Tried a New Way (to me) of Firing Off a Sigil...

AbraxianChaos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Tried a New Way (to me) of Firing Off a Sigil...

Post by AbraxianChaos »

Below is a journal post from last week. I have been working on my Liber MMM training a lot as part of my initiation into the IOT. The daily/nightly practice has driven me to try new things... this was one of those things. Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, etc., are very much welcome!

"I’m alone in the house tonight… so… though I didn’t plan it… I’m writing about something a little out of the ordinary in the scope of these initial motionlessness exercises... It’s not too often that I have this much time alone with no one in the house… and with absolutely no distractions whatsoever.

I had sort of planned a simple session of 20-25 minutes motionlessness, but before I actually got around to doing it… I decided instead to vaporize more weed than I would normally smoke by myself. As the psychoactive component of the marijuana started to hit me, I thought it would be funny (maybe) to do my exercise to Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon.” And then I thought that since that album and pot/grass/weed/green/bud/marijuana were so inexorably linked in time and space… there might be a certain power to be harnessed there. So… I put it on the music and closed my eyes.

I did a simple in and out breathing pattern… but deep breaths. As the first track really kicked in, I could fill my body swelling with energy with each and every time I inhaled. When I would exhale the energy would collect behind my eyes. I felt apart. I envisioned myself floating in a blue ball of light; protection. Because just about the time I envisioned the protective ball, I felt the presence of something. I didn’t necessarily feel threatened… but it was an unfamiliar feeling. Better safe than sorry? I felt the presence throughout, but it seemed to swell up… and then fade away.

I never felt connected to the reality in which my body was actually a part of. I floated there… enveloped by the sounds… and the environment it created around me. I didn’t go far… I only felt it out.

“And the sun is eclipsed by the moon…”

With that I opened my eyes and focused intently on the sigil I had placed before me. I used all of the energy I had gathered throughout the album and focused it into the sigil until it seemed to glow with power. With that... reality bounced back into place.

Perhaps I can capture the same sort of energy in the same fashion with a different choice of music. Perhaps Maggot Brain by Funkadelic, or maybe Coltrane’s Interstellar Space? There are countless options... obviously..."
"The hero is he who smashes idols... and the idol of every man is his ego." - Ibn Arabi

Micr0cosM
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Tried a New Way (to me) of Firing Off a Sigil...

Post by Micr0cosM »

In my experience, using drugs and music is an excellent way to get into a trance state and focus your mind on a magical act.

Also using the same music each time can very quickly get you into the same state as the previous times.

I wonder how the lyrics might effect the intent of the work however. I tend to use drum beats or music with no lyrics.

Cant beat that Floyd and Weed combo, though I have never used it to charge a sigil. Im real jealous now. ;)
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic

AbraxianChaos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by AbraxianChaos »

Micr0cosM wrote:In my experience, using drugs and music is an excellent way to get into a trance state and focus your mind on a magical act.

Also using the same music each time can very quickly get you into the same state as the previous times.

I wonder how the lyrics might effect the intent of the work however. I tend to use drum beats or music with no lyrics.

Cant beat that Floyd and Weed combo, though I have never used it to charge a sigil. Im real jealous now. ;)
I can only get into drums if I am playing them for some reason, though I appreciate their power. I use a lot of free jazz, particularly "Interstellar Space" by John Coltrane... and also a tribute to that record by Nels Cline, "Interstellar Space Revisited." It's brash and loud and all over the place. It tends to get in me a trance like state simply by overloading me and keeping me from being able to focus on one thing at time.
"The hero is he who smashes idols... and the idol of every man is his ego." - Ibn Arabi

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

The problem with drugs and music; is that it is hard to tell what is real and what is drugs/music. You tend to oscillate between realities and it absolutely opens up your brain to the idea that there is more than this mortal coil, but in the end it doesn't really get you much results.

I know some people who use drugs to communicate with spirits, but I can hardly communicate properly with humans when I'm high so I don't know how successful it would be to call up the spirit-world after a trip or two.

Things like the 'deathpose' and masturbation gives you good enough results when working on sigil magic, and makes it a hell of a lot easier to get out of bed the next day.

If you like drum music I really recommend using Steven Halpern or Michael Harner for a more traditional approach. But if you want some really good weed smoking jazz; John Klemmer is your guy.

Micr0cosM
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Micr0cosM »

Ohhh the Michael Harner stuff is exactly what I have been looking for. I found it difficult to find the simpler shamanic drum stuff on YouTube. So much of it seems to have spacey music over it or binaural beats, or it just isnt long enough to maintain a trance.

There was a guy on YouTube for a while called Ono Treve who did taditional shamanic drumming, but he dissapeared and I ended up using a sequencer to do mine. Actual drums sound so much better though.

Thanks for that.
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic

Return to “Chaos Magick”