Is a Logo a Sigil?

Albion
Forum Member
Forum Member

Is a Logo a Sigil?

Post by Albion »

Hi All

If we accept that the creative process for creating/designing a logo eg. MacD, Coca Cola is not a million miles from what goes into a sigil, is a logo in effect a sigil?

There is even an (implied) SOI in "It is my will that people will buy into my brand"...

What does everyone think? Is this why TESCO is managing taking over the world (well chunks of Britain at least)?

Albion

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Is a Logo a Sigil?

Post by Nahemah »

Yes.It is.

Adverstising is a powerful medium for empowerment too,especially on television.Colours,noise and repetition.

I used to love adverts as a kid,I never watched tv but I 'd come in and sit down for the adverts and then just before they ended I 'd get up and leave the room,my mum swore by me,for tea making purposes,lol.Kinda scary to think about though,it's a form of brainwashing,when when you think about it and it's everywhere.

I have never been convinced though,I do like some ads that are funny or visually entertaining,but I 've never been persuased by one.I buy from reading the ingredients and I target in narrow parameters,do I want this,or do I need it? And I get the cheapest possible items for my needs,regardless of the pzazz and flash or fancy claims made by big brands.Advert Fail,in our house,lol.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Yes, as Nahemah says above, a logo is definitely a sigil. A lot of work goes into the construction of a logo to make it visually appealing and capable of attracting attention to the product - much in the same as a magician would put in work to create a glamour effect in a sigil. The logo has a lot of energy poured into it to represent the product also, its SOI being 'It is my will that this logo represent the product and attract customers to it'.

Good spotting Albion. [thumbup]

ΙΟΛΗ7
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by ΙΟΛΗ7 »

logo is just a sign...,used by an individual,business organization,or other legal entity,to identify that the products belong to them...logo services the need for advertisement,money,fame...it's made out of a computer.

Sigil is a sacred construction...created for a specific magical purpose...made up of a complex combination of several specific symbols or geometric figures,each with a specific meaning or intent...hides inside it,the wisdom and knowledge of thousands of years...it must be purified and follow a certain procedure in order to energize it...many practitionaires used to make sigils out of stone or wood...how can you compete with that ????
Which is the wisdom of a logo ?? Money????

logo is NOT a sigil.
Most people fight for the possible.
I fight for the impossible!

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

ΙΟΛΗ7 wrote:logo is just a sign...,used by an individual,business organization,or other legal entity,to identify that the products belong to them...logo services the need for advertisement,money,fame...it's made out of a computer.

Sigil is a sacred construction...created for a specific magical purpose...made up of a complex combination of several specific symbols or geometric figures,each with a specific meaning or intent...hides inside it,the wisdom and knowledge of thousands of years...it must be purified and follow a certain procedure in order to energize it...many practitionaires used to make sigils out of stone or wood...how can you compete with that ????
Which is the wisdom of a logo ?? Money????

logo is NOT a sigil.
I disagree. For one thing, a logo is designed to draw the eye to a product - its purpose is to create meaning where meaning doesnt exist through linking a product with a symbol or shape, thus unifying the product with the image of the logo itself. Such a thing is comparable to such sigils as the inverted pentagram of some branches of Satanism, the Chaos Star when it is used in the way first described by Michael Moorcock as the eight arrows of opportunity, and the crucifix of the Christians - all these things qualifying as sigils due to the sheer fact that the root of what a sigil is is that of a seal or magically symbolic object (sigillum).

Secondly, logos arent just computer generated, they are created by teams of logo artists and their creation is one of the most important stages on branding a product. Quite a lot of time goes in to creating a logo, and its creation is extremely comparable to that of the creation of a sigil - logos are chosen with the intent of making their shape embody the product they represent for the most part, the colours they use are important, and the size and placement on the product itself are also important to the logo designer. Overall, the generation of a logo is in fact a very magical process on a constructive level, as it attempts to convey on a subconscious level, directly into the brain of the recipient, a whole string of messages about the product and its features that the advertising has set up through other mediums.

As for sigils 'hiding inside them the wisdom and knowledge of thousands of years... being purified and following a certain procedure in order to energize them' and 'many practitioners making sigils out of stone or wood', youre obviously following a completely different system to chaos magic, where sigils are most prevalent. In chaos magic, sigils are throw away items, not being built out of stone and/or wood, and they are designed to deliver a very specific idea. Sigilisation also doesnt hold inside it the 'wisdom and knowledge of thousands of years' - its usually designed to deliver a specific idea that accomplishes a set goal that needs to be done now. As for purification and procedure, most logos do in fact follow a process for gnosis - think about it: all logos have supporting elements that go with them - Ronald McDonald supports the McDonalds logo, as does the McDonalds music, so he could be seen as the trigger for the gnosis that surrounds the McD's golden arches sigil.

Think outside the box when it comes to sigils - not all magic has to be ancient. Thats one of the basics of what chaos magic teaches us; you can make gods out of modern day things and magical rituals out of anything you want.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

as does the McDonalds music,
That's a real thing?

