A witch that cannot curse, cannot heal

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: winged one
doh;289123 wrote:There's plenty of topics on how to curse here.

As far as it being evil, you just keep believing that if it floats your boat, but I think you need to consider other options. Which is more evil? Cursing someone who raped a child or performing a healing spell for someone dying of cancer when it only prolongs the suffering of one who is ready for their own death?

I think it's more evil to do the latter.

I don't think cursing or hexing and healing are opposite sides of the same coin at all. I think this saying is a moral justification made for a way of life by comparing two subjects that appear on the surface to be related but are not. If the person really meant "in order to heal you have to know disease" or "lightwork is best done by a balanced person" or "you have to understand the dark to fight with the light" then they would have said that. A witch that cannot curse cannot heal is a pat, immature, and false saying. It's something a 13 year old would feel cool touting.

If you want to be a witch and curse and or heal than just be it. Don't make up what amounts to a justification cheer.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: doh

I agree that the saying is simplistic, to say the least, and doesn't cover the whole of the idea. But I do believe that to understand the strength in something, you need to understand the strength of it's reflection (rather than opposite). And you really only understand by knowing and, for me, doing. I honestly think the saying very well may just have come up as a justification for someone who was cursing and caught a bunch of crap from "white witches" for doing it. Something to make them hush for a bit and hopefully think about it.

And, hitman, that is the very reason that I don't curse often and why, when I do, I spend days (sometimes weeks) working out details.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Eretik

" A witch that cannot curse cannot heal is a pat, immature, and false saying. It's something a 13 year old would feel cool touting. "

This 41 year old must be very immature then,by your reckoning. Go on then, back the above assertion with more than empty rhetoric.

"a moral justification made for a way of life by comparing two subjects"

I didn't offer justification, in my previous post, I offered my interpretation of said statement,based on the FACT that I've done both hexing and healing very successfully, I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone,I 'm not insecure about who and what I am or do, there is a big difference between justification and explanation, or indeed commentary... because you ,personally, cannot see the wisdom of the original comment that does not make it an unsound one.Why not just proffer your own opinion on it,without also attempting insult on the opinions and ideas of others?... That would be the mature option.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Eretik;289376 wrote:" A witch that cannot curse cannot heal is a pat, immature, and false saying. It's something a 13 year old would feel cool touting. "

This 41 year old must be very immature then,by your reckoning. Go on then, back the above assertion with more than empty rhetoric.

"a moral justification made for a way of life by comparing two subjects"

I didn't offer justification, in my previous post, I offered my interpretation of said statement,based on the FACT that I've done both hexing and healing very successfully, I don't feel the need to justify myself to anyone,I 'm not insecure about who and what I am or do, there is a big difference between justification and explanation, or indeed commentary... because you ,personally, cannot see the wisdom of the original comment that does not make it an unsound one.Why not just proffer your own opinion on it,without also attempting insult on the opinions and ideas of others?... That would be the mature option.

Darling you can curse and heal all you want. My point wasn't that witches or any such people shouldn't be able to do so. It's rather that I do think the statement as taken literally is patently false. I know plenty of witches who can heal just fine without being able to curse. I don't not believe they are morally superior. Now certainly an arguement can be made for witches needing to understand curses to heal them. But I fully disbelieve that a witch must be able to curse in order to know how to heal.

That being said, perhaps our version of "witch" and "curse" are different. In that case we're arguing semantics.

I haven't a problem with the sentiment, just the innacuracy of the way it's stated.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Eretik

No it's not semantics, that cleared it up for me,just fine.I understand your point.

"an arguement can be made for witches needing to understand curses to heal them. But I fully disbelieve that a witch must be able to curse in order to know how to heal."

#well said on that. Sorry,I was' nippy' ,I just reread my post, I am naturally grumpy, but still...I'll engage thought before speech next time.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

It's alright. Lol. I'm glad I made more sense.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Venefica

Ok pepole look at it this way. The saying do not say a witch that do not curse can not heal, it say can not. It means if she do not have the power to curse she do not have the power to heal. Take a hammer. A hammer that it not sturdy enough build to bash someone's skull in is not going to be able to put a nail through my wall so I can hang up a picture of my baby nephew.

So we can say the hammer that can not kill can not build a house and we will peak of the same principle and it will be equally true.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Quix

I believe the actual quote from which all these other quotes derives is, "The Witch that cannot kill, cannot heal," and it comes from Laurie Cabot in one of her earlier books.

It's a matter of daring. The Witches' maxim 'To Dare' designates venturing into the magickal work itself with enough courage that whatever manifests itself from the working will be dealt with accordingly even if it's a challenge. If a Witch doesn't have enough daring to be capable of killing with their magick, they will likewise not have the dual-natured capability of healing. They may think that they could heal, but it's more likely that natural cause and effect is simply working itself out when he or she who is ill recovers. A big part of Witchcraft is knowing what opposites exist, acknowledging the dualities of everything one works with so that when they cast a spell or work magick they can balance it out with its opposite and bring those forces to bear on it for maximum effect. A Witch is not the epitome of a realm of white light and goodness, for they honor both the light and the dark. The Witch who cannot honor the dark as well as the light cannot find their equilibrium. And hence, they cannot kill with their magick like any actual Witch would know how to do. It's just a type of hex that requires a deep knowledge that when examined with evaluation and understanding shows that the Witch knows how to merge with death as well as life. To become death and project it onto another is magick. To acknowledge that death is just a normal part of cause and effect is just common sense. To recognize dying as something believed in nature separates us from the idea of living forever. To recognize killing with magick as a part of Witchcraft is merely to say that the mark is getting what's coming to them anyway by way of the intention of power. If one doesn't have the power to do it, they don't have the power to heal either because both are as intrinsically tied together as the Yin and the Yang.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: lioncastle

Beautifully expressed, Quix. I struggled a long time resisting this reality, but if someone needs to be stopped harming others, for example, then stop them we must. It's a matter of knowing how and when. I just wanted to acknowledge your wise words and expression.

Love your signature line, too.

Nononichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: A witch that cannot curse, cannot heal

Post by Nononichi »

I agree with this quote, A way i would describe it is if you Can't Die, How can you Live?

Return to “Witchcraft”