Best book about Astrology?

Post by Desecrated »

Which one is your favorite and why?

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Best book about Astrology?

Post by RockDemon »

So much time passed since this topic, but I revive this question!

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I can't possibly pin only one down, lol.

This is a favourite though:

Richard Hinckley Allen: Star Names — Their Lore and Meaning

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/G ... /home.html
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Nahemah wrote:I can't possibly pin only one down, lol.

This is a favourite though:

Richard Hinckley Allen: Star Names — Their Lore and Meaning

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/G ... /home.html
Good, that was one of the books I bought last month, so I'll start with that one first then.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

An Introduction to Astrology by William Lilly - http://sacred-texts.com/astro/aia/index.htm
First published in 1647, as Christian Astrology, this is one of the best known post-classical works on Astrology. the present edition, heavily edited by 'Zadkiel,' was released under the current title in 1852. As the planet Uranus ('Hershel'), discovered in 1781, is mentioned throughout, and Neptune, discovered in 1846, is not, we can bracket the date of composition of the revised edition to the mid-19th century.

Horary Astrology, the subject of this book, interprets planetary positions to answer a wide range of questions, from lost dogs and stolen fish, to the death of kings. While there is a basic repertoire of interpretations, (e.g., Saturn bad, Venus good), the horoscope is used as a jumping off point for the astrologer's intuition.

And Lilly apparently had spectacularly good intuition. His famous prediction of the London fire of 1666 was so accurate that he was suspected of starting it, a charge he was later acquitted of. Lilly also used Astrology in medical practice and this book discusses the use of horoscopes in diagnosing diseases, determining whether a patient will die or get better, and so on.

Zadkiel was apparently the pseudonym of Richard James Morrison (1795-1874). Thanks to John Mark Ockerbloom of Online Books for pointing this out.
This is the book I'm trying to get through astrology with, for now. The point is to understand the basics, then I'm going to read up on actual astronomy. After that, I'll be doing plenty of work (ref. Picatrix) so it'll go trial and error fashion.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Great! Thanks!
By the way, I found this website http://www.astrologyweekly.com/learn-as ... essons.php and it has free lessons for astrology. Does any of you familiar with it what do you think?

P.S I moved the topic since we have a better place for it now. And I really wanted to check my new moderator powers.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

cyberdemon wrote:An Introduction to Astrology by William Lilly
This is the book I'm trying to get through astrology with, for now. The point is to understand the basics, then I'm going to read up on actual astronomy. After that, I'll be doing plenty of work (ref. Picatrix) so it'll go trial and error fashion.
Both that one and "Christian astrology" by the same writer is in the recommended reading section of the picatrix.
And then Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos.

They all seem to be in public domain so we can find them free online. But cosimo classics and astrology classics has them released as paperbacks.

But here is a PDF link to them:

http://www.worldastrology.net/ebooks

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

A handy guide for learning how charts are constructed, as well as learning and using technical terms and aspects in study:

Larousse Encyclopedia of Astrology by J. L. Brau, H. Weaver, A. Edmands.

There are other encyclopaedic works that are well written too, granted, but I like this one.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Men-Kali-Nan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Men-Kali-Nan »

Just got to mention Rheinhold Ebertin's mighty Combination of Stellar Influences. Unique system (AFAIK - although he didn't invent it; he did encode and popularise it), totally devoid of New Age fluffiness and scarily accurate.

(Not that I think there's anything wrong with a bit of New Age fluffiness - it just doesn't have any..).

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Men-Kali-Nan wrote:totally devoid of New Age fluffiness and scarily accurate.
This makes me happy.

Craig
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Craig »

Richard Hinckley Allen. I'll second that! Western/lndia/Chinese Astrology or astronomy, this book helps all. Inspired choice.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

@ Craig, we have a thread on Astronomy/ Astrology, here below, that has information and materials on it, if you want to check it out or add to it, please do. I find what you said about cosmic rays in another thread interesting, so thought it might be helpful to show you this. It's a mixed bag, but it could use a wider range of material in it.

http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewto ... 57&t=36197

Return to “Astronomy & Astrology”