The Golden Dawn material

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Golden Dawn material

Post by neofight »

I just finished reading The Middle Pillar by I Regardie. I am waiting for my copy of a Garden of Pomegranates. Ive already studied the GD manuscript. I find the Middle Pillar to be extremely intro in content, mostly a pro-occult study/ceremonial guide, without much comment on what to expect, or how to overcome the "shadow" that Chic and Tabitha comment on later. I mean, what is this "shadow"? it can mean anything- at any time I could either be a shadow, or standing in light- it is up to me to decide, and I could do this at any time- even in the beginning. There doesn't seem to be any particular destination in mind for these authors. There also seems to be lacking a number of necessary magickal ideas to work with, even in the GD manuscript. If you want to chant Divine names without even understanding what you are doing, then this is fine- but it is the meaning of these name which matter, and they don't bother explaining them. The GD manuscript was undecipherable to me until I read Understanding Thoth Tarot by DuQuette- which honestly showed what these things mean, and he did it in a clean and concise, useful method that the GD script totally ignores. I really see now why the GD failed. Crowleys system of magick is far superior. Im holding back judgment until I read pomegranates. Im still looking for "the" book that gives me all the definitions and options. [rage]

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The Golden Dawn material

Post by chowderpope »

quit being a coward and do the entirety of Initiation into Hermetics
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by neofight »

LOL@the idea that I am a coward. [rofl]

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

fight me then [rofl]

jk gimme kiss

but for real i suggest actually trying the MP rather than just reading and critiquing from a head space. the milk and cookies is in the practice.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I would counter that with the suggestion that you follow Regardie's advice and don't practice the MP until you've done at least 6 months of the LBRP twice daily and undertaken some at least rudimentary psychotherapy. The MP is a deceptively powerful exercise, not only serving to open the central channel and stimulate certain energy centers along it (generally advanced practices in their own right), but doing so in a quantitatively greater way than possibly any other equivalent exercise I've encountered. And this is "not" a case where more is better, especially outside of the context of a system of yogic development which prepares the body for that kind of sudden and centralised increase in energetic flow.

The Middle Pillar can and does cause serious issues if you aren't prepared for it, and unfortunately this is one of the situations where you're unlikely to be able to evaluate your own preparedness.

As for the "shadow," from memory Regardie was quite heavy into Jung, so I suspect he's referring to the concept from a Jungian perspective. Which leads back to the recommendation for therapy - and of course reading Jung.

As for the GD, I'd personally recommend starting at the shallow end and working back - something like Kraig's 12 Lessons. But I'd also recommend that you decide what you really want before you embark on a system of development, and then try your best to ascertain whether that system can offer it to you. It doesn't matter how pretty the path is if it doesn't lead you anywhere you want to go.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by neofight »

I am just going to say this here because I don't know where else to say it.

The world is naturally selfish. We are surrounded by self interest and desire- in fact, we trade in this constantly and it is responsible for a lot of why we work. We also work to provide shelter and food and clothes and medicine.

I may be surrounded by a "natural" method of selfishness, but I am a Qabalahist, and I am in charge of what I believe, and what I stand for, and how I want my world to become. I am in charge, and we will never know Gods plan (should you believe in God). God is all of this, and I am choosing to represent the things that are obvious to the eye that are good in the view of survival and security.

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by neofight »

Some people will never know what the word "Will" even means. Some will never taste liberty or excess. This isnt about being grateful; its about proving your gratitude with actions.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Doesn't 'Will' ultimately resolve to Consciousness? I.e. a derivative thereof...

Consciousness has become a very big Player lately, it's looking more and more like the most fundamental substance of existence. I even consider 'Space' as an Aetherial Expansion Created by Consciousness. So it's Primordial Consciousness and the expansion of that is the Universe, and in Dreams there is also an Aethereal expansion initiated by the Microcosm. I'm not sure why this has become so important lately :-)

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

It's important because 'Space' is an illusion. Consciousness is the only 'Real' Existence, and Consciousness is a Zero Dimensional Point. Consciousness creates Space, this is what I call an Aetherial Expansion, and it is exactly the same way the Universe was created via Kether, I AM, The Primordial Point, The Primordial Consciousness !

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”