Pax et LVX

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: vstraitt

Hello, I apologize if this may seem like a dumb question. I am quite new in the ceremonial magic studies. I was searching everywhere for a text of explanation, but nothing results beyond the simple "LVX," so I am just wondering what does "Pax et LVX" mean as I have seen that it is quite a "trend" among ceremonial mages who signs off with this phrase. Thanks in advance.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: Frater Chanokh

I THINK it means "Peace and Light". I forget myself, to be honest.

In L.V.X. (eh? eh?),

Frater Chanokh

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: JRJ26

i do believe it means peace and light. doesn't lvx mean light? is there a "u" in Latin? I can't remember, but i vaguely think that the v=u, so lux=lvx=light. Not sure though.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: Nalyd23

Yes, Peace and Light is correct.:D

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: vstraitt

Thanks so much! Do you think Latin is an essential language to learn for further studies in ceremonial magic? I am interested in western traditions, specifically the Golden Dawn, and also A:.A:., OTO, etc.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: Fr.NovumOrganum

-But LVX itself has far far deeper meaning than just a signature trend amongs gd'ers.

The light of the cross
Light in extension
IAO

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: philalethes

[QUOTE=vstraitt]Hello, I apologize if this may seem like a dumb question. I am quite new in the ceremonial magic studies. I was searching everywhere for a text of explanation, but nothing results beyond the simple "LVX," so I am just wondering what does "Pax et LVX" mean as I have seen that it is quite a "trend" among ceremonial mages who signs off with this phrase. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Literally it means "Peace and Light," though that sounds like a throwback to the flower children of the 60's without a proper understanding of the references being made. Pax is an abbreviation of "Pax Profunda" meaning "Peace Profound". It is a traditional Rosicrucian Motto referencing Phillipians 4:5 which states, "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." L.V.X. or "lux" is literally the latin word for light, but is also used as a magical formula interpreted by the phrase "Light in Extension." Paul Case has summarized some of the main implications of the formula as follows:

From the PAUL CASE NOTEBOOK

L. V. X.

L. V. X. stands primarily for Lux, the Latin noun for Light. In the Western School of occultism this word is often written with the capital letters separated by periods, to call attention to the values of the letters in the Roman system of numeration. L indicates 50, V stands for 5, and X is 10. Thus the total value of the word is 65.

This number represents the operation of the power symbolized by 5 as that power is expressed through the agency symbolized by 6. In occultism, 65 sums up the Great Work. It is the numerical sign of the manifestation of the power of the Pentagram (5) through the agency of the Hexagram (6).

In practical occultism the Pentagram, or five-pointed star, is the sign of the Christos, the spiritual force of the I AM seated in the heart of man. The Hexagram, or six-pointed star, is a symbol of the cosmic forces surrounding man and constituting his environment. The Pentagram is the sign of the mind's domination of the forces of nature. The six-pointed star represents the cosmic forces and laws which make up the whole of the field of activity revolving around the central I AM.

Thus the number 65 expresses the occult Truth that the Christos (5) at the center of the Temple of human personality is actually in control of all natural forces (6). The indwelling Self is the ruler of the cosmic order. Hence we find that the number 65 is the number of the Hebrew noun ADNI, Adonai, "Lord," a Divine Name which refers particularly to the One Life-Power as ruler of the universe.

The same number 65 is also the sum of the value of the letters in the Hebrew noun HIKL, Haikal, meaning "Temple" or "Palace." In the "Book of Formation" we are told that this "Palace of Holiness" is located "in the center" or "in the midst," In the Biblical Temple symbolism, of which Freemasonry preserves some fragments, the "midst" is called the "Sanctum Sanctorum," or "Holy of Holies." This room had the dimensions of the perfect cube and is related to the whole series of symbolic ideas expressed by the cube which is shown on the seal of B.O.T.A. In Solomon's Temple, the Holy of Holies contained the Ark of the Covenant and the Mercy-seat on which rested the Shekinah, or Radiant Presence of God.

Because our more esoteric work has a link of connection with these traditions, we use the conclusion, "Fraternally yours in L. V. X." at the end of all our letters.

By these words we acknowledge that all wisdom and power have their source in the One Light, and by them we also testify that the One Light is the One Life. This One Life, seated in the heart of man, is the True Self, the One Lord, Adonai, enthroned within His Holy Temple. To the extension of that Light and to the manifestation of its power in the lives of men, our work is dedicated. May the full glory of that Radiance be extended upon you.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: Nalyd23

Khabs em Pekht (KONX OM PAX) - Usually translated as "Light In Extension" but probably closer to "to attain the Star". Now I will let everyone else make up their minds as to what that may mean.:D

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Pax et LVX

Original post: Taceo
Do you think Latin is an essential language to learn for further studies in ceremonial magic?
I wouldn't put too much effort into learning latin, you'll soon learn the key phrases/concepts (such as Lux etc). I think you could spend you're valuable time studying other areas of CM. If there's a word you're not sure of look it up in an online translator, thats what i do.

The ones i use:English to Latin Latin to English

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”