How to do sigil magick properly

barnacle
Forum Member
Forum Member

How to do sigil magick properly

Post by barnacle »

I tried making a sigil for something which I've needed for years now (the ability to alter my state without relying on drugs, using my mind alone) but it didn't work. I don't think I made the sigil right at all though, I used about 30 words and it just ended up looking like some jumbled mess like something a toddler would draw. I'm going to do it with something simpler instead. I need energy. I have this perpetual drowsiness which I need to overcome. I don't think its chronic fatigue syndrome, its nothing that severe but its severe enough that it completely interferes with every aspect of my life. I'm trying all kinds of things (hypnosis, exercise, altering my diet, taking supplements etc.) at the moment so now I'm gonna try various occult things. How would I make a sigil for gaining more energy? Would I literally write "gain more energy" on a piece of paper, then remove the vowels and repeating letters then rearrange and alter the letters so I end up with a mystical looking symbol? Then what do I do with this piece of paper? Should I burn it (i.e. to send its energy out into the universe), should I stash it away somewhere, should i eat it etc.? Eating it seems like the way to go since its inside myself that I need to get this energy. Also, at the very least, that might be a good way to convince my subconscious that a change has occured. However, I'd have to completely destroy the symbol by chewing it up because if I swallow the paper whole, that will probably give me digestive problems. I dunno if that defeats the purpose of making the sigil in the first place or what.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: How to do sigil magick properly

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Firstly, please don't write in big blocks of text with no paragraphs as its really annoying to read.

Secondly, all this is covered in detail in the book 'Liber Null and Psychonaut' by Peter Carroll. Get your hands on a copy as its a great resource for beginners and experts alike.

Thirdly, if you look around you'll find many posts on sigils, plus how to fire them and get them active. Its pretty simple, but it sounds like you're struggling mostly with your 'Statement of Intent' (SOI). As for eating it, its up to you - you basically have to destroy the sigil when its fired so you can forget about it and therefore let it do its work. If you prefer eating it rather than burning it, then that choice is up to you.

barnacle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by barnacle »

I'll give that book a read, thanks. I didn't know you have to forget about the sigil afterwards. I noticed that in life, when theres something I constantly ask God for and deeply need, I don't get it and eventually just stop tying and forget about it. At some point down the line, I realise that I've got what I'd been trying to get in the past. Its as if ones intention prevents the change from manifesting. This can be observed clearly in lucid dreams. I was in an LD one night and I was trying to make a spoon appear in my hand. It wasn't working so I just gave up and started doing something else. About a minute later I realised there was a spoon in my hand lol.

66dragonfly66
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by 66dragonfly66 »

hey barnacle

sigilizing something complex like that can work but how its gonna manifest in your life is going to be complex.
also, it depends on how you let it show up. it is true that this is covered in liber kaos and liber null but those are by no means the final authority, just an idea.
there are other ways to sigilize and interact with symbols
i think alot of symbols gain power through their meaning to us, but also, how we allow them to take meaning in our subconscious mind.

the best way to get energy is not sigilizing get energy unless you build a seperate entity to give you energy. you might as well try conjuring your fetch, gaurdian or higher self. but visualizing energy moving through you body and visualizing a point of energy and absorbing it are as effective if not more as a purely occult practice

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Also, on a more mundane level, look into Sleep Apnea. I was getting the same feelings of constant drowsiness, then I found I had sleep apnea and I was actually waking up briefly every five minutes or so and going back to sleep again. Result was I was always tired, but it was easily fixed.

Just a thought...

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

Its foolish to be dabbling in things you've done zero research on. If you've never even glanced through Liber Null, Practical Sigil Magic etc. is like trying to rewire an electrical circuit with no prior knowledge as to what all the parts do or how to properly protect yourself.

As for your first sigil, how do you know it didn't work? You could be in a tripped out delusional mind state right now imagining all of this happening ;) be careful what you wish for
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

reptilian
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by reptilian »

In my experience, chaos magic requires absolutely no research beyond understanding general theories of what magic is and how it works. It can have backlashes and unintended consequences, but those aren't likely to be prevented by being well read so much as having a very clear and specific goal in mind, thus avoiding that whole "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

yyxx
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by yyxx »

Have a look at your general belief system. What do you believe about yourself? What do you believe you deserve? Maybe this lack of energy is simply a lack of belief or its a parasitic belief (eg "I am worthless, stupid, powerless etc.)

I have found a huge amount of power simply through positive affirmation (as cheesy and fluffy as that may sound).

I AM THE LIZARD KING. I CAN DO ANYTHING.
Pull your fucking head out of the clouds and remember why you are here

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

reptilian wrote:In my experience, chaos magic requires absolutely no research beyond understanding general theories of what magic is and how it works
Which he doesn't.
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

Rauðolfr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rauðolfr »

first of all relax. there is no Proper way
there's what works for you, and what doesn't.

It sounds to me like your problem is desire or wishes. you have to not wish for something as wishes imply the not having of something. you should look into E-prime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime
try to think like this in relation to your intent, but avoid all temporal related words also such as
  • has; have; having; had (I've; you've)
    do; does; doing; did
    can; could
    will; would (they'd)
    shall; should
    ought
    may; might; must
    equal

the book Liber Null and Psychonaught is quite good, but you don't need to buy it to do chaos magic. simply try something, if it works do it again, if it doesn't, change it and try again. The biggest power i've found in relation to the occult is the confidence to know that what is proper is the way that i like to do it and the way it works best for me.

manofsands
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by manofsands »

Couple comments...

