non traditional methods of achieving K&C

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

non traditional methods of achieving K&C

Post by insomni4c »

Has anyone here used any non traditional methods of initiating contact or uniting with your HGA? Non traditional as in methods other than the Abramelin operation or the Bornless rite. Also what do you guys feel are the essentials when it comes to this sort of operation? I'm also hoping to see what your guys' thoughts are on the method I have been using.

I've actually been performing a rite that I wrote to invoke my HGA, using the metaphor of the ancient Greek Daemon. A good chunk of the rite is based on one that I found in the Greek Magical Papyri that is intended to cause you to meet your own Daemon. With the HGA and the Daemon being very parallel concepts, I thought it was rather fitting.

I felt like it was appropriate to write the ritual myself, given the personal nature of this being. I also feel that if I have a few technical details wrong, my HGA will hear the sincerity in my invocation since I have written it (mostly) with my own hand.

This ritual, I've allowed to evolve organically as I gain a better understanding of exactly what it is that I am invoking, and what it means to me personally. I've incorporated the rite into my scrying sessions and have been using the information I "receive" - when relevant, sometimes it's just noise - to work out the kinks and refine the rite. I have also been using other divination methods, like the tarot, for this purpose. I'm still working out a few kinks, but I'll put the ritual under a spoiler down below.
Spoiler:
For this rite you will need: wine, an egg, a censure, frankincense, and whatever else you deem necessary.

1. Make the first gesture of the Star Ruby:
Facing East, in the centre, draw deep deep deep thy breath closing thy mouth with thy right forefinger prest against thy lower lip. Then dashing down the hand with a great sweep back and out, expelling forcibly thy breath, cry APO PANTOS KAKODAIMONOS ["Away, every evil spirit"].
I perform the fourfold breath for awhile before the second part of this gesture to silence my mind and prepare for the rest of the rite, the rest is just a simple banishing.

2. Perform the Kabbalistic cross (the version from the LBRP rather than the Star Ruby), replacing Ateh with Eheieh, and Amen with Adonai.

I use this to balance myself. Replacing Ateh (thou art) with Eheieh (I am) establishes the magician as the center of the universe, and is also the god name associated with Kether, paralleling the next word Malkuth. Replacing Amen with Adonai, focuses this balancing and centers myself in tiphareth. Adonai = 65 = 6 + 5 = 11 = Abrahadabra. 6 and 5 are both relevant numbers to Tiphareth, being the 6th sephirah when moving down from Kether, and the 5th when moving up from Malkuth. 5 = 6 is also the formula of the Lesser Adept in the A.'.A.'., 6 = 5 being the formula of the Greater Adept. Adonai is also the name that Crowley used for his HGA, making the name even more fitting. 11 is often considered to be the number of magic, with Abrahadabra meaning, "I create as I speak", further establishing myself in the center.

3. Burn Frankincense in a censure, and carry it with you as you make one full circumambulation deosil. On the second rotation, stop in the Southeast and draw the cross as it is done in the rose cross ritual, vibrating "Saotes". Complete the circle, and continue in this manner, making the crosses in the order of the rose cross, vibrating the name each time, and completing one revolution per cross. After the final cross, make one last revolution and stop in the East.

This section is very similar to the main body of the rose cross ritual, which is a very tipharethian rite, invoking the light of Christ/Tiphareth to balance the area and shield and calm the aura. It forms a sort of protective barrier, that differs from the one created by the LBRP. The name Yeheshuah is replaced with Saotes, an epithet of Dionysus meaning "Saviour". Dionysus is often compared with Christ, being born of a mortal woman and the god Zeus, being twice born, turning water into wine, being a god of liberation; he was also one of the few figures in Greek mythology to resurrect a mortal. etc. Crowley considered him to the "true" Christ.

In total there are 6 circumambulations here. The modified K-cross centered the magician in Tiphareth, this section centers the space or temple in Tiphareth. While the K-cross draws the magician up to Tiphareth, this part draws the light down the tree to meet him.

4. Hold your hands out in front of you palm up and recite the Orphic Hymn to the Daemon.
Thee, mighty-ruling, Dæmon dread, I call, mild Jove [Zeus], life-giving, and the source of all:
Great Jove [Zeus], much-wand'ring, terrible and strong, to whom revenge and tortures dire belong.
Mankind from thee, in plenteous wealth abound, when in their dwellings joyful thou art found;
Or pass thro' life afflicted and distress'd, the needful means of bliss by thee supprest.
'Tis thine alone endu'd with boundless might, to keep the keys of sorrow and delight.
O holy, blessed father, hear my pray'r, disperse the seeds of life-consuming care;
With fav'ring mind the sacred rites attend, and grant my days a glorious, blessed end.
The Hymn calls for a fumigation of Frankincense, which is supplied in the previous step. The original rose cross ritual calls for a variation of the analysis of the keyword after the crosses are drawn, in this ritual a hymn is recited to the Daemon. The Daemon runs parallel to concepts like the HGA, higher genius, the Atman.

