Heard of this remedy? Involves a spider

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Heard of this remedy? Involves a spider

Post by Occultess »

I'm curious if anyone else has heard of this remedy.

I remember one day in high school, the teacher was out of the room and some of the kids were talking. One of them was saying that he had this relative that was a Satanist and, as a means to.....I think it was to stop a nose bleed, but it could have been something like alleviating a headache. Anyway, the remedy was to let a black widow spider crawl up your nose and bite you. I'm assuming they had been talking about nose bleeds or headaches or whatever, because I know it was mentioned in conjunction with what they were talking about. It's just been a while and I'm not quite remembering.

Guess it doesn't necessarily have to be a Satanist's remedy, either. Could be.
Link Removed by Admin - No links in Signature

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Heard of this remedy? Involves a spider

Post by Nahemah »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... elief.html

As the link indicates,there is research being done involving venoms and potential pain relief treatments.

Hmm.This still seems very dangerous to me.

Perhaps if it was a male Black Widow,this might be less dangerous as their venom is around 3 times less potent than the female,but I still think it's rather extreme and strange and I suspect that introducing a strong neurotoxin to the upper nose cavity like this might prove fatal.
I don't know enough about Black Wdow venom,to be sure,though and thankfully ,I don't have to worry much about venomous spiders as I live in the cold North.

I am curious though and I wonder if anyone else has heard of this too?

I'm moving this into Witchcraft,because it reads as sympathetic magick, much more than as particularly Satanist. [thumbup]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Nope.
You really, really want to go to the hospital asap if you get bitten by a Black Widow.

This is a really bad idea all around.
And yet, I find myself chuckling uncontrollably at the mental image it conjures.

I say for a nosebleed you'd be way better off taking the Chaos Magic approach, and just go ahead and cauterize your nostril with a hot glue gun. [eek]

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Nahemah wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... elief.html

As the link indicates,there is research being done involving venoms and potential pain relief treatments.

Perhaps if it was a male Black Widow,this might be less dangerous as their venom is around 3 times less potent than the female,but I still think it's rather extreme and strange and I suspect that introducing a strong neurotoxin to the upper nose cavity like this might prove fatal.
I don't know enough about Black Wdow venom,to be sure,though and thankfully ,I don't have to worry much about venomous spiders as I live in the cold North.

I'm moving this into Witchcraft,because it reads as sympathetic magick, much more than as particularly Satanist. [thumbup]
Ah..well, it looks like it must have been a headache, then. Considering the pain relief thing. And that is has some basis in....ummm...well something that would work. I don't know what happened to my memory about that. I remembered what it was for for years after high school, then all of a sudden....can't remember.

He never mentioned if it was a female or male Black Widow, so I have no idea about that. Although, I've heard conflicting things about Black Widow bites. I've heard that if you get bitten, there's a good chance you'll die, but I've also heard that you won't die from a Black Widow bite unless you're allergic. Don't know which one's true.

What I'm curious about is how you make sure the spider doesn't just keep crawling up your nose. On the upside, though, I suppose if it did you could swallow a bird to catch the spider that jiggled and wriggled and tickled inside 'er [tongue2]

Jack-o-diamonds
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jack-o-diamonds »

Occultess wrote:
Nahemah wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... elief.html

Ah..well, it looks like it must have been a headache, then. Considering the pain relief thing. And that is has some basis in....ummm...well something that would work. I don't know what happened to my memory about that. I remembered what it was for for years after high school, then all of a sudden....can't remember.

He never mentioned if it was a female or male Black Widow, so I have no idea about that. Although, I've heard conflicting things about Black Widow bites. I've heard that if you get bitten, there's a good chance you'll die, but I've also heard that you won't die from a Black Widow bite unless you're allergic. Don't know which one's true.

What I'm curious about is how you make sure the spider doesn't just keep crawling up your nose. On the upside, though, I suppose if it did you could swallow a bird to catch the spider that jiggled and wriggled and tickled inside 'er [tongue2]
haha well i could tell you that the spider would probably bite your finger about 6 times before you even made it to your nose, and if you're talking dangling it by the web and aiming for your nostril... you'd just have a mildly flustered spider on your face. as much as spiders luuuuuv small crevices, they are super careful where they crawl into. black widows are a fairly large type of spider, but even if it could fit into a nostril, they would get soooo annoyed with the hairs that they wouldn't go inside in the first place. the only way i could see a spider of that size trying to fit into a nostril is if there was a major threat herding them in there.

also, allergies do play a large part when it comes to spider bites, but i think that myth you mentioned (the one where either you die or you're only affected if you're allergic) stems from the fact that black widows are very well known to give what is called "dry bites".

dry bites are when a spider doesn't think you're enough of a threat to waste a whole load of venom on, so they just bite you without releasing any. not all spiders do this, but black widows are very well known to. the reason for it is also to conserve that venom in case you do decide to become a threat.

well, to sum it up, having a black widow bite you up your nose isn't very possible anyway :>

-jack
"oh, thou clear spirit, of thy fire thou madest me, and like a true child of fire, i breathe it back to thee."

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Never heard of dry bites before. That's cool.

What if it was a baby Black Widow? I'm not really sure how small they are when they are young, but...are they small enough then to get into your nose then? General lack of desire for one to go into a nostril notwithstanding?

Hmmm....maybe when that kid said, "crawl up his nose" he meant, crawl up the outside of his nose and I just didn't take it that way... [zomg]

Jack-o-diamonds
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jack-o-diamonds »

Occultess wrote:Never heard of dry bites before. That's cool.

What if it was a baby Black Widow? I'm not really sure how small they are when they are young, but...are they small enough then to get into your nose then? General lack of desire for one to go into a nostril notwithstanding?

Hmmm....maybe when that kid said, "crawl up his nose" he meant, crawl up the outside of his nose and I just didn't take it that way... [zomg]

ooooooooh a baby one makes much more sense! yeah and they bite like crazy. they'll bite you for lookin' at them the wrong way. but as you said before... i don't think there'd be a way to get them back out...
"oh, thou clear spirit, of thy fire thou madest me, and like a true child of fire, i breathe it back to thee."

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occultess »

Jack-o-diamonds wrote:
Occultess wrote:Never heard of dry bites before. That's cool.

ooooooooh a baby one makes much more sense! yeah and they bite like crazy. they'll bite you for lookin' at them the wrong way. but as you said before... i don't think there'd be a way to get them back out...
Yeah, that'd be a whole new, worse problem.....and a really weird trip to the emergency room.

Return to “Witchcraft”