Scariest experiences with the occult?

For difficult to define queries.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Scariest experiences with the occult?

Post by the_spiral »

Ok, so I want to hear from practitioners about their scariest stories doing occult stuff, whether through dabbling or serious study. Can you tell I love storytelling threads? lol

Mine was pretty common, I think. (And if you don't work with spirits or practice evocation/conjuration this will just sound like an imaginary ghost story, so...enjoy.) When I was but a wee baby sorceress, I moved into an apartment that was supposedly haunted by the ghost of a young male tenant who'd committed violent suicide there about two years before. This wasn't something I just noticed; his family, the neighbors, even the landlord were aware of the haunting before I moved in (thanks for no warning, y'all!) And this spirit was VERY lonely and VERY friendly and not shy about making its presence known. I felt bad for "him," and decided I would "help him move on" when my lease ended. He indicated he wanted me to ritually construct a body for him and bury it somewhere far away from the site of his death so he could rest in peace. So, being naive and gullible, I did.

Long story short, the haunting followed me after I took the body away and buried it in my new home state. It got more violent and intrusive and took on a completely different form...older, weirder, more inhuman. After some divination I realized this wasn't actually a human ghost. The tenant had left an etheric shell behind after being so violently jolted out of his body, and something else was "wearing" it and operating it like a puppet. And you can imagine the sort of things who do that. It either couldn't or didn't bother to bring the shell along when I took it with me, and seemed happy to ride me for awhile. My intuition was that it had either ridden the guy to suicide, or was attracted by the release of death energy and decided to hang around for awhile. It was a BITCH to get rid of, took years of cleansing and uncrossing, and caused me all sorts of problems in the meantime including haunting my loved ones. My husband even saw it hanging over the bed at night when we were dating, describing its (nasty) appearance perfectly even though I'd never told him about it. Pretty freaky.

Anyway, like I said the story probably won't make much sense unless you do that type of work, but that's what happened. I've run into bigger astral assholes since then, but that was my worst jolt since I was so young and hadn't had that "oh yeah, spirits can and do lie so verify EVERYTHING" wake up call yet. And it's part of the reason I don't take all the people who come here like "I just made a cute new entity friend, whee!" at face value.

Now tell me yours! [yay]
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Scariest experiences with the occult?

Post by Desecrated »

the_spiral wrote:After some divination I realized this wasn't actually a human ghost. and something else was "wearing" it and operating it like a puppet.
Classic. [thumbup]

My scariest experience that I'm willing to talk about is the standard sleep paralysis.
Woke up without being able to move, dark entity in the doorway, kept coming closer and closer, almost lost my mind for a second. That sense of shear terror and dread took about 3 days to shrug off.

Also. Classic rookie mistake:
Went to the woods, found a nice opening in between the trees, almost like a little circle. So I decided to be "nice" and ask for permission to step into the circle, waited. Nothing happened.
Asked if anybody was there (Yes, "anybody", that was the exact word I used). Nothing happened.
Went into the circle and sat down. Nothing happened.
I was just about to lose my eyes as I look ahead and saw a pair of feet.
Ugly ass rotting deer spirit staring me right in the fucking face 2 inches away. Almost lost my mind for a second time.
Spirits have no sense of "private space".

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

When I was 16 I got extremely blazed and hallucinated a voice coming out of the television, laughing maniacally and telling me I was going to die. Scared the hell out of me.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Eremita
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Eremita »

My freakiest story was from when I was a kid.

My mother acquired this old second-hand chest of drawers. She put it in my brother's room (he would have been about nine at the time, I was about six). He told us one morning he'd awoken during the night to see a 'demon' sitting on this chest of drawers and grinning at him (malicious looking bugger with horns and fangs and shit). He was too scared to move, couldn't speak, the usual (sounds very much to me like sleep paralysis, which I've also experienced and which Desecrated described very well). Anyhow, I believe he had this experience a couple of times, and always this entity was sitting on the chest of drawers.

My mother became very uneasy about this thing, she said she'd had a strange feeling about it since she brought it home.

She's a Christian and she used to play children's cassette tapes of Bible story readings for my brother and myself to listen to as we fell asleep. This one night she woke up after a particularly bad nightmare, and at the same time the cassette players in both my room and my brother's had simultaneously malfunctioned and chewed up the tapes. Thoroughly freaked, she got us out of bed and we went to her friend's house to stay the rest of the night.