...on the forgetting about the Sigil. I believe a lot of that is just about... if you sigil something you want, and dont forget its meaning... then you are still "wanting" and not "having", ya see? I personally use sigils differently,... as a reminder. If you rephrase your intent as something you already have rather than something you want, the reminder strengthens it. You could simplify the intent just as "energize".

Dont stick with just sigils. 2 other suggestions... visualization of energizing your chakras. You know,.. relax, close your eyes,... focus on your breathing, and with your breaths bring in energy,... thru your crown chakra, causing it to swell each time,.. after a couple breaths, bring it down to the next chakra and so on...

More directly, and what I would recommend first-most.... streeeeeeetch! Start with your head/neck... roll it around till it feels loose, then move to your wrists, elbows, arms, waist... etc. Our energy system can easily get blocked up, stretching helps unblock and gets the energy flowing...

.... also... eat more greens ;)
YOU ARE
where your
ATTENTION IS

there is no need to push the river... it will flow on its own

Jack-o-diamonds
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jack-o-diamonds »

Muloc7253 wrote:Its foolish to be dabbling in things you've done zero research on. If you've never even glanced through Liber Null, Practical Sigil Magic etc. is like trying to rewire an electrical circuit with no prior knowledge as to what all the parts do or how to properly protect yourself.

As for your first sigil, how do you know it didn't work? You could be in a tripped out delusional mind state right now imagining all of this happening ;) be careful what you wish for
i'd have to disagree, i think you're perfectly fine doing little sigils with no research. worst that could happen? it doesn't work cuz you're keeping it in your conscious mind. now, if you believe that something bad could come of it, then something might. but really... coming from experience... the only 'proper protection' you need is to realize that you don't neeeeed an outcome (even if you DO need an outcome). not caring is the best protection and an almost sure-fire way to get the sigil to work immediately.
"oh, thou clear spirit, of thy fire thou madest me, and like a true child of fire, i breathe it back to thee."

Moth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Moth »

I agree that "without lust of result" is one of the most important things to purge the process from your conscious mind. It's like the old joke that your hiccups will be cured if you can run round the house three times without thinking of the word "wolf".
"The world is made of many pages
And every page contains a world
We flicker through them in the daytime
But in the night become unfurled."

Chaos Creator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Chaos Creator »

[mad] [mad]

[mad] THerE iS [yay] HAIL DISCORDA! [mad]
nO sUUUUch tHiNg as
propppppppppppppper
in chaos

Jack-o-diamonds
Forum Member
Forum Member

Chaos Creator wrote:[mad] [mad]

nO sUUUUch tHiNg as
propppppppppppppper
in chaos

there is if you choose to think there is, so even though in a way you are right, you are also dead wrong.
"oh, thou clear spirit, of thy fire thou madest me, and like a true child of fire, i breathe it back to thee."

Chaos Creator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Chaos Creator »

Jack-o-diamonds wrote:

nO sUUUUch tHiNg as
propppppppppppppper
in chaos

there is if you choose to think there is, so even though in a way you are right, you are also dead wrong.
Thats the point. Do as thou wilts is the whole of the law

Jack-o-diamonds
Forum Member
Forum Member

Chaos Creator wrote:
Jack-o-diamonds wrote:

nO sUUUUch tHiNg as
propppppppppppppper
in chaos

Thats the point. Do as thou wilts is the whole of the law
i agree to what you say, but there's two things wrong with it: 1. you are not taking into account that new chaotes need more of an answer than just "do what you want", and 2: the chaos argument of structured vs. unstructured and organized vs. unorganized when it comes to what other people are either doing or want to do is never productive.

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

One thing that was touched on by another user was that magick needs a means of manifestation to work (for me, in my world, at least). A spell to transform into a dog won't work - humans don't transform into dogs. There needs to be a means of manifestation and on that note, one thing that I've realised is so important is how soon you make the sigil, how much time you give it to manifest. If for instance, you want to go on holiday in 2014, so you make a sigil that you'll have £5000 saved up by then, you'll likely get it regardless of the odds. If however you needed £5000 in 2 weeks time, the universe will certainly offer up a way of getting it - it will just involve more work and compromise from your end, might involve a sacrifice not worth making, but the opportunity for the money would be there. However, give it a year to manifest and even from a skeptical non-magickal view every day you'll be making subtle changes that lead you to the result and will smoothly run into what it is you need. You give the Universe plenty of chance and time to introduce the "result" into your world with as little bother to yourself as possible. More time given the better.

If you take that into consideration with this experiment, then give it time, don't ask for instant results, and over time you'll learn of a technique that works for you to change your state of consciousness - you might learn about yoga or meditation, or have a cosmic conscious experience, get into astral projection - who knows? You won't just suddenly have the ability overnight - thats not how magick works. No matter what your desire is, as long as there is a means of manifestation, it'll weave its way into your life in as "normal" a way as possible - when the result reaches you, it might not seem like it came to you in a magickal way but in the real world magickal things don't appear from thin air, they're thread into your life in a very casual way, without leaving any trace behind that magick was involved at all.

At least, for me.

Return to “Chaos Magick”