5. Clap 11 times, in the pattern 5 - 6.

The meaning of the 5, 6, and 11 were already explained earlier. The claps symbolize a shift in the ritual, the temple is open and the next part can begin.

6. Holding your hands out in front of you as you did when reciting the hymn, recite the invocation/formula from PGM VII 505 - 521 vibrating the names that are in all caps.
Hail Tyche, and you, the Daimon of this place, and you the present hour, and you the present day - and every day as well. Hail Universe, that is Heaven and Earth. Hail Helios for you are the one who has established yourself in the invisible light over the firmament. ORKORETHARA.

You are the father of the reborn Aion ZARACHTHO; you are the father of awful nature THORTCHOPHANO, you are the one who has within yourself the mixture of universal nature, and who begot the five wondering stars, which are the entrails of Heaven, the guts of the Earth, the fountainhead of waters, and the violence of fire. AZAMACHAR ANAPHANDAO EREYA ANEREYA PHENPHENSO IGRAA; you are the youthful one, highborn, scion of the holy temple, kinsman to the holy mere called Abyss, which is located between the two pedestals SKIATHI and MANTO. And the Earth's four basements were shaken, O master of all, holy Scarab. AO SATHREN ABRASAX IAOAI AEO EOA OAE IAO IEO EY AE EY IE EY IAOAI.
This is taken from a rite intended to cause the magician to meet with his own Daemon.

5. Take the wine in your hand and say "This is my blood, the self as I currently know it, the microcosm". Knock 5 times on the altar, and pour it into the glass. Now take the egg and say "This is the Universe, my higher divine self, the macrocosm". Knock 6 times on the alter, crack the egg, and add it to the wine. Hold up the wine and say, "By the great god Akrataphoros, I declare this wine the mixture of universal nature, the great work completed" and down the glass.

The great work can be described as the union of the microcosm and the macrocosm, man and god, the magician and his angel/daemon. The wine represents the self or the microcosm, while the egg is the angel or the macrocosm. Mixing the two is a representation of that union, and is a reference to the invocation from the last step "you are the one who has within yourself the mixture of universal nature. Akrataphoros is another epithet of Dionysus, meaning "Bringer of mixed wine".

6. At this step I usually sit down and scry, or meditate for however long feels necessary. After performing it for awhile, here is where I sometimes have visions or personal revelations.

7. Clap as before, signalling that the ritual is coming to an end.

8. Perform the Kabbalistic cross as before.

I still have a few tweaks that I would like to make to the rite. I'd like to add a second part to the invocation, after drinking the wine, where I self identify as my Daemon/HGA. I'm considering using the part from the Stele of Jeu (the predecesser to the bornless rite) where the magician identifies as the bornless/headless one, but I'm not totally sure yet.

I have also heard of people scrying the sigil of their HGA in order to aid with their efforts. I would like to, at some point, try that out during the scrying stage of the rite. If I am successful, I'd want to confirm it with other means of divination, and then make a mask by making a plaster mold of my face and draw the sigil onto the mask. I'd then put on the mask after drinking the wine, before the self identification with the spirit.
I've only been doing the ritual for a few weeks now, but it's had interesting effects. I've noticed that my scrying sessions in this ritual go leagues better than they usually do. I also feel very charged up afterwords, yet at peace and balanced. My experiences with psychedelics have also changed dramatically, being characterized by a loving presence, but I do not feel the presence when I'm sober so it might just be that I'm out of my gourd. I realize that, whatever method is used, knowledge and conversation can take a long time to achieve, the Abramelin operation takes 6 months, and I've heard of people spending years chasing their HGA and not getting so much as a single moment of contact, so I'm not expecting an overnight solution or anything lol.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: non traditional methods of achieving K&C

Post by Shinichi »

Bardon has some non traditional methods, starting with communication with the HGA via Automatic Writing.

In my Norse practice, my Dis is what most Hermeticists define as the HGA, and it sort of contacted me the first time. I kinda just worked backwards from there as my psychic senses developed until I'm simply able to talk to it and, generally, get responses. Sometimes there is silence, either when I already know the answer or when the answer is for me to figure out on my own. Honor prayers and offerings, and simply reaching out often help develop a stronger connection.