She got rid of the chest of drawers the following morning and the weirdness stopped.

ErebusNamtar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ErebusNamtar »

Not through any real occult work as such but still a story that will stay with me forever. Also part of dumb-shit-I-have-done list, is a haunting investigation at an abandoned house. Now, this country is pretty small. So small in fact, that abandoned houses are extremely rare. They usually get renovated or torn down to be replaced within months.
This old place however was always left alone which should have been kind of red flag to begin with.

I was part of a local ghosthunters team about ten years ago and I tagged along as the occult 'expert' (in my 20's...an expert LOL). This house had quite the history and it was known to some dumb kids and cultniks (as we called them) broke into it for the thrills and perform rituals. The true story surrounding the owners is hard to find but what I do know is that they were a wealthy merchant family but after 5 years of living there relative started to die off mysteriously one by one. Rumors speak of a curse or even the head of the house slowly killing off his son, daughters and wife for ritual sacrifice.
There was talk of strange lights, eerie shadows and even people being scratched and pulled at.
Interesting to be certain so we decided to check the site out.

We asked the current land-owner permission to investigate and he was more than happy to indulge us as he wanted to know what was really going on. He wasn't related to the people that once lived there but had bought the land and wanted to resell it. He was going to tear the house down a few weeks later and therefore wanted to document anything going on there out of interest, before it would be gone. We tried to explain that tearing down the house might not mean all the things going on there wouldn't stop but he did not care anymore at that point. He wanted to demolish the house anyway as he was sick and tired of all the trespassers; security cost him too much at that point.

It was such a negative place that even half a mile away I started getting a bad vibe. I'm not a coward but everything in me screamed to get away from there and as far as humanly possible. I calmed myself by rationalizing this was just my own mind conjuring up images because of the tall stories told about the place.
The owner of the land let us in but left as he "did not need to spend another minute there". Signs of break-in were obvious. It did kind of break my heart to see such a beautiful place completely wrecked by vandals. I also noticed sigils, burn-marks and such inside. They raised my heckles even more as I instinctively felt they had worsened the situation there. Probably teenagers dabbling with stuff they should have left alone in a place that was already 'wrong'.

We got a lot of interesting readings there and we immediately played back some EVP's we recorded. They were chilling to say the least. Inhuman sounds that were so disturbing that any sound resembling it will freak me out to this day. It didn't take long before we started experiencing cold touched to our faces and even short tucks at clothing and hair.
As I walked up the stairs to the attic (which was the fourth floor) I felt an intense pressure pushing against me and a feeling of nausea overcoming me. I said out loud that I meant no disrespect and if anything did not want us there we would leave in peace. We never pushed the boundaries as a group and were always respectful.
Everybody was already freaked out at that point as the whole atmosphere felt charged with hatred, no matter how respectful we worked. I just knew that these were no human spirits remaining but very dark and negative entities feeding off all the energy there.

We kept in touch through walkie-talkies and decided to call it a night; it just did not feel right and everybody freaking out is a good sign of not being up to the job. As I turned around and started going down the stairs I was shoved down violently. I clearly felt a hand on my right shoulder pushing me. As I'm physically disabled it was a scary moment and as I tumbled down I could not help but think "shit, will I survive this?"
I was 'lucky' in that I only sprained two ribs but in a rush of adrenaline I got up and stormed back upstairs cursing and swearing like a madman. I was just so pissed off I wasn't scared anymore. I only thought about how this thing had endangered my life. Now the stupid part; I started daring whatever it was to visit me one more time if it was so strong as it thought it was and 'hey eff you pal".

We left the house and paid a visit to the ER. It wasn't until a week later that strange things started happening around my house and I knew something was up. The same vibe from that house was seeping into mine. The scariest thing that happened to me was actually seeing something standing behind my in a mirror. I don't like mirrors, I never did and never will and that phobia only worsened when I saw that 'thing' standing behind me. Nearly gave me a heart-attack and I ran out of the house in the dead of the night. I stayed at a friend's house for two night before finding the strength to return.

I did a full cleansing and asked for protection from Sumerian entities in a ritual which worked, thankfully, almost instantly. I have never again even so much as felt that entity but man it was scary. I was afraid it would haunt me for years to come!

