Researching the occult, risks?

For difficult to define queries.

tepes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Researching the occult, risks?

Post by tepes »

Ok so i have always had a fascination for the paranormal, unexplainable stuff, especially the dark forces, the evil side of occultism and evil in general, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad person. I just find things that may be considered taboo for most people interesting. I would never mess around with spells and magick, rituals and other things that could have a potential bad impact on me. It's not my thing.

So lately I've been getting more interested into researching satanism so i figured I'd read the satanic bible by Lavey (I'm on page 100 so far). For educational purposes only! I'm interested in their philosophy (and the differences between the many types of Satanic philosophies) and how they perceive this world, why they believe in satanism and for what purposes. So yeah i told my mother that i was reading the satanic bible and she actually got pissed at me. My mother is very experienced in spirituality and shamanism and she believes that if you open yourself up to this sort of stuff you make yourself available or more vulnerable and are more likely to attract bad energies, demons and all kinds of bad shit. Yeah I've heard about this before but i mean... What?? Shouldn't I be allowed to research a subject i find interesting without having to worry about getting attacked by a demon or something, maybe that was a excessive example but you know what i mean, bad spirits and negative stuff.

So my question follows, is there any risks that comes with researching dark and bad things? Should i be careful?

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Researching the occult, risks?

Post by Frumens »

Ah, memories. I recommend that you read this thread.

Etar began his occult studies with Enochian and he claims that it messed up his life for a while. If you believe his story (I do), then it can be dangerous for beginners to rush and work with potent advanced systems. Another danger is becoming obsessed with occultism and overcome by delusion. A third minor danger is sharing your studies with he wrong people and losing friends/straining relationships.

Beginning students of Qabalah are told the legend of the four rabbis who visited Paradise:

"Four men entered pardes — Ben Azzai, Ben Zoma, Acher (Elisha ben Abuyah), and Akiba. Ben Azzai looked and died; Ben Zoma looked and went mad; Acher destroyed the plants; Akiba entered in peace and departed in peace."
Last edited by Frumens on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Frater_NT

Post by Frater_NT »

A couple points, I had to chuckle when you said you were reading the Satanic Bible of "educational purposes only" :) While the philosophy of the Satanic Bible is a good, and the book is a MUST read, it's really not dark or evil at all. I mean, what's so bad about living life for today, having a good time, and not letting other people/society influence you? Nothing evil about the book in my opinion. Second point, if your mom got pissed about you reading the book, you should have informed her that according to the philosophy of the Satanic Bible you wouldn't ever be under the influence of demons or little nasties since the philosophy of the book is atheistic ;) Just saying, it would have been very helpful to both of you to point this out. Anyways, the book isn't dark. There are some systems out there that are very dark and beginners certainly shouldn't play around with them. Can studying up on these systems be dangerous? Yes and no. If you simply read about a system then you are tapping into the current far less than if you actually practice it. Let's say, for example, you start reading up on necromancy.You'll find everything from silly new agey shit to things said that are not said, the unspeakably vile parts of advanced necromancy. Now, just reading about this stuff may influence you somehow, but actually doing it (depending on how far you were willing to go) would certainly influence you FAR more. Sometimes those currents can really mess with people either because they can't handle it, they got into something they didn't expect it to really be, or the kind of energy can have certain emotional effects on people. There are all sorts of things that could happen. One thing that won't happen is you reading about satanism and then be attacked by all the hordes of hell [rolleyes] Can we please stop with all the "demons are gonna eat me" stuff already? [lol]

tepes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by tepes »

Frumens wrote:Ah, memories. I recommend that you read this thread.

Etar began his occult studies with Enochian and he claims that it messed up his life for a while. If you believe his story (I do), then it can be dangerous for beginners to rush and work with potent advanced systems. Another danger is becoming obsessed with occultism and overcome by delusion. A third minor danger is sharing your studies with he wrong people and losing friends/straining relationships.