Some people in Native European practice consider the Fylgja with the HGA, but this is incorrect. The HGA is something different from and higher ranking than a Familiar Spirit. The HGA also isn't your Higher Self, it is its own being separate from you, and assigned to you by the powers that be to watch over your fates. It's precisely because the HGA is not the Higher Self that you can learn so much from it that isn't your own knowledge.

~:Shin:~

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

The HGA also isn't your Higher Self, it is its own being separate from you, and assigned to you by the powers that be to watch over your fates. It's precisely because the HGA is not the Higher Self that you can learn so much from it that isn't your own knowledge.
I've heard arguments for both sides of that, and both generally make a lot of sense. Right now, I lean more towards it being a part of me, because that fits my general paradigm. I do not believe in any separation between myself and the divine, not in the sense that it's all pieces of my personality, but more so that the separation is an illusion. I have not achieved much in the form of contact with my HGA though; so I probably should avoid making any claims yet haha, and am trying to keep an open mind towards perspectives like your own.

I really dig the idea of the Hindu Atman, the self that is Brahman. I often see it compared to the HGA, and my perspective so far on the spirit generally runs more parallel with the Atman than an external spirit. The Daemon, which I'm focussing on in my rite, is also often paralleled with the HGA, and is also sometimes referred to as the higher genius; for example in the Orphic Hymns, the one devoted to the Daemon is titled, Hymn to the Daemon or Genius.

Crowley originally believed the HGA to be his higher self, but later changed his mind, which is interesting. I think it could really go either way, and may depend on the magician, since these two differing perspectives seem to hold true for the people that believe either one, from what I've read at least. I guess I'll see how mine manifests when I get there haha.

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

I don't think the details are what's important here.

They only serve to confuse and mislead.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Crowley eventually changed his mind because his practical experience forced him to come to terms with a vital flaw in the psychological models that he gave serious consideration to for years. It's not all in your head. Unless you are delusional or psychotic. At the end of the day, real spirits are individual persons as unique and separate from you as your parents and children are.

Sure, there is the Divine, the Spirit that ties us all together. Samadhi, Gnosis, whatever you want to call it. But ignoring distinction in the pursuit of oneness is blind and foolish. That is not Wisdom.

You should also study the history of the Daemon a bit, because different schools of thought use the term differently, and in very specifically different ways. Socrates is the first I know of who used the term, referring to a voice in his head that warned him against doing things that would lead him astray from his fate. From his descriptions and my experiences, that would be comparable with the "HGA." However, later authors reduced this to a term of psychology, believing that it was just in his head and simply his "conscience." Then other authors still, Plato I believe, divided the term into Eudaemon and Kakodaemon, the "good" and "bad" spirits that influence you. Essentially, the angel and devil, respectively, that sit on your shoulders and whisper in your ear - an allusion we are all likely familiar with in modern times. Then others still use the term to address nature spirits in general. So, just know what you're working with. Based on your aims, perhaps you should examine what Socrates has to say about it, if you haven't already.

As someone who has achieved K&C with the HGA, can tune in to the HS, and communicates with familiars and other spirits as well, all I can say is that those are three very different and distinct things and none of them are just in my head (even the HS, which is a complex subject). Whether you think that detail is important or not is up to you.

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

I never said I thought it was all in my head, I actually tried to emphasize that that wasn't what I meant haha. I must not have done a very good job of that. I just mean that in my opinion, beings that are percieved as external aren't necessarily separate from ourselves, without trying to imply that I use a psychological model.

From the way I understand it, many people experience the HGA very differently. Some experience an external entity, and for some it seems to be from within, while other's may experience something somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. I do admit that I could be wrong, I was just trying to explain why I think what I do. I'm also not trying to say that you are wrong, just because two ideas are seemingly contradictory doesn't mean one has to be wrong and the other right (there's the chaote in me coming out :P).

