What's your favourite magickal song or music genre?

DeclareInsane
Forum Member
Forum Member

What's your favourite magickal song or music genre?

Post by DeclareInsane »

I love the band tool and their music videos. It's very surreal and it puts me into the right state of mind, it feels like I'm dreaming. It plays with my creative subconscious. "It was so real, like a woke up in wonderland."

But I love this song - Forty Six and 2
"My shadow. Change is coming through my shadow. My shadow's shedding skin I've been picking my scabs again.
I've been crawling on my belly. Clearing out what could've been. I've been wallowing in my own chaotic And insecure delusions.
I wanna feel the change consume me, Feel the outside turning in.I wanna feel the metamorphosis and Cleansing I've endured within
My shadow Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. Forty-six and two ahead of me.

I also love ratamahata from sepultura.

What your magickal song or music genre?
Suspend all your disbelieve as well as all your beliefs.

Quyrm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: What's your favourite magickal song or music genre?

Post by Quyrm »

When doing magick, I like to listen to stuff like Om, Coil, Lustmord, Sunn O))), and sometimes Earth. I like to use atmospheric music that has a very esoteric or magical feel to it.

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ramscha »

- Any typ of GOA
- Faun
- Two steps from hell
- Ensiferum
- Wadruna
bye bye

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

I've been hooked on an album by Dimmu Borgir, conceptually based on the life of Aleister Crowley. In particular, this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKj3XBsS684

The core principle of freedom
Is the only notion to obey
The formula for evolution and sin
Leading the way
The rebirth is nearing completion
As we slowly awaken from slumber

The malpractice of the spirit ends
When the gift is once again attained
No rules or restraints are longer valid
When the ancient future is reclaimed

It is all there for the eyes that can see
The blind ones will always suffer in secrecy
For it is the omen of what lies submerged
Untouched within us

The rebirth is nearing completion
As we slowly awaken from slumber
To receive the light that shines in darkness
The light that shines forevermore

Be the broken or the breaker
Be the giver or the undertaker
Unlock and open the doors
Be the healer or the faker
The keys are in your hands
Realize you are your own sole creator
Of your own master plan

eirôn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by eirôn »

I'm a music lover, it can be great for that magickal mindset. In particular, I'm a fan of progressive/power/symphonic metal genres, those bands can have a real sense of expansive power.

Some of my top favourites bands are Dream Theater, Kamelot, Edenbridge, Symphony X, Serenity, After Forever.

I like Tool too, I've several of their records, great rhythms.

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sypheara »

I'm a massive fan of shoegaze, black metal and all their related myriad subgenres. Doom and Funeral Doom are also pretty good, I can use them often for simply relaxing or doing inward searching meditations.

Dark ambient I prefer if I have anything at all on when doing rituals. Id prefer to create my own beat with a drum or something when doing rituals, but I need to get one made from somewhere reputable for an esoteric purpose, not some mass manufactured one I could pick up in a shop.
That dimmu concert looked pretty immense, love the classical elements they introduced in a live show very impressive. Sunn O))) and drone in general is pretty awesome. There is a small but very active scene in my country, a friend of mine produces similar stuff under the name Joseph Curwen.
'Flores noctis sumus atque alas pandimus, In profundis tenebrarum.'
Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.theluciferianrevolution.com
(admin approved link)

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

eirôn wrote:I'm a music lover, it can be great for that magickal mindset. In particular, I'm a fan of progressive/power/symphonic metal genres, those bands can have a real sense of expansive power.

Some of my top favourites bands are Dream Theater, Kamelot, Edenbridge, Symphony X, Serenity, After Forever.

I like Tool too, I've several of their records, great rhythms.
Lots of metal fans here. [happy]

Are you a Nightwish fan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjIlHWBAVo

eirôn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by eirôn »

Eremita wrote:Are you a Nightwish fan?
Yes indeed! I have a few of their albums, like the early noughties stuff with Tarja mostly, Once is a favourite I think.

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

Also wonderful: Loreena McKennitt with her arrangement of one of W.B. Yeats' poems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr6S2XOfkQg

Arzachel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Arzachel »

Undoubtedly Adest Rosa Secreta Eros by Cradle of Filth is the most "magickal" song I've heard by now :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3FXSnmlrs
Ceterum censeo Civitatem Islamicam delendam esse.

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Lateralus. Song and album. Hearing that song an album kick started my whole journey.
Beloved of Set

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Spent my school years listening to selections across the spectrum of metal (I was really into Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth, if that gives you an idea, but also Behemoth, Manson, NIN, a bit of Mayhem/Burzum/Ulver), then hit the rave scene at 17 and it was nothing but trance, hard dance and hardcore for the next 4 or 5 years. Since then I've diversified, mostly into old 90's alt rock and grunge (love me some RHCP and Nirvana), ambient/experimental stuff (Lustmord, Pete Namlook, etc), and spiritual/meditation music (mostly Sufi music and stuff made for Tai Chi and Chi Kung practice).

