The Rosicrucian Order, AMORC

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

isis.auset5
Forum Member
Forum Member

The Rosicrucian Order, AMORC

Post by isis.auset5 »

Hello,

Lately I've been on a sort of 'quest' to find any sort of groups in Portugal, going from freemasonry to Thelemites to Rosicrucians.

Thelemites don't seem to congregate here, Freemasons are here, but I've also found a very noticeable Rosicrucian Lodge in Lisbon. They have an official website where they have a visible calendar and they book appointments.

However, there's not actually much info on what they do, which is why I have come here before anything else.

In the first place, they claim to accept people of all religions and to be a group of knowledge and not religion, however, I often find them connected to gnostic paradigms. Can someone clear this up for me?

In the second place, how exactly are they in terms of rituals and etc? Is it possible that because they are so visible and open to new people that in Portugal they have been 'generalized' and nothing really happens 'backstage'? Or is there really more to them than meets the eye?

Third and last, can you recommend any piece of reading about them, their methods or their philosophies? I found 'The Rosicrucian Enlightenment' by Frances Yates but I'm not sure it'll be helpful.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: The Rosicrucian Order, AMORC

Post by Desecrated »

Go to their webpage. They have the most accurate information.

http://www.amorc.org/rosicrucianism

isis.auset5
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by isis.auset5 »

Foolishly I didn't think the english site would have more info, but it does!

In any case, I think I'll set up an interview - nothing better than actually going there.

Thanks, Desecrated!

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

isis.auset5 wrote:In the first place, they claim to accept people of all religions and to be a group of knowledge and not religion, however, I often find them connected to gnostic paradigms. Can someone clear this up for me?
Rosicrucianism is a European current that was (many would say is and always will be) Christian in nature. Which is to say that it was developed by people with a Christian outlook and framed in Christian language. But this is, obviously, esoteric Christianity.

The AMORC is somewhat different to many other Rosicrucian orders. They specifically claim a lineage directly from ancient Egypt, and emphasise this to the virtual exclusion of their Christian heritage. They teach that the mystery traditions all got started in ancient Egypt, which may or may not be true. Aesthetically they very much go for an Egyptian style, from their buildings to their monographs and newsletters. I don't know what they have to say about gnosticism, I have never been a member. They will not care what religion you follow, if any.
In the second place, how exactly are they in terms of rituals and etc? Is it possible that because they are so visible and open to new people that in Portugal they have been 'generalized' and nothing really happens 'backstage'? Or is there really more to them than meets the eye?
Again, I am speaking purely from second-hand sources, but as I understand it AMORC lodges do take part in group rituals. This includes initiations, but goes beyond that. Additionally, they give 'experiments' via their monographs which can be undertaken in solitude.

AMORC also runs the Traditional Martinist Order, which teaches what you might call more, well, traditional Rosicrucian material. Qabalah, Alchemy, etc (which are not taught in the AMORC monographs). I believe this also incorporates group ritual for keen participants.
Third and last, can you recommend any piece of reading about them, their methods or their philosophies? I found 'The Rosicrucian Enlightenment' by Frances Yates but I'm not sure it'll be helpful.
Joseph Weed, who was a member of AMORC for many years, published a book in the late 1960s titled Wisdom of the Mystic Masters. Apparently, and I cannot confirm this in any way, this book is a highly condensed version of the AMORC curriculum. It is fascinating reading and I recommend it to anyone interested in the subject. In the very least, it should give you an idea of what you are in for should you decide to join AMORC. Weed's book is very New Thought; there is practically nothing of the traditional 'Rosicrucian sciences' of Qabalah, Tarot, Astrology, Alchemy or Magic. The training exercises are focused on concentration, meditation, visualisation and so forth.

Finally, it is worth noting that AMORC underwent a schism in its leadership in the early 1990s, during which the Imperator Gary Stewart was ousted by the current Imperator, Christian Bernard. At this time, Stewart founded his own Rosicrucian Order, the Confraternity of the Rose Cross. AMORC revised its curriculum over the next few years, adding and subtracting material as the leadership thought appropriate, while CR+C continues to provide the 'original' AMORC curriculum pre-1990.

Weed was a student of the original curriculum and therefore his book may vary considerably from what AMORC currently teaches, but it's still a good starting point. :)

We have at least one regular forum member who is affiliated with AMORC and who may be able to offer insight into what they're about.

I hope this was useful. Best of luck. :)

Vovi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Vovi »

I used to be a member. They are mostly Egyptian-Greek-Kabbalistic based, but not entirely so. IMHO I would rather suggest the Aurum Solis rather than them.

isis.auset5
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by isis.auset5 »

Thank you, Vovi. I'll be sure to check it out as soon as I get home (the only problem will be finding it in Portugal)

Return to “Beginners Info”