good sites, recourses and pdf documentation VOODOO/HOODOO

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

xxtraminimal
Forum Member
Forum Member

good sites, recourses and pdf documentation VOODOO/HOODOO

Post by xxtraminimal »

textually this intrest me very much but i don't know of it is a real occult thing if i don't mistaken it then voodoo is like a occult religion.
spreak over arabia, azia, africa and south america ?
and also is there a different between occult and occult religion of is it the same (lame question maybe)

but i can not find resources, book stores in belgium don't have any books it's been seen as illegal.
maybe i need to wend to another wiccan/occult store to get some information.

of just buy online, which i already have been searched for. but not with any referents.

Thanks

Nepthys
Forum Member
Forum Member
Location: Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Re: good sites, recourses and pdf documentation VOODOO/HOODO

Post by Nepthys »

Voodoo is a religion. It has its origins in the Yoruba traditional religion of West Africa, brought to the New World during the slave trade and maintained and kept alive by the diaspora. It has gods, a code of ethics, heaven, hell, good and evil.

http://www.amazon.com/Denise-Alvarado/e ... 646&sr=8-1

I only really know Denise Alvarado as far as resources for Voodoo, so she's the only one I'm recommending. There are others, but she's the only author I'm familiar with and I don't want to just google "Voodoo" and spam you with links that might be rubbish.

Hoodoo is indigenous* American folk magic much like Pow Wow. Unlike Pow Wow that has its origin among the Pennsylvania Dutch and German craft traditions, Hoodoo developed amongst the Southern black diaspora within the context of Baptist Christianity. It's not really concerned with good and evil, God and the devil, etc. even though the Psalms play an integral part in Hoodoo practice. You cannot find a Hoodoo spell or curse that does not reference or quote the Psalms in some way. The resource I link everyone to if they are just getting started researching it is Cat Yronwode's Hoodoo in Theory and Practice. It is a free resource, and I love it because she approaches it as an anthropologist FIRST, and a practitioner second. So there's a lot of information to sift through, but it gives a holistic view of WHY things are used the way they are and HOW certain beliefs came about.

Also, and this is something to keep in mind, if you are familiar with traditional witchcraft and Western esoterism in general, be advised that there are a LOT of differences in correspondence between Western esoterism in general and Hoodoo. Herbs have different purposes and properties, colors are different, even the days and hours of the angels are different. This is because of the source material used in the creation of Hoodoo. Most of the grimoires of Western Europe aren't used. A lot of the correspondences as regards Angels are derived from the Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses, and herbal correspondences are based on African folk healing rather than European folk healing. The color associations also derive from African color correspondences as opposed to European correspondences. Studying Hoodoo is very much studying a very alien operational paradigm.

All that being said, Hoodoo and Voodoo have a lot of similarities, and some Hoodoos do work with Voodoo Lwas (spirits/gods) just as Hoodoos will work with Christian saints. In its simplest description, I will often tell people that Hoodoo is the magical side of Voodoo, Santeria, Cayombe, etc. It's all of those religions with the religion removed. Hence the ease with which one can pick up books on any of those topics once your familiar with one and breeze through them.

*Edit: When I use the term "indigenous" I do not mean that it is part of the unique faith tradition of the indigenous First Nations peoples of North America. I mean it is indigenous and unique to North America because it developed here, much in the way that Commedia del Arte is an indigenous cultural development of Italy.

xxtraminimal
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: good sites, recourses and pdf documentation VOODOO/HOODO

Post by xxtraminimal »

i am studying this site as well.
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/HOME.html

its a satanic spiritualism site, as they claim. working with sigil's, and chaotic magic (magic's)
(also i think a good recourse site for historic mythologie: explained.)

there is realy a lot of information, the site is not so fun to use but that doesn't bother me its the information that counts not a site construct.
anyway ...

this leads to the question... can someone chek the site to confirm that it is really worthy information. as i am new to it its hard to tell..
and can some of the stuff there used for chaos magic's

one thing i linke about what they say is this

Christianity was invented to remove spiritual and occult knowledge (the powers of the mind) from the populace and place this power in the hands of a "chosen" few to the detriment of all humanity. The powers of the mind and soul are very real. People who are unaware of or who do not believe in these powers are easy to control and manipulate by those who are skilled in using these energies.

Return to “Beginners Info”