Urban witchcraft tools.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Venefica

For urban witchcraft. Would it be advisable to create tools whit an urban feel. Using materials not used in traditional witchcraft like for example plastic? I was thinking of perhaps creating a want from a plastic pipe, and create a cup from a soda box and so on. Do anyone have any experience whit something like this?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: doh

No experience, per se. But I've cast circles without a wand at all, so who's to say plastic wouldn't work? *shrug*

The worst that can happen, unless you are attempting to summon, evoke or invoke something nasty, is that the answer will be "No".

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Yes you are right about that. I have just been looking at a few urban witchcraft books and wanted a tool set to match.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: 4symbols

Plastic as material dont good. Physical properties of this material do not suit for the magically charged objects. you can use plastic object only as symbolic object.
Real magical staves have changes in the physical structure of material

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: doh

Yeah, that's true. Synthetics, I've found, don't hold an "energy charge" well. But you could still use them for they symbology. After all, what else are they really when you are casting if not symbols of something else? Just a thought.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

I divide magic on objective and subjective parts. Subjective part use symbolical similarity as "catch" for a psyche of caster. Another mechanisms work in objective part and principle of similarity and sympathy dont work as good as in subjective part

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Plastic as material dont good. Physical properties of this material do not suit for the magically charged objects. you can use plastic object only as symbolic object.
Real magical staves have changes in the physical structure of material
And yet if one is looking at it from a purely Urban perspective. Urban witchcraft often are not trying to get back to nature, and are in fact often communicating whit new Gods, Gods of all the things we find in modern, urban environments, including plastic. Surly there are new Gods now. Gods for cars, computers, plastic, junk food, malls and all the other thing one find in the city.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Concept too shady. And irrespective existences or non-existances new Gods plastic dont change physical properties

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: Turkituck

From a purely physical point of view, plastic is a terrible conductor of electricity, aside from static in dry climates. As a conductor of energy, I'd be willing to bet it's just as lousy as with electrical energies.

For urbanizing witchcraft tools, why not go with a metal rod? Sometimes you can find rusted tie-rods in parking lots that have a lot of damaged concrete speed bumps and ... ugh, the words are escaping me, but hopefully you get what I mean. Vacant lots where buildings have been torn down are good sources of treasure trash, and you can't ask for better materials that are already infused with the energy of an urban area.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: Rokkyu

Historically most gods start out as place spirits. As several local areas come under the control of one group the place model breaks down and gods beging to be associate with forces and concepts. And the local spirits that may hver had an affinity for these things get lumped under the same name. The Romans often "romanized" pagan gods assigning thor to zues for example.

Any way the point i'm heading toward is that you would really have to ask you urban spirits what they have affinity for. I find it hard to believe that a spirit in a citiy of stone wood and steel would have the strongest affinity to plastic.

What matterial is connected to whatever force you are working with. I suspect that like humans while spirits may live in different places now they havn't fundamentaly changed all that much.

Just may take.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Concept too shady. And irrespective existences or non-existances new Gods plastic dont change physical properties
Why would the new Gods be non-existent? And if one pray to a God of plastic why not use plastic tools?
From a purely physical point of view, plastic is a terrible conductor of electricity, aside from static in dry climates. As a conductor of energy, I'd be willing to bet it's just as lousy as with electrical energies.
Wood ain't to good an electrical conduit either. And yet many tools are constructed from it.

The metal rod thing might be nice, such a pice of scrap metal might work nicely. :D Thank you for the idea.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: Turkituck

Well, yes, wood is a bad conductor, but it came from a living tree, which had it's own energies flowing before being cut down or what-have-you. Plastics are usually made from recycled waste products or as a by-product from gasoline and petrol. Metal at least hold some of the vibrations of the ores it was crafted from.

But hey, if you really want to try plastic, I say go for it :) It can't hurt to test it out.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

I am just trying to find some interesting urban alternatives for a set of magick tools attuned to urban witchcraft and more focused on that than on nature. Thank you all for your advice.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Why would the new Gods be non-existent?
Why would the new Gods be existent? ;)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Because there are pepole that believe in them. And what are Gods if not aspects of reality human worshipers personify as Gods. So when new things pop up, new Gods to personify them do to.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

its only one side of monet

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

I do not understand what you mean whit that. If that is some saying then I am unfamiliar whit it.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: endor957

my question here is why would an openmindedness to try something different would work in ChM and not Witchcraft? Tradition that is backed by belief. The word "urban" to me suggests a non-traditonal approach to witchery so go for it and see what happens.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

I am going to go for it. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas for good materials to make tools from. I believe it will work. I am open minded and believe we create our own reality, including in witchcraft. That do not mean however I do not like a little advice and help now and then.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: Emily

Interesting thread. It reminds me of the book, "Urban Primitive."

I think witchcraft is infinitely adaptable to whatever environment you live in. If you live in the country, you have access to all sort of twigs and branches to make into staves and wands. If you live in the city, you can use discarded antennas, drinking straws, a mascara wand, or anything else you have on hand. The sky's the limit.

I think it would be very interesting to come up with a system of urban witchcraft. You could challenge yourself not to buy any tools, to "live off the land" and go dumpster diving for treasures. You could use a discarded bottle as in incense burner, or use a styrofoam cup for scrying. You could even come up with a system of magical correspondences for the weeds that grow in ditches, along roadways, or in the cracks of a sidewalk. The city is just as vital and alive as the countryside. I think too many people forget that.

Have fun, Venefica. :)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: runewynd

Truthfully? There's nothing wrong with plastic tools; I have a student who uses only plastic in her rituals.

The thing is, it's not that a thing isn't useful, it's just that sometimes it's not useful for a particular purpose. Stone isn't the same as plastic, and neither is wood the sam, and neither are rose petals or graveyard dirt.

Everything has a use. Everything is natural; there are no 'unnatural' things. Even your television can be used for magical work, if you know how.

Christopher Penczak wrote a book entitled "City Magick," which I heartily recommend in addition to "Urban Primitive," by Raven Kaldera. These books should help any urban shamans or witches find a new harmony with plastic and other urban tools.

After all, 1000 years from now, plastic will still be here. And, even if the world is different and more primitive then, plastic will still be a part of it, possibly even being held as a sacred relic from an age gone past.

Our past was someone's present, and our common appliance is someone else's sorcery. Mileage may vary, in all things.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Original post: bgruagach

Patricia Telesco's "Urban Pagan" is another book that might be of interest to those who wish to focus on linking a magickal or Pagan spiritual path with city living.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

I have ordered Urban Primitive of Amazon. I completely agree that different materials are not the same nor have the same Energy or quality to them. That is why I want a set of urban material tools, I already have a good collection of traditional tools, but I am thinking a city based magick system will do best whit city based tools.

MarthaMuffin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Post by MarthaMuffin »

Hello , I know this is an old post but i thought you might like to know that we are bringing Raven Kaldera to the UK for a series of talks and a weekend workshop if you are interested you can see more here http://thebaphhouse.com/2010/12/mapping-the-underworld/ . Thanks x

Tytus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Urban witchcraft tools.

Post by Tytus »

back to the topic of plastic gods: Why don't we start looking at what is associated with plastic and in that see the "nature" of plastic in magick. For example, Plastic is made from fire, we could then associate fire with plastic, fire is also associated with the traditional wand. So if one was to use plastic as a material for a wand, the elemental association for the plastic material is then identical to the magickal symbology of the wand. This is ofcourse only theory, but if yr intent works wonderfully with this "fronteir" system, i see no reason why you can't use plastic for yr wand. I personally don't resonate with the idea, but thats me.

Return to “Witchcraft”