Words to the wise; never taunt an entity! [crazy]
Today, there is only a bushy patch of land at the site where the house used to be. As far as I know the land still hasn't been sold and there's also still rumors of strange things going on there. People who live there call it the site of the witch-house and refuse to go near.

It might make it into a horror-movie one day as a director has shown interest in the story. Personally, I've had enough already.

Robin_Alexander
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Robin_Alexander »

I think my scariest experience was a few years back . . .

It's strange, as I have other more 'scarier' ones, but I think this one always sticks with me, because I always feel it was less a "crap, that was surprising!" and more an "crap, that could have actually killed me" . . . it's part of why I always advocate - extremely, greatly, muchly - always taking evocation very seriously.

I was . . . a lazy practitioner. I used to forgo all rituals, spells, and so forth . . . I did a few evocations before that point; one led me to learn more about a friend's past life, another led me to learning more about Enoch, and - generally - things seemed to be going very well. So - eventually - I decided to try and contact my guardian spirit or angel, curious as many people I know knew theirs (either personally or through various mediums), and with some great meditation and a lot of time . . . I thought I made contact with them.

It went great at first . . .

The spirit was very friendly, taught me a lot of new things, and did things that were enough to convince me they were real and legitimate . . . there were also massive red flags, but I thought nothing of them at the time . . . eventually, the spirit grew stronger, to the point there were just there all the time (no astral, no evocation, no anything - just always there, non-stop). They also ended up aggravating other spirits, before weaving an insanely complex tale involving a spirit attached to a friend, and I ended up rather obsessed with them and their story/life.

It ended up that they started to get very negative, more than they ever were before, and started asking me to commit suicide to join them . . . I have a serious battle with depression, so - yeah - that was an emotional manipulation too far and enough to make me try to pull away from them. Then came the heart palpitations. The spirit would inflict them at random times; one time was so bad that I thought it may have been the start of a heart-attack, so that I was hunched over clenching my chest and struggling to breathe, until I 'fought' it off and stopped it (still wonder whether I would have actually died, had I just accepted it and let it continue).

That's when I met - mostly by chance - Vassago.

I'd never attempted to summon Goetia before, and it was on a completely unrelated matter, too, but - in all actuality - it probably saved my life . . . I was able to get some space from the spirit, enough to realise how co-dependent and dangerous the relationship was, and started to branch out on my own. The spirit was unhappy with this, so they were eventually banished on a permanent basis, and - in all honesty - my mental health has never been better . . . I can't believe I'd ever allowed myself to be suckered in to that extent. I still have a good working relationship with Vass, too, but that's another story.

I've never done evocation like that since.

Moral: always take evocation seriously . . . you will get taken advantage of else.

Seabed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Seabed »

Few years ago, one morning, the Death visited me. I remember that moment like it was yesterday. Looked at me straight into my eyes for a few moments and left the room. It wasn't scary, it's beyond being scared.
I haven't done any rituals, or ever even think about Death before seriously.
As the time goes by, I feel honored to be visited by such a noble holiness.
Only Lovers Left Alive

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

I guess I have 2 different experiences that stand out in my mind. I'll share both, but maybe just one at a time.

1) this one's more 'ghost story'-ish

I was... I want to say around 12 years old, shortly before junior high school, that area. It occurred late afternoon, in broad daylight, on a very normal day. I was drawing in my notebook in the living room, while the family was watching the news on tv. It was a completely nonthreatening situation. Dan Rather was saying something about something political. Just... I want to emphasize a lack of outside inspiration for fear. I had sharpened a bunch of pencils at school, because those sharpeners are way better than the little ones I had at home. I decided that I needed to go get a new sharper pencil, and started towards my bedroom to get them.

I was thinking about my drawing, not really about my surroundings. So it surprised me that when i rounded the corner to go into the hall that terminated at my bedroom, I felt very suddenly aware of my surroundings. There was a feeling of foreboding. And it stopped me in my tracks and changed my train of thought from what I had been thinking about. I'm quite used to the idea of working oneself up into a panic by way of what they think about, but this was a sense of fear in contrast to any thinking I had been doing, and in contrast to anything around me that I could see. I felt afraid of going down the hallway, for no reason at all.

I shrugged, there was nothing out of the ordinary. It was broad daylