Christian Mysticism (Repost)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Jinjo21

Okay I cant seem to find the cache with this thread in it. I believe it was Sigilum De Aemeth and Tzimtzum for the most part but it was a really interesting thread. It seems to have been lost in the hack so if someone could be kind enough to find it and repost it here I would thank you very much.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: hitman777

Yes, this was a very interesting thread. I would like to get this conversation started up again. I remember Tzimtzum and I juyst beginning to get into the similarities in our practices, and then, well.. We were interrupted. I don't see the need to dig up a cache as many people may not like reading through them. I think we might just be better off, at least with some threads, just starting over again.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: SatsUrn

Okay I cant seem to find the cache with this thread in it. I believe it was Sigilum De Aemeth and Tzimtzum for the most part but it was a really interesting thread. It seems to have been lost in the hack so if someone could be kind enough to find it and repost it here I would thank you very much.

I think The Book of Honorius or Ars Notoria are good examples of the Black Magical Christian Art. I do not recommend these ancient texts on Christian Black Magic but here are the links; Each and Every person is only allowed to download this material once, "one time." This is just the top ten percent of the first page, this took me an entire "700mb" CD to download the entire book. From reading this I got the idea that Christianity may have been originally a Black Mass Religion or a so called pagan Cult. Also since this book is 400 years old as this manuscript it is very possible that the Catholic Inquisition has altered it. In fact I strongly believe that parts of this have been altered?

http://www.esotericarchives.com/juratus/juratus.htm

http://www.esotericarchives.com/juratus/juratus.htm

Twilit Grotto -- Esoteric Archives Contents Prev Part 1 Next timeline

Liber Juratus
or
The Sworne Booke of Honorius
Edited by Joseph H. Peterson, copyright © 1998. All rights reserved.

Permission is hereby granted to make one handwritten copy for personal use, provided the master bind his executors by a strong oath (juramentum) to bury it with him in his grave. Beyond this, whoever copies this sacred text without permission from the editor will be damned.

INTRODUCTION:
Liber Juratus is one of the oldest and most influential texts of Medieval magic. The almost legendary reputation of this work led to the forgery of the so-called Grimoire of Pope Honorius, a ridiculous work so despised by Eliphas Levi and A. E. Waite.

According to Lynn Thorndike, Magic and Experimental Science II, 281 ff, it is also known as Liber Sacer or Liber Sacratus by which name it is mentioned at least twice in the thirteenth century.

Editions
Latin. A critical edition of the Latin text has recently been published by Gösta Hedegård: LIBER IURATUS HONORII -- A Critical Edition of the Latin Version of the Sworn Book of Honorius (Stockholm : Almovist & Wiksell International, 2002)

English The only attempt at publishing any significant portion of the English translation was Daniel Driscoll's The Sworn Book of Honourius (sic) the Magician, Heptangle Books, 1977. Unfortunately, Driscoll did not make use of the best manuscripts, omitted large portions, misread and misplaced angelic names and words from the prayers, and otherwise took serious liberties with the text. It is however a fine example of the book publisher's craft, and has become a valuable collectable.

Manuscripts
The Sworne Book is represented in several manuscripts including the following found in the British Museum:

Royal MS 17Axlii (Latin and English, dated mid-sixteenth century because of borrowing from Agrippa not found in the older manuscripts). 82 folios. The title in the catalog reads 'The Sworne Booke of Honoryus':
'THE SWORNE BOOKE' of 'Honoryus' (see f. 4 b, 11. 3, 6): a translation of a book of magic, entitled (see Sloane MS. 3854, f. 138 b) 'Liber de vita anime racionalis, qui liber sacer uel liber angelorum vel liber iuratus nuncupatur, quem fecit Honorius magister Thebarum', purporting to be compiled by Honorius filius Euclidis as the result of a conference of 89 magistri from Naples, Athens, and Toledo, convened by the authority of the Pope and cardinals (cf. also Sloane MSS. 313, f. 1, 3885, f. 58). Beg. 'When wycked sprites ware gathered together'. On f. 82 is a charm, in a 16th cent. band, on the word, 'Calendant' against ague. Vellum; ff. 82. 7 1/2 in. x 5 1/2 in. XV cent. Gatherings of 4 leaves (viii5, xiv6, xv10, xix2). Sec, fol. 'and ye cause'. Pen-drawings of angels and spirits and marginal floral ornament, usually coloured, sometimes in gold; chapter-headings in red, blue, or green. On the fly-leaf (f. 1) are some late 16th cent. pen-drawings with the initials R. T. This MS. and the next two are bound together.
Sloane MS 313 (late fourteenth or early fifteenth century). This manuscript is known to have been in the collection of John Dee, and contains marginal notes in his handwriting. The title in the catalog reads simply "Tract on Magic.", or "Salomonis opus sacrum ab Honorio ordinatum, tractatus de arte magica"
Sloane 3826 (fol. 58-83) 16th century. Excerpts from LJ. The catalog of angels found in Royal MS 17Axlii also has parallels in Sloane 3826.
Sloane 3849 (art. 7) Excerpts from LJ.
Sloane 3853 fol 163f: Catalogued as 'The Divine Seal of Solomon', this manuscript actually contains large portions of the Sworn Book. Mid 16th century, also with excerpts from Agrippa (with citations). English and Latin.
Sloane 3854: (art. 9, fol 117-144) 14th century. "Honorii Magistri Thebarum liber cui titulus 'Juratus.'" or "Liber Juratus, vel liber de vita Animæ rationalis Qui Liber Sacer, vel Liber Angelorum nuncupatur quem fecit Honorius Magister Thebarum," etc.
Sloane 3883: (fols. 1-25) 17th century. "De modo ministrandi sacrum" (revealed to Solomon by an angel)
Sloane 3885: (fols. 1-25) 17th century. "Liber sacer Salomonis," repeated at fold 96v-125; (fols. 58-96) "Tractatus de re magica ab Honorio filio Euclidis magistro Thebarum ex septem voluminibus artis magicae compilatus, et intitulatus Liber sacer, sive juratus.", or "Opera Salomonis ab Honorio ordinata" (cursive script).
Of these, Sloane 3854 is the most reliable, complete, and readable.

