About the word Paganism

mrlittlegoat
Forum Member
Forum Member

About the word Paganism

Post by mrlittlegoat »

Hey good people :)

(This post might not be in the correct corner of the forum so please feel free to move it)

I have been thinking on and off about the word Pagan for about a year now. Is it not so that it was the Christians that gave us that collective title to describe the backwards country dwellers which were slow to take in new ideas and fashion? Does this not mean that the word Pagan is the christians version of a Redneck?

Eager to hear your thoughs and knowledge.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: About the word Paganism

Post by RoseRed »

Words change over time. Gay used to mean happy.

I have yet to meet a Pagan redneck.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

mrlittlegoat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by mrlittlegoat »

Ha! :D I liked that response and it is true enough.

Ramscha
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ramscha »

The word "heathen" is also used sometimes in association with paganism.
bye bye

HorridBruce
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by HorridBruce »

RoseRed wrote:Words change over time. Gay used to mean happy.

I have yet to meet a Pagan redneck.

Pagan redneck here! Sounding off!

(but then comes the discussion of the meaning of the word "redneck") I don't chew/smoke tobacco, but I do like beer, I don't like truck and tractor pulls, but I do drive a lifted Jeep with over sized tires. I don't mow my 5 acres of grass because I want the trees to grow back and the ducks and chickens do a fine job of keeping the grass short-ish. If I did mow the lawn I would find a car, but the cats use it as a sun room [grin] . I farm a large portion of my land but we don't use any chemicals that don't come out of the end of a chicken. I have dogs and cats and like to shoot my guns, but I don't hunt because killing animals for sport is senseless (if we needed the food then I would hunt as respectfully and honorably as possible, although I am trying to drive my family into a vegetarian diet).

So, I've been called a redneck and it doesn't really bother me but I wouldn't consider myself the quintessential "redneck" character. Personally I prefer the term Witch because I honor the Sacred Masculine (God) and Sacred Feminine (Goddess), I am close to the Earth, and I strive to become closer and wilder with each day even though this human world we are all prisoners of keeps much of my life captive. But since most people have no clue what "witch" means, I'm fine with "Pagan Redneck"...for now.

lupenthewolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by lupenthewolf »

Just gona say I have personally met several redneck pagans. I'm from Kentucky and we know redneck, so you can trust me when I say they do exist. [smile]
"I am what I am"

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Oh, I know they exist. My daughter married one.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

mrlittlegoat wrote:Hey good people :)

(This post might not be in the correct corner of the forum so please feel free to move it)

I have been thinking on and off about the word Pagan for about a year now. Is it not so that it was the Christians that gave us that collective title to describe the backwards country dwellers which were slow to take in new ideas and fashion? Does this not mean that the word Pagan is the christians version of a Redneck?

Eager to hear your thoughs and knowledge.
Words evoke different meanings to different people at different times. I used to associate the term "Christian" with compassion and kindness. for some it still holds those meanings. Presently, I consider the term to represent bigotry, cruelty and repression. These traits fed the bias that the term "Pagan" has developed since its use in the Roman military. It originally was used to refer to an unskilled/untrained legionary, similar to the present U.S. military term "Cherry."

One thing is clear. Language and society are developing entities and the term has had different meanings. Ask an American biker what he/she thinks of the term. Ask a Taoist monk. Then go ask some backwoods, bumpkin Baptist preacher! You'll get very different answers. Oh yeah, bring a few coins for the preacher to pay for his time.

JohnTitor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by JohnTitor »

I consider the word "Pagan" to represent (and was used by many as such considering Bhuddists and such were even called Pagans by the church- will follow up with source) any religion or practice not of the Abrahamic beliefs after the inquisition. As aforementioned in the post- words and their respective meanings or interpretations change over time. Pagan was used sort of as an insult historically to imply hedonism and devil-worship too. Though I personally attribute the term with being more nature aligned and self-aware/spiritually aware from a lifestyle that does not conform to the Judeo-Christian faith. Though with the huge boom in Wicca and stereotypical witchcraft after the Wiccan's Gardner and Alexander sort of popularized it in the mainstream and set about making distinctions in the practice that many Wiccan's have no idea about- Paganism took on a different meaning as far as how people felt about the word. They now attributed it to a specific paradigm/religious practice. People will ofttimes simply say "I am a Pagan," and not follow up with any further information regarding what they mean.
Creation is our gift, yet we seek only destruction. We have the ability to achieve greatness and mold our very existence into that which we desire- only to writhe in our perceived notions of existence and preconceived limitations set forth by our predecessors. Let us go forth together and create something wondrous and unique~
----------------------
"If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place."
Lao Tsu

MAZOHIR
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by MAZOHIR »

I like HORRIDBRUCE' reply. Me too, I'm a PAGAN. Red neck too, I suppose, since I like to shoot guns, drink beer, whiskey, vodka, and tequila, have short hair, like to "couch potato", like to watch sports, race cars, check out chiquitas, and so on. I like to baptise idiots in boiling tar and feather them, hang fools up on the rafters, and throw stones at any who proclaim themselves "gringos", ignorants, racists, perverts, gay-bashers.....Crowley-worshippers I just give the backwards "razberry"......heh heh.....
Mind-Kontrol and Drugs are the LAW, drugs under CIA MK-ULTRA

Return to “Witchcraft”