"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Albion
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Albion »

I'm very much with Case on this.

I guess what I was suggesting in the original question was that the processes of sigil and logo creation, and their effects, are not dissimilar!

Albion

Ekatl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ekatl »

Rin wrote:
as does the McDonalds music,
That's a real thing?
I think they're referring to the jingle that goes with the ads. If they had McDonalds soundtracks, I'd just have to laugh.

This all kind of reminds me of an art panel I went to, which at one point, describes how certain symbols would give certain people certain emotions, depending on their knowledge and experience, how they had their own power. There's an intent specified; to get people to remember the company. They then make this possible with advertisement and actually having stores. Then, they link intent to their logo, slogan, jingle, etc. It's very similar to a sigil.

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

The energies that I think of when I see the McDonald's Logo is "primal urge" taste consciousness that is separated from physical hunger. If it was legal, the same logo would do a great job advertising a whorehouse. These energies emminate from the same place.

Vashta
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vashta »

I suppose this kinda ties in with the whole "corporate entities as egregore" thing. On the one hand, I can see ΙΟΛΗ7's point that the process of logo creation is separate from any concept of spirituality, but I do think it bears some striking similarities to the creation of a sigil; Meditation on the purpose of the symbol, the entities (corporate or spiritual) involved, the images etc that the symbol evokes.

The processes of considering the symbols within the symbols within the symbols is the same between; I think in many ways the means are strikingly similar, but the ends are somewhat different, unless you consider corporate egregores as the gods of generation X++

I'd say yes, a logo is a sigil, and corporations are egregore-riddled :P

Albion
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Albion »

Hi

Vashta: "The processes of considering the symbols within the symbols within the symbols is the same between; I think in many ways the means are strikingly similar, but the ends are somewhat different, unless you consider corporate egregores as the gods of generation X++"

This is what I anticipated my question might tease out...

How else is it that masses of people are blindly eating themselves to obesity etc? The couch potato egregore is more powerful than the ....er...I can't think of an appropriate counter image off the top of my head ... hmm... maybe that's the problem..?

Albion

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I'd say yes, a logo is a sigil, and corporations are egregore-riddled :P
Reminds me of a topic from a while back,lol.

I 'll dig it up...

http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewto ... es#p437924

I ran with the idea in that topic and it went as I said and then some more,lol.I ended up leaving due to my son's ill health and his recovery period being extensive.But we parted on good terms,that beast and I and I did train up my replacement too,lol.

Wow,was I ever talkative back then and a little up myself too,lol,I think.I blame being an INTJ,we're very conscientious. [eek]

reptilian
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by reptilian »

I vote "yes" on logos being sigils. And I tentatively vote "yes" on corporations becoming egregores.

Albion
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Albion »

Okay, so if there is an egregore for McD and one for KFC and etc - all sucking in people to eat all that crap - is there a respective healthy living egregore?

(We won't mention Jamie Oliver...)

Is there a "classic" god that fills the bil?

Albion

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Albion wrote:Okay, so if there is an egregore for McD and one for KFC and etc - all sucking in people to eat all that crap - is there a respective healthy living egregore?

(We won't mention Jamie Oliver...)

Is there a "classic" god that fills the bil?

Albion
There are tons of healthy living egregores - look at all the gyms, all the weight loss programs, all the diets you can buy into - every single one of them is conceivably a healthy living egregore within reason. As for classic gods, any of the Greek pantheon who epitomise health and success, such as Nike and Apollo, could be used easily as focal points.

reptilian
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by reptilian »

I would also suggest Apollo, Nike, and mention Hermes on the athletic side, and Hestia on the healthy eating side.

ΙΟΛΗ7
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by ΙΟΛΗ7 »

I just love it when you refer to Greek Gods.I feel so proud. [happyface]

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

ΙΟΛΗ7 wrote:I just love it when you refer to Greek Gods.I feel so proud. [happyface]
The Greek gods are perfect for a paradigm dedicated to perfection and health. As a culture, I cant think of any other that epitomised physical perfection better throughout history than the Greeks.

ΙΟΛΗ7
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by ΙΟΛΗ7 »

Thank you...it feels nice that ancient Greek Gods are still remembered...i know that who ever chooses to work with them will have a superrior blessing and real strong results...if i had to persuade someone,firsty i would let them hear the orphic hymns of all Greek Gods...i guess that says it all !!!!!!!!! [thumbup]

ALIEN
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ALIEN »

dodaive wrote:the same logo would do a great job advertising a whorehouse.
On a similar note, simply an outline of a leg pointed upright with an arrow (to the place), would instantly instill a strong energy. In it's simplicity, there is a whole world in that simple symbol. Amazingly, it's not explicit either but everyone would instantly know what it's about....not a clothes shop [happy2]
"Some say he was is holy man, others say he is a shithead"

ALIEN
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ALIEN »

There is an immense psychological power in symbols, that's for sure!
"Some say he was is holy man, others say he is a shithead"

Return to “Chaos Magick”