Beginning students of Qabalah are told the legend of the four rabbis who visited Paradise:

"Four men entered pardes — Ben Azzai, Ben Zoma, Acher (Elisha ben Abuyah), and Akiba. Ben Azzai looked and died; Ben Zoma looked and went mad; Acher destroyed the plants; Akiba entered in peace and departed in peace."
Thanks for the reply i will definitely take a look at that. [happyface]
Frater_NT wrote:A couple points, I had to chuckle when you said you were reading the Satanic Bible of "educational purposes only" :) While the philosophy of the Satanic Bible is a good, and the book is a MUST read, it's really not dark or evil at all. I mean, what's so bad about living life for today, having a good time, and not letting other people/society influence you? Nothing evil about the book in my opinion. Second point, if your mom got pissed about you reading the book, you should have informed her that according to the philosophy of the Satanic Bible you wouldn't ever be under the influence of demons or little nasties since the philosophy of the book is atheistic ;) Just saying, it would have been very helpful to both of you to point this out. Anyways, the book isn't dark. There are some systems out there that are very dark and beginners certainly shouldn't play around with them. Can studying up on these systems be dangerous? Yes and no. If you simply read about a system then you are tapping into the current far less than if you actually practice it. Let's say, for example, you start reading up on necromancy.You'll find everything from silly new agey shit to things said that are not said, the unspeakably vile parts of advanced necromancy. Now, just reading about this stuff may influence you somehow, but actually doing it (depending on how far you were willing to go) would certainly influence you FAR more. Sometimes those currents can really mess with people either because they can't handle it, they got into something they didn't expect it to really be, or the kind of energy can have certain emotional effects on people. There are all sorts of things that could happen. One thing that won't happen is you reading about satanism and then be attacked by all the hordes of hell [rolleyes] Can we please stop with all the "demons are gonna eat me" stuff already? [lol]
Lol. "For educational purposes only", maybe not the best word choice but whatever (i'm a swede). Anyway, i have to agree, the satanic bible was not like i have imagined it would be (even though i haven't finished the whole book). It actually shocked me a little bit because most of the stuff he says actually makes sense. It makes a lot more sense than the bible does imo.

I watched an interview with Zeena Lavey And Nikolas Schreck about a year ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ8PFfm_wpc) and I didn't really understand when they explained (to the interviewer, Bob Larson....) that laveyan satanism isn't what people think satanism is, and what they meant about that. I've also been reading a lot about it on the Internet lately and I get it now. Wow, so misunderstood.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

A note to Frumens:
When you mention the 4 rabbis, the phrase associated with Acher "destroyed the plants" is explained as 'cutting roots;' in other words he became a heretic.

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

tepes wrote:So yeah i told my mother that i was reading the satanic bible and she actually got pissed at me. My mother is very experienced in spirituality and shamanism and she believes that if you open yourself up to this sort of stuff you make yourself available or more vulnerable and are more likely to attract bad energies, demons and all kinds of bad shit.
How could one possibly come to the conclusion that something is "evil" without having investigated it first? How can you understand the message of Satanism without "opening up" to it? If she can truly make this assessment that reading the Satanic Bible is dangerous she must have first read it herself, so therefore shes a hypocrite. Or, shes never read it and is judging it based on her own prejudice and other peoples opinions, which would make her willfully ignorant. So either way she's wrong. LaVey's Satanism isn't even negative - reading the Satanic Bible is certainly a less negative experience than reading the Christian Bible or the Quaran.
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

Tepes might find this broadcast interesting.

http://www.podbean.com/home/podcast-dir ... id=5394370

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

I don't think she's a hypocrite or willfully ignorant.

She's asking questions based on what she's been taught her whole life. She's doing research to find out for herself. She's asking for help and opinions outside of her homelife.

Based on what she's been taught she's asking if there is any harm that can come to her.

When you open yourself up to occult things - things notice that. They notice you. Imagine being the only candle in a dark room. It garners attention. Not everything out there is nice or helpful. The more you study and explore the brighter that light gets. It just is.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

I'm just going off what the OP said. He never said she was asking questions or doing her own research, quite the opposite, he said that she asserted researching these things was in and of itself dangerous. You said "shes asking" three times but the OP never said that, he said that his mother got "pissed off at him" for just reading the book, and asserted that this was a harmful activity. Remind me what questions she asked? I missed that part.

I didn't mean hypocrite in an insulting way, we're all hypocritical sometimes. But if you tell yourself "reading about this subject will cause me harm" then you're choosing ignorance as a safer option. And if you claim to know that Satanism is dangerous, you're either making it up or have come to that conclusion through reading the Satanic church's material - and if she has done this then she's hypocritical. If she hasn't, then she's claiming something she has no understanding of is dangerous - ignorance.
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

It never fails to amaze me how different people can take different things from a post.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”