need advice

seafarer
Forum Member
Forum Member

need advice

Post by seafarer »

I seem to be at an impasse. I have been using a shamanic drummin tract for journeying. I get an intense feeling between my eyebrows but I am not able to progress from there. When I try to enter another world I do not get anything. Do I need to let go or relax more? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: need advice

Post by Asurendra »

Hello Seafarer,

I have a couple of questions for you and some suggestions.

1) The core of Shamanism is building a connection with a totem animal (sometimes two) with whom you regularly work and who train you. Do you have a totem animal?

2) Shamanic Journeying is mental projection. So, within you there is a borderland between your personal consciousness and the transpersonal. This is where you go to begin. This is a place that you sink deep within yourself to find and it is a place that you build with your imagination. Imagination is the bridge. Once you have this place, you call your totem and meet him there, and from there you progress with him. This is why I asked about the totem and why I ask, do you have such a platform?

Thinking about the above questions will help steer things. You may also want to practice with binaural beats, particularly syncing your brain with theta waves. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats ) There are many on YouTube.

seafarer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by seafarer »

Thanks for the replay.

I do not have a totem animal yet. That is what I am working on. Do I need to travel to the lower kingdom to request one?

Will using too much imagination change the results I would have gotten?

Did not understand what you meant by platform.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asurendra »

Traditionally, it is an Underworld Journey to encounter your totem. One way to do this at the beginning is to visualize a place with which you are already familiar. Try and get as much detail as possible. Then, you create an opening and go down into it. Generally, there are tunnel systems but it is at this point that appearances will vary among different people. Bear in mind, this is not as if you and I went to the Golden Gate Bridge and stood there looking at it; personal projection comes more into play here even in perceiving the energetic constructs which may be 'out there' in 'that world.' You might remain in the tunnels or go to a place but you will see a variety of animals. These may appear in portrait view, as just a head or the full animal in any posture.

You do not choose your totem animal, the totem chooses you. So, how do you know? Traditionally, and I hold to this, the animal which you see four times or four different views of is you totem. When your totem is identified, talk to him! A point about the totems: they are not individuals. The totems are conscious emanations of the energy-field or life-force of a species. They will relate to different people differently, but, they are limited and they do not have names. So, I refer to my two primary totems as Fox and Hawk. (Having Fox & Hawk medicines say a lot about me.)

I would also recommend you research and find some visualization exercises that work for you and practice them regularly. This and meditation will help to build up your skill-set for Journeying. A study of self-hypnosis is also beneficial.

Your question if imagination will, basically put, 'taint' the vision goes to the very core of all occult practices. The metaphysics is profound! As I said, it is a bridge. The ceremonial magician Lon Milo Duquette has a saying: "it's all in your head, but, you have no idea how big your head is!" If the Universe is a hologram, as many physicists think, then you should remember that each point of a hologram contains within itself all the other points that exist on a larger scale. So in your mind an subconscious you are potentially connected to all things.

Return to “Shamanism”