David Griffin's Methods?

Akairyuu
Forum Member
Forum Member

David Griffin's Methods?

Post by Akairyuu »

Hi there.

This is a topic regarding David Griffin’s Rituals from the Ritual Magick Manual, which are on the www.golden-dawn.com website.

Now firstly, the majority of people seem to say that generally one would learn the Middle Pillar Ritual after maybe two or three months of performing the LBRP in that order (From what I’ve read, anway). But when reading the articles by David Griffin, I’ve noticed that he seems to suggest performing both the LBRP and the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Hexagram (With Analysis of the Keyword) before the MP. It maybe just the way the articles are written but it the way I understood it, he seemed to suggest learning the LBRH before the MPR.
What are your thoughts on this?

These are the LBRH and MP rituals by David Griffin:
http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displayco ... e-hexagram
http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displayco ... lar-ritual

Personally, I thought it was a bit odd to have to something more complex like the LBRH before a relatively simpler MP. But then again I’m a novice so I am asking those of you who are more knowledgeable on the subject whether you think it’s actually a good idea to learn the rituals in that order. If it turns out that it’s fine or even normal learn do the rituals in that order, then I’m more than happy to do it that way; if not, then just I’ll go back to what I was doing before.

I really just wanted some peace of mind before making my mind up.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: David Griffin's Methods?

Post by Rin »

I don't know much about the hexagram rituals so I can't say specifically why he ordered them that way, but I will say that the order in which practices are done generally has less to do with how complex those practices are than it does with how they effect the magician on a physical, energetic, mental and spiritual level and how those effects build on the effects of previous practices or prepare the magician for future practices.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

TiSoleyBonHoungan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TiSoleyBonHoungan »

The LBRH is a relatively useless ritual to perform for the sheer reason that the influences being banished are so vague they may as well be non-existent. Now, the LBRP uses a very old arrangement of Hebrew God-names that is of some Kabalistic significance.

The LBRP primes and harmonizes the spiritual energies in the temple. The Middle Pillar opens the central consciousness of the magician to receive and harmonize the spiritual influences that were invoked during the LBRP.

I used this formula for YEARS of development, it is in fact, the secret to cultivating a strong spiritual foundation and also opening up to higher planes of consciousness. A diligent and patient student who does this simple formula three times a day will see spectacular results in a few short months.

LBRP, Middle Pillar, Prayer and Invocation.

Akairyuu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Akairyuu »

After some more reading, I learned that the LBRH is used to banish planetary influences to make a more sterile environment and to prevent the planets from interfering with your ritual (I also learned that the LBRP deals with spiritual influences and the LBRH deals with material influences); though not as important at the moment, I guess this would be useful in the future if say I decided to work on a talisman for specific planet and I didn't want the other planets to influence it.

I guess I was more concerned about if it would be dangerous for someone who only just learning Neophyte-level stuff (If that) to learn that ritual so early on (Especially if the signs used are learned in higher grades).

Anyway, I've just decided to keep doing what I was doing before where I'm going to keep doing just the LBRP and add on the Middle Pillar when I'm ready to.

Teddybear123
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Teddybear123 »

Hey Akairyuu,

Just to clarify LBRP is used to clean a space of elemental energies, and LBRH is used to clear planetary influences.

In your neophyte grade, it is not needed to use LBRH before MP.

But the things you are learning now its foundation. You need to get good at it before you jump to the next grade, so you can use it instantly.

If you are a neophyte now, you will work with Zodiac invocation in your next grade. LBRH is needed to banish before and after invocation. Even though the forces are absolutely nice and all and do leave after license to depart.

The thing is, in your grade you should feel the difference in energy immediately after doing LBRP also the energies felt after LBRH.This took me about 6 months daily practice LBRP LBRH (AK inclusive) MP. The timing really depends on the individual.

Remember all the stuff you work with now are nice and pretty much safe (Even if you made a few mistakes here and there).
It is more of getting you to know the protocol and everything by heart, so you are a competent magician.

Things get serious and dangerous when you reach Adeptus Minor. Evocation of forces and demons if you want( Think of an intelligent lion you invited into your room that is smarter than you in every way and wants to eat you, now you want the Lion to do things for you), all the training leads up to this point, no room for error.

That is why you are required to follow the instructions as set out in Griffin's curriculum. Notice how in the RMM "why" is rarely explained, this is to encourage you to think and look for outside materials as well as communicate with your tutor, on your findings. On another note there are also some errors in there, not sure if it is done intentionally or not, that is why you have to understand the materials to find the errors. My advice read past posts on forums you will learn lots and get a basic concept of how things should be done.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

I guess this would be useful in the future if say I decided to work on a talisman for specific planet and I didn't want the other planets to influence it.
You can do that just by choosing the correct day and time.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

5kinr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by 5kinr »

I was actually going to ask something similar about The Ritual Magic Manual, but in a different area.

Griffin writes that one should be careful to put their tools away safely before doing any kind of banishing, otherwise one runs the risk of inadvertently banishing the forces attracted to those tools in their consecration. Personally, my BS alarm went off; I would think that the only way this could happen is if the tools in question were outside of the area being cleared, and even then it seems unlikely (we're talking lesser pentagram and hexagram rituals here). After all, there are certain tools that are meant to be used in both banishing and other uses, a good example being the Sword.

Nonetheless, is this something that could theoretically happen?

Akairyuu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Akairyuu »

Thank you all for your advice, sorry I've not been around, I have been rather distracted by my university work but am still practicing my LBRP every night before bed :) I should explain that I am solitary, although in the future when I gain more freedom and an income of my own, I may choose to join an order of some description; depending if I am still on that path by then of course.

I have to admit, I found that part about banishing items in the room a bit dodgy as well. I think that to deconsecrate a tool, you would at least need some intention in doing so (At least in low magick you do, not so sure about high/ceremonial magick). Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Lord Ferocia
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Lord Ferocia »

Akairyuu wrote:Hi there.

This is a topic regarding David Griffin’s Rituals from the Ritual Magick Manual, which are on the http://www.golden-dawn.com website.

Now firstly, the majority of people seem to say that generally one would learn the Middle Pillar Ritual after maybe two or three months of performing the LBRP in that order (From what I’ve read, anway). But when reading the articles by David Griffin, I’ve noticed that he seems to suggest performing both the LBRP and the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Hexagram (With Analysis of the Keyword) before the MP. It maybe just the way the articles are written but it the way I understood it, he seemed to suggest learning the LBRH before the MPR.
What are your thoughts on this?

These are the LBRH and MP rituals by David Griffin:
http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displayco ... e-hexagram
http://www.golden-dawn.com/eu/displayco ... lar-ritual

Personally, I thought it was a bit odd to have to something more complex like the LBRH before a relatively simpler MP. But then again I’m a novice so I am asking those of you who are more knowledgeable on the subject whether you think it’s actually a good idea to learn the rituals in that order. If it turns out that it’s fine or even normal learn do the rituals in that order, then I’m more than happy to do it that way; if not, then just I’ll go back to what I was doing before.

I really just wanted some peace of mind before making my mind up.

Absolutely keep it simple at first. Simply perform the LBRP until you have it down. After you are confident with the LBRP, you may start to study the LBRH, while you perform the MPR. The LBRH was usually held off until a higher grade than the 0=0. The LBRH was usually given the Zelator, leaving the LBRP as the main ritual to perfect until then.

It is never a good idea to learn two rituals at the same time. Quality over quantity.
Lord Ferocia

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”