Thanks.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Jenfucius

[QUOTE=Nalyd23]Look at this!
Page's Symbol
David Bowie is someone else who was heavily into Magick.[/QUOTE]
It would be nice if Page and Bowie got together for an Album. They could at least put some cryptic occult messages in.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

[QUOTE=Vagabond]Hell yeah Frater C.U.G.! Jackson rocks, especially the Randy Rhoads, I only wish I had a grand so I could get the Ivory RR5 (My Avatar), I have an ebony RR3 with chrome hardware but the floating trem kinda bugs me, but I digress.

That link is Awesome Nalyd23, thanks man. I never new that Bowie was into magick, that's way cool. Do you know what kind he's into?[/QUOTE]
Yeah Bowie ws into magick for a long time.
He cryptically sings about "The Golden Dawn" and other coded reference to magick etc.
So does Page.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

[QUOTE=Qryztufre]Though the art of backmasking Led Zeplin has done what others could only do with fancy equipment, overdubs, and backwards tracks...

While I think that most of it is a bunch of mularky this is kinda spooky.

[/size][/font]

The first download is the best of the two...though, it's kinda LOOONG.

There are other LD examples if you google fer them, but I find this site the best on the subject.

Besure you check out the Stairway to Where? link...it's a pretty good read even if you don't get into this backwards crap.

You may also wanna check out other bands/songs with backmasking, as well as the main page.

If this seems Off Topic...sorry, it's just that I thought it fit :)

Q[/QUOTE]
Here's another link:

http://www2.memlane.com/jmilner/stairwaybackwards.htm

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Original post: Mmothra

Sorry, there's no bustle in my hedgerow for Jimmy Page...even if he is the Dark Lord of Boleskine Manor.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Bowie and magick? I came across this whilst browsing ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 21432&rd=1

Anyone know what this is? I can't find it at Amazon but that's probably because it's a ltd edition.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Caradoc wrote:Bowie and magick? I came across this whilst browsing ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4029221432&rd=1

Anyone know what this is? I can't find it at Amazon but that's probably because it's a ltd edition.
That is a bootleg of a 1971 show in Aylesbury. I downloaded most of it in FLAC format. Whoever released that bootleg probably choose the title, which is curious, now that I think about it. The title of that bootleg comes from the song Quicksand which appeared on the album Hunky Dory. Quicksand opens with Bowie singing "I'm closer to the Golden Dawn/immersed in Crowley's uniform of imagery/I'm living in a silent film/portraying Himmler's sacred realm of dream reality..." However, according to the setlist, Bowie did not play Quicksand during this particular performance. So, perhaps the bootlegger has an interest in the occult, or maybe I'm reading too much into it. It just sounds cool. You know? :p
I dont think Bowie's interest was so short lived - I saw a documentary on Bowie, maybe 8 years ago, and one shot showed him sitting him amidst a pile of books, The Book of Pleasure could clearly be seen as the central book - this was contemporary footage
I don't find that surprising. Bowie has been on a pretty continuous spiritual search since youth. When he was very young, he was even considering becoming a Buddhist monk. And in an interview a couple of years ago, he stated that he is quite interested in historical gnosticism at the moment. I can easily see how Bowie would feel an affinity with Spare.

Bowie has made a career of the paradigm shift. He creates characters, literally becomes them (in sometimes dangerous and destructive ways) and then abandons them and moves onto something else. I'd say he is a practicing chaos magickian, whether he self-identifies as such or not.

Also, could the stairway to heaven be the tree of life? I'm going to have to listen to that song again...

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

Wow, thanks strangeDivine. That's quite a comprehensive answer :)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Crowley and Page

[QUOTE=Caradoc]Wow, thanks strangeDivine. That's quite a comprehensive answer :)[/QUOTE]You're welcome. It's not often that I get to ramble on about Bowie trivia on here. :twisted:

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”