Bug totems

Commander_Chaos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Bug totems

Post by Commander_Chaos »

Should definitely not be underestimated or overlooked. I've worked with moth and spider for years and am now working with ant. So far it's been pretty awesome.

Jack-o-diamonds
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Bug totems

Post by Jack-o-diamonds »

yes! i TOTALLY agree! i've worked with spider for years and i have always felt that insect totems were too overlooked. glad someone else feels the same!
"oh, thou clear spirit, of thy fire thou madest me, and like a true child of fire, i breathe it back to thee."

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Heh.I like bugs.

I have an affinity with Bees,but this was hard won.

We have several house spiders,they're good to have around they keep flies and other irks down and I don't mind a little web in the ceiling corners either,as it kinda lends atmoshpere.

I particularly like wolf spiders,cool markings and all the eggs,on mams back...Ilike how they roll.

I rescued a leaf cutter recently [last Summer,actually].They're the awesome,iridescant. [greensmile]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

reptilian
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by reptilian »

Butterfly and scorpion have been friends for a while. =]

I also admire and rescue live insects when they need help.

Atehequa
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Atehequa »

Commander_Chaos wrote:Should definitely not be underestimated or overlooked. I've worked with moth and spider for years and am now working with ant. So far it's been pretty awesome.
Greetings Commander_Chaos

Much appreciation as all I read about on many sites is a lot of people claiming to have the standard wolf, buffalo, eagle, jaguar and eagle as their totem animals. Something as small as a gnat can be quite powerful.

Actually the term ‘totem’ was derived from the Algonquian word Ototema or sometimes Nto’tem, or Odoodem which means kin or sibling. In many Algonquian dialects it refers to a particular animal or supernatural being/creature associated with a tribe, clan, or band. This Ototema is often thought as a creator spirit, tribal originator or an ancestor. Most often an ally and protector.

These Algonquian Ototemas go far back to the tribe’s, clan’s or band’s origins. Totems cannot be chosen randomly or by an individual’s affection or admiration of a particular animal. Information regarding Ototemas is much less guarded than personal spirit helpers and guardian spirits and are often displayed in symbolic art.

The term Totemism is used by ethnographers and anthropologists to describe similar beliefs shared by primitive tribes all over the world.

There’s nothing really preventing people from choosing what they believe to be totem and spirit animals, but there are some who do so in ignorance of the tribal cultures associated with such.
"We know the predator, we see them feed on us, we are aware to starve the beast is our destiny"

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

I agree, no totem should be underestimated.

Return to “Shamanism”