The following text is from the Royal MS (abbreviated R) with variant readings from Sl.3885 (abbreviated S), Sl.3854 (designated S2), and Sl.3853 (designated S3).

All of the manuscripts seem to be missing some text, as shown by internal references to material not actually to be found. One example is the reference to the seals of angels. To make up for these evident deficiencies, the Royal manuscript seems to have inserted some additional text not found in the other manuscripts, namely the information on angels and incenses, most of which is taken from Agrippa and De Abano. It is also missing some text found in the other manuscripts.

Variants are of some interest. Note the recurring sound changes: "i" (R manuscript) becomes "g" (S manuscript), e.g. "ienomos" [R] = "genomos" , ..iel [r] = ..ihel , e.g. "kariel" [r] = "karihel" ; also frequent interchange of y to i and i to y; ..am [r] = ..um , e.g. "lemeliham" [r] = "lemelihum" . possible evidence of mss tradition in some other script [Hebrew or Greek?] or oral tradition.

The diagram of the Sigillum Dei Aemeth is taken from Sloane 313. This is very close to the (although considerably corrupted) version shown in Athanasius Kircher in his monumental work Oedipus Aegyptiacus (1562). The drawing of the sigil does not occur in Royal, Sloane 3854, or Sl.3885. The version in Sloane 3853 (reproduced in C.J.S. Thompson, The Mysteries and Secrets of Magic, New York, 1973, pg. 186, but without identifying the source) is somewhat different. The drawing, with interesting differences, also appears in an Italian manuscript of the Key of Solomon in the Bodleian Library, MS. Mich. 276.

John Dee, in his Mystical Experiments, was originally told to use a version found in one of his books. Dee consulted several sources, and consulted the angels to resolve the discrepancies. This prompted them to detail an almost totally new version of the Sigil. One of Dee's sources was apparently Sl.313. Roberts and Watson, in their 1990 John Dee's Library Catalogue, pg. 168, identify Sloane 313 as being one of Dee's manuscripts. They give it catalog number DM70, and note, "On fol.9 (originally the first leaf, fol.1-8 having been misbound) is [Dee's ladder symbol] and, very faint, 'Fragmentum Magicum', which may be in Dee's hand. At the foot is 'Sum Ben: Jonsonij liber'."

Note also that the section 'On the composition of the Divine Seal' also occurs in the Hebrew version of the Key of Solomon (fol. 3b-5b).

Also of interest are the 'scribal doodlings' on the first folio of the Royal MS (as well as other illuminations and drawings of angels later in the MS -- which I hope to add at a later time) which are very reminiscent of the mysterious Voynich Manuscript, which also went through the hands of Kircher.

Note too that the Orations found in Liber Juratus parallel (and are probably derived from) those found in the Ars Notoria, for example:

Liber Juratus: [Oratio 17, Royal, fol. 37v] Ars Notoria: The oration of the physical art
O Jesu the sonne of the incomprhensible god
hancor hanacor hamylos [or hanylos] iehorna theodonos helyothos [heliotheos] phagor corphandonos norizaue corithico hanosae helsezope phagora.

Eleminator candones helos helee resphaga thephagayn thetendyn thahonos micemya [S2: uicemya] hehor tahonas [heortahonos] nelos [uelos] behebos belhores hacaphagan belehothol ortophagon corphandonos
borne in the shape of a man for us sinners and yow holy angells heliothos phagnora herken and teche me and gouerne me (hic dic petitionem tuam sed p visione diuina dic ut sequitr.) that i may come to obtayne the visyon of the deyte thorow the glorious and moste gentle and moste almighte creator oure lyuyng lorde holy infinite godely and euerlastinge to whome be prayse honor and glorye worlde withowt ende. amen.
IHesus fili Dominus Incomprehensibilis:
Ancor, Anacor, Anylos, Zohorna, Theodonos, hely otes Phagor, Norizane, Corichito, Anosae, Helse Tonope, Phagora.

Another part of the same oration.

Elleminator, Candones helosi, Tephagain, Tecendum, Thaones, Behelos, Belhoros, Hocho Phagan, Corphandonos, Humanae natus & vos Eloytus Phugora: Be present ye holy angels, advertise and teach me, whether such a one shall recover, or dye of this infirmity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Liber Juratus
or
The Sworne Booke of Honorius]

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Jinjo21

Quite a nice post SatsUrn! If only tzimtzum was here.......He had a ton of info on it and it was really interesting. Oh well im sure he'll return.

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”