These days I listen to anything along that spectrum and some other stuff I've picked up along the way, although as I've grown out my teens and into my mid-20's (and also out of my teen angst/existential crisis and into a firm spiritual belief), I've found I listen less and less to the hard/dark/angry music, and more to stuff that's relaxing and affirming. Currently digging on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix3yMWjjA0w - Just listening to it makes me want to wander off into the desert and find a cave to meditate in for ten years. Or at least settle down into a nice practice session, but I just ate :|
Arzachel wrote:Undoubtedly Adest Rosa Secreta Eros by Cradle of Filth is the most "magickal" song I've heard by now :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3FXSnmlrs
Now that brings back memories, but possibly my favorite Cradle song was Saffron's Curse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjI0hhirhpQ

Say what you will about Cradle of Filth, but Dani writes some really poetic lyrics. Far above and beyond any other band in that area.

Now that I'm thinking metal, there's Behemoth, who's lyrics are full of occult (mostly Thelemite) references: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FfQHe3P4aM was one of my favorites back in the day.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Arzachel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Arzachel »

Rin wrote:Say what you will about Cradle of Filth, but Dani writes some really poetic lyrics.
Indeed, however they're not my style actually. But when I listen to music I enjoy music, especially since I realised that if I were to listen only that with lyrics that fit me, there would be literally few songs left :P

Of the other bands you mentioned only know I Dimmu Borgir and Burzum, and I'd say that old Dimmu was better than what it became now; the same applies to Burzum.
But this is just my own opinion.
Ceterum censeo Civitatem Islamicam delendam esse.

Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by 420 »

My Favorite is Bowie's Station to Station.
Free or drug free? America can't be both!

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

I'd agree with everyone that Tool reaches out across the boundary well.

Sounds like it was similar for me as for Rin - from jr high to high school it was everything from Faith No More, RHCP, Alice In Chains, Suicidal Tendencies, early Metallica, Anthrax, Fugazi, some Pantera, Ministry, later I finally started getting where Tool was coming from and grabbing some of the more introspective sides of Skinny Puppy's albums up. I also at 17 got grabbed up by the rave scene - I did like the right acid/tech trance a lot but pretty immediately I was hooked on dark drum n bass and acid techno as well as the deeper Swedish stuff like Adam Beyer's drumcode, Plastikman's style of minimal, etc..

Talking about this is getting me nostalgic though so might post something that way....

As for actually meditating or doing magic to music? Not sure. I think my best bet would be Plastikman's Artifakts, it's introspective enough and the drumwork won't grab at you to much. I remember reading the Tripartite Tractate of the Nag Hammadi in my early 20's while listening to Packard and the two seemed to gel well:
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

conscious.void
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by conscious.void »

Wow, I'm really surprised by how many great musicians are mentioned on this thread. Groups like Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead, Earth, and Dimmu Borgir, are all hugely influential to me, both as an individual and as an artist/musician.

That being said I thought I would share a few of my favorites not mentioned here.

Firstly, for those who like eclectic forms of Shoegaze that incorporate Doom, Drone, Black Metal, and Post Metal, I would highly suggest groups like Neurosis and Deafheaven. The former is more Post Metal while the latter is more an amalgamation of Black Metal and Shoegaze. I love both these groups although I tend to prefer Neurosis; it's like the official soundtrack of your nightmares.
Neurosis:
Deafheaven:
If you are more into Stoner Doom than Funeral Doom, I would highly suggest groups like Electric Wizard, Sleep, Acid King, Ufomammut, and Dead Meadow. However, if you lean more toward the Drone Metal, then I would highly suggest groups like Nadja and Moss, with Nadja being more Drone than Metal, and Moss being more Metal than Drone haha....
Ufomammut:
Nadja:
To take this a step further though, I would like to point out a genre that I only recently became privy to: Witch House. According to Wikipedia, "Witch house is an occult-themed dark electronic music genre and visual aesthetic that is heavily influenced by dark ambient soundscapes, industrial and noise experimentation, and features use of synthesizers, drum machines, obscure samples, droning repetition and heavily altered, ethereal, indiscernible vocals."

I personally would suggest groups like †‡† (Ritualz), ✝ DE△D VIRGIN ✝, and △AIMON. I've found that I enjoy most of these artists' tracks, but be warned, it's certainly not for everyone, and as with any genre, the music varies wildly from artist to artist. Also, they love to use weird characters and symbols in their band, album, and track names, making them difficult to search for. I would suggest using a torrent site and searching for Witch House under Music. You can find some nice compilations that way.
∆AIMON:
Well I guess that's it. I could go on and on, but I've taken up way too much time as it is.

