Sami shamans "noaidi" and "ganding"

chris218
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sami shamans "noaidi" and "ganding"

Post by chris218 »

So i am from Norway and in a special part of Norway we have people called "samer" or guess its "sami" in English.

lately i have been studding about curses and "black magic" from Norway and i remember the sami shamans "noaidi" where known back in the days to practice something they called " gande or ganding"
which is their way of black magic or cursing people.

But their is absolutely NO information about this at all , and i was wondering if maby someone here knew something about it ?? [yay]
"By looking within the abyss of the self we can find the keys to Chaos !"

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Sami shamans "noaidi" and "ganding"

Post by Asurendra »

Hello Chris,

Unfortunately, there are no pre-Christian texts from Scandinavia and what is know about Norse beliefs and practices comes from works later in the Middle ages. Even later documents are the Church records of the activities of witches that may have some distorted and faint recollection of old arts but so far as I know these are all from south of your region. Perhaps there is something like this in Swedish or Norwegian. A finally way to try and find at least a fossil of the Old Ways might be through studies of rural folklore. An example of this in English is 'The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries' by Evans-Wentz. Since I have ancestral connections to this region I wish we knew more with certainty.

chris218
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chris218 »

Well we have the sami people that still lives here and even theire shamans but the problem is that they refuse to tell you anything about the darker parts of their mythology like "ganding"

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganding

This?

I am a Seidwoman and Spaewife,so maybe I can help?

I use my voice to paint pictures or open doors,in the Astral [and other spaces] and I believe this is perhaps linked with what you want to know about?
We work with trance,dance and our voices and we 'seethe' as our bodies are the cauldron and sometimes also the drum.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

chris218
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chris218 »

Nahemah wrote:http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganding

This?

I am a Seidwoman and Spaewife,so maybe I can help?

I use my voice to paint pictures or open doors,in the Astral [and other spaces] and I believe this is perhaps linked with what you want to know about?
We work with trance,dance and our voices and we 'seethe' as our bodies are the cauldron and sometimes also the drum.
Well i guess the word comes from the nordic traditon of seid's but its not that aspect am looking for. Here in norway the "sami" people has a black aspect of their shaman culture which we also call "GANDING"....it is theit way of cursing people... the curse would often be carried to the victim in the form as a fly.... but it is almost nothing on this subject to be found and the sami people refuse to aknowledge this darker aspect of theire shaman tradition because of theire past ...

BUT sinse your in on the subject i would also like if you could tell me some more about your tradition . Maby you know anny web sites , ebooks or regular books i could check out regarding the stuff you mentioned in your previous post :)

-CHRIS

Return to “Shamanism”