I do agree that I need to do more reading on the Daemon, I very well may be overgeneralising. Thanks for the information on that, I'll definitely take a look at what Socrates had to say about it.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I do lean more towards the HGA being a part of oneself, but I'm still a little on the fence since I haven't personally achieved K&C. I'm also a little stubborn with my beliefs sometimes haha. I recently did a tarot reading relating to this ritual I've been doing that suggested I need to stop that, so hearing differing opinions is probably good for me.

palindrom
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by palindrom »

could someone please explain to me what K&C is?
english is not my mothertongue, and while the term HGA is quite well known in german magical discussion-platforms, i never read about K&C yet

(i'm in contact with my fylgia (she introduced herself as being this), and with an angel who came to me in a dream, but i wouldn't know if this is my HGA; i don't know too much about crowley's world(s) anyway. he is a teaching being though - the angel, i mean [wink] - and that's quite fine for now)

greetings!

pali

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

We're not that far apart, insomni. I was just being the vocal intensive person I usually am. [greensmile]

It's not entirely wrong to think of the HGA as part of you, but mainly in the sense that it is attached to you, the way a familiar and other things can be. Or even more than that, I've always gotten the feeling that it's responsible for me. It was given the task of making sure that I live out certain life experiences, fulfilling a certain destiny and fate required of me. And it will manipulate the events of my life to make sure I learn those lessons, even if it has to work against me to do so.
palindrom wrote:could someone please explain to me what K&C is?
english is not my mothertongue, and while the term HGA is quite well known in german magical discussion-platforms, i never read about K&C yet
Knowledge and Conversation. It comes from an old middle ages grimoire called The Book of Abramelin, which teaches what is called The Abramelin Operation. The first part of this involves achieving Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel. Once this is done, the HGA will teach you real magick and guide you through everything else in the grimoire, including the evocation of the 12 Kings and Dukes of Hell in order to bind them. This done, the magician conquers their influence and achieves great authority over the natural world, and so the rest of the book is about making magical talismans for things like invisibility, flight, finding buried treasure, love charms, and other ancient fun things.

The grimoire was revived and made popular again when Mathers published an English translation of it in 1897, which lead to Crowley and others doing their own take on what the book offers afterwards.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

I'm still trying to tell what's what off-paper or experientially. I've had my own degree, albeit perhaps slightly less often, of Maya's experience of the girl living in my head (very HGA in her tone and tenor but holding up Raphael in The Lovers against Isis Urania in The Star - how would you tell them apart if you met them?!) and I'm hoping one of these days that some of this will stabilize into a pattern that I can feel more clear about my bearing on.

Being in two very strong albeit slow-burn mystic/magic orders and performing my own experiments on the side very well may make it happen. What I'm looking at right now as far as endeavors is approaching my divining a bit like a Rosicrucian revamp on Catholic prayer - ie. I approach the question of the shuffle with 'Master Within', as perhaps identical to 'God of my heart, God of my realization'. Also, anytime I close my Pattern on the Trestleboard I'm closing my intention with the phrase 'deo volente' as I'm really hoping that everything I ask for is what I need, and to the extent that anything I ask for is a distraction to what I need I'd ask my HGA expressly to rule against it.

I do think approaching divining as prayer may be the first step in essentially getting the will of your HGA because, really, what else could be speaking through the cards? I've had too many times where the cards were telling me to have no fear or to have minor concerns for completely different reasons when dealing with something that scared the heck out of me for old tautological reasons. This holds especially true for the spreads where (for example Celtic Cross) I have at least two or three solid points of tie-out that there's a very well-honed message being delivered. I look to the cards to guide me toward what I should go toward, away from what I should avoid, they seem to contradict me plenty - in a very particular and coherent fashion - and I feel like I'm being challenged to grow past certain things, even things I would have previously considered moral strengths, based on their suggestions. All of that seems to bear the watermark of something with a knowledge significantly past my own and a point of reference that has the consequences of my paranoias in mind but rarely if ever edifies the causes.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

That's interesting, I like the idea of using divining as a form of prayer. It sounds like a really sound approach to divination. That image that appears in your head is also really interesting, I'm not totally sure what to make of it either though haha.

I haven't been reading Tarot for very long, but I'd like to incorporate it more into this work I'm doing, since it seems like a really good avenue of communication. Right now I mostly just recite a simple invocation and pull a card every morning. Usually in the afternoon or evening I look at related cards and try to really solidify the meaning of the card I drew.

I made some neat progress with the rite last night. I decided to attempt to scry the spirit's sigil. I got a lot of vague impressions, and drew several versions of what I might be seeing, one of which really stood out to me. I drew a card to see if I could confirm that I had the correct sigil, and two other cards fell out when I was shuffling the deck, so I took them into account as well. The card I drew was the Ace of Cups. The part that most stood out in this particular reading was the idea of the holy grail, and it representing a receptacle for divine inspiration, or the holy ghost descending into the wine. What was really intriguing though was that the illustration looked remarkably similar to the sigil I scried, like I was a little blown away by it haha. The whole reading together, and a few odd coincidences directly afterwords seem to really suggest that I got the correct sigil, which is very cool. I'll hopefully get to work on constructing that mask here soon.

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”