Elements and Directions of Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram

Darroth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Elements and Directions of Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram

Post by Darroth »

I noticed today that the four elements are joined in the QC, as the Liber Libræ says:
18. Therefore, as hath already been said, Establish thyself firmly in the equilibrium of forces, in the centre of the Cross of the Elements, that Cross from whose centre the Creative Word issued in the birth of the Dawning Universe.
I looked up the correspondences, Kether is air, Malkuth is earth, Geburah is fire, and Chesed is water. I thought about it and it makes sense. Air is opposite of earth. Fire is the opposite of water. However, those elements don't face each other in the LRP.

In addition, if you circle around the sides of the tree of life, the order of elements is air, water, earth, and fire. But that's not the order of the elements in the LRP either.

But, air, water, earth, and fire is the order of the elements in the Star Ruby which Crowley describes as
An improved form of the lesser ritual of the Pentagram
in Book 4.

Furthermore, the order of the elements when you draw the pentagram is air, water, earth, and fire plus spirit.

So why is the order in the Golden Dawn's LRP, air, fire, water, and earth? Are they wrong? Was it a blind or a mistake?

Thank you.

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Elements and Directions of Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram

Post by Amor »

Perhaps the elements refer to planes

Rule 8: Let the magician guard himself from drowning at the point where land and water meet. The midway spot, which is neither dry nor wet, must provide the standing place whereon his feet are set. When water, land and air meet, there is the place for magic to be wrought.

But who can meet such a criterion?

Return to “Ceremonial Magick”