Aliester Crowleys system of Magick

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Aliester Crowleys system of Magick

Post by neofight »

Crowleys Law declares that you can do ANYTHING you like, except walk through the door into Christianity.

neofight
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Aliester Crowleys system of Magick

Post by neofight »

The only truth is to submit to Jesus

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Firstly you should learn what Crowley actually meant before giving out moral advice.Tim Maroney sums up nicely:

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law" is a moral utterance found in the Thelemic foundation scripture, which is called the Book of the Law. "Do what thou wilt" is known as the Law of Thelema. It is derived from the rule of the fictional Abbey of Thélème in the classic satire Gargantua by the French priest and occult student François Rabelais. Crowley recommends study of Rabelais when discussing the Law. In Rabelais this rule was "fay çe que vouldras", French for "do what you will." From his work the maxim became a well-known part of Western literary life, and was adopted by the satirical English gentleman's society called the Hell-Fire Club or the Friars of Medmenham.

In Crowley's writing, the Law of Thelema is explained in terms of True Will, the ultimate spiritual core or quintessence of each person, which has a divinely self-ordained path through the world of experience. "Do what thou wilt" refers not to the outer emotional and intellectual self but to this sacred inner core of personal divinity. Often will is contrasted with whim, and the knowing and doing of the True Will is painted not in terms of license and ease but of responsibility and hard work.

Since this new law replaces outdated moral codes based around sins and forbidden acts, a person knowing and doing the will might appear to be sinful from a traditional viewpoint. In Crowley's view the Thelemite is following a demanding code requiring great personal integrity even while, for instance, making love in ways that would be illegal in oppressive societies. Sometimes it is natural to express this ironic inversion of traditional mores in satiric form, and Crowley, Rabelais and the Hell Fire Club all made heavy use of the satirical style in their writing and work.

Crowley also held that "do what you will" was an ethical code bearing on how one should deal with others. However, he expressed a number of contradictory views of this ethical aspect of the Law. To him the Law of Thelema was almost completely explicable in terms of self-improvement and he sometimes even denied the existence of others. One view which one often finds in his writings, and is accepted by most of his followers, is that one must respect not only one's own will but the wills of others. All the wills are magically arranged so that there is no conflict between them, just as (so it was believed in Crowley's day) the stars are arranged so that they never collide. The personal will and the will of all are mystically joined as a whole which is also the basis of individuality in a paradoxical way. Collision between wills would indicate that one or the other person was not doing their True Will.
At other times Crowley said that the only error was to believe that others existed at all and that they had wills that could be violated. This was a solipsistic position inspired by his sympathy for the philosopher Berkeley and modified through Crowley's conception of God as a force within oneself rather than outside."

I will not comment on Jesus but rather suggest you may not advise pinning your hopes on a mythical character constructed by the Early Church.
Woe if I reveal,Woe if I do not reveal...

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

violetstar wrote: I will not comment on Jesus but rather suggest you may not advise pinning your hopes on a mythical character constructed by the Early Church.
I would like to know more [grin]

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Cerber wrote:
violetstar wrote: I will not comment on Jesus but rather suggest you may not advise pinning your hopes on a mythical character constructed by the Early Church.
I would like to know more [grin]
Oh there is lots more.At least three separate Jesus's in the NT: Jesus the Nazarene or more correctly the Nazorean a political activist,Jesus the healer and peacemaker and of course Jesus Christ.The first came to bring a sword,the second peace.The latter was invented by Paul-who never knew Jesus,and was later used as a political tool by the Church Fathers who added various elements to the story.

Compounding the problem were the many homeless Jesus's that milled around the city gates of Jerusalem all of whom claimed to be the Messiah.Take your pick [happyface]

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

So which one is sitting on the golden throne these day? I've been asleep for the last few centuries, a bit out of the loop..

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

According to Wiki its :Alan John Miller (1962–), more commonly known as A.J. Miller, a former Jehovah's Witness elder and current leader of the Australia-based Divine Truth movement.Miller claims to be Jesus Christ reincarnated with others in the 20th century to spread messages that he calls the "Divine Truth". He delivers these messages in seminars and various forms of media along with his current partner Mary Suzanne Luck, who identifies herself as the returned Mary Magdalene. [happyface]

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

violetstar wrote:According to Wiki its :Alan John Miller (1962–), more commonly known as A.J. Miller, a former Jehovah's Witness elder and current leader of the Australia-based Divine Truth movement.Miller claims to be Jesus Christ reincarnated with others in the 20th century to spread messages that he calls the "Divine Truth". He delivers these messages in seminars and various forms of media along with his current partner Mary Suzanne Luck, who identifies herself as the returned Mary Magdalene. [happyface]
Cool, they are like flu, every season new strain..

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”