DozingGreen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DozingGreen »

Black Metal but not gimmick oversensationalized crap thats all too common nowadays.Some of my favorites

Enslaved - Isa
Emperor - Thus Spoke The Nightspirit
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Wolves in the Throne Room - Queen of The Borrowed Light
Watain - Waters Of Ain
Celtic Frost - Ain Elohim
Celtic Frost - A dying god coming into human flesh

Outside of Black Metal I also Like
Godsmack - Voodoo (can't even listen to this without wanting to do something Magickal)
Slipknot - Iowa
Led Zepellin - Stairway To Heaven
Tool - Parabola

also of Course Wardruna,I usually play Wardruna while casting or performing a ritual. And I also Love Psy Trance for meditation. Focusing in on that 4/4 beat helps block everything out of my mind and focus.
"To live is to suffer,To survive is to find some meaning in the suffering"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

Watain is great [yay]

It is hard to say what my favorite genre or song is, because I like to listen to wide variety of music and, as psychedelic and progressive music taught me, like to listen to whole albums. To pick an favorite artist: Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Pink Floyd, Therion, Symphony X, Tool, Loreena McKennitt, The Sword, Opeth, Demons & Wizards, Iced Earth, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Wagner, Debussy, Saint-Saens, Satie, Ensiferum, Nevermore, Eivor, Daemonia Nymphe...

I spent a lot of time alone and on youtube [blush]

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Ritual Ghoul
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ritual Ghoul »

A lot of good music has been mentioned in this thread, I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised most forums I've been on recently haven't had what I would personally call good taste in music, though that's more of an opinionated thing. Recently I've been listening to a lot of folk, 'world music', goa trance, neo-folk, and death metal. That said, I really enjoy dark ambient in addition to those genres, when the time is right.

I noticed quite a few people mentioned black metal, that made me think of Nachtfalke. I find that their first two albums are not only fantastic, but also helps me get into a deep thinking state. Not quite magical, but deep thinking can help with magic, I believe. The following videos are songs (or music) that I find deeply spiritual and/or rich with symbolism.
v-Actual song title is Einherjer (Doomed To Die)
[youtube]http://youtu.be/JWd-gDxFzUk[/youtube] [url=ttp://youtu.be/JWd-gDxFzUk]Nachtfalke - Einherjer (Doomed To Die)[/url]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/LabiiA5S1Yg[/youtube] Jex Thoth - The Banishment

[youtube]http://youtu.be/1AJl2ne0Qjs[/youtube] Azam Ali - In Other Worlds

[youtube]http://youtu.be/xpMNXEY_tio[/youtube] Dead Can Dance - The Host of the Seraphim

Eh, that's probably enough videos. Love music, probably listen to too much of it, what can I say?
I'll listen to just about anything or nothing at all when I am in a magical mood, so to speak. But I do prefer the types of music that I listed above, including the videos that I have posted above.

Edit: I have no idea why the youtube tags aren't working, so for your convenience, there's a link right next to them.

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Lately I have been listening to Icaros.
They're the songs sung by shamans during Ayahuasca ceremonies.
So beautiful.
If any of you plan on doing a psychedelic drug in the future and listening to music, I highly recommend any Icaros.
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

Shamash
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shamash »

My absolute favorite band in the world is Current 93. I listen to C93 every day, and I love every release I've heard by the project, and I've heard damn near all of them. David Tibet is definitely the best lyricist and poet I know of.

Aside from Current, my other favorites are Autechre and Death In June. I like Autechre for the complexity, which is great mental stimulation. I love deconstructing all the rhythms going on in the tracks while they're playing. It never gets old. Death In June, on the other hand, is just great music.

777Sloan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by 777Sloan »

Well, I've been listening to Fairy Empire lately...or Yousei Teikoku/妖精帝国。 It's a little on the darker side, but good for creating a magical space within one's mind.

ultimafool
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ultimafool »

This should probably be in the Audio Forum but whatevs...

Lots of great music mentioned in this thread! Gotta second Sun O))), Coil, Current 93 and Tool's Lateralus.

When it comes to "magickal music" I tend to put them into two groups - music that puts me into a magickal state or body/emotional music, and intellectual/head music that i can enjoy on a cerebral level. On with the obligatory lists!

Body Music:
Throbbing Gristle
Gustav Holst's The Planets
Mozart
Ravi Shankar
Tuvan throat singing
middle eastern/sufi music
traditional asian/buddhist/zen music
damn near any instrumental music with a steady beat or groove

Head Music: (a bit harder to find good stuff that I resonate with but...)
Saul Williams' "Ohm" which was off the Lyricist's Lounge compilation vol. 1
random Wu-tang Clan/Gravediggaz lyrics, if you can decipher their mathematical slang. ex: "Arm to the Leg Leg Arm to the Head" from Gravediggaz track "Two Cups of Blood" off the first album "6 Feet Deep". Take the first letters of the five appendages that form a human in that lyric and they form "ALLAH".
Gore Elohim

Sun Ra has so much material that runs everywhere in-between body & head so he gets his own line of text in this post!

And there's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZ1xROm9Nk

edit: Bowie's Station to Station is also great if you are into Bowie and kabbalah!

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

As far as the kind of deep and calm reverence that sets me down right where I love to be this track is perfect.

Return to “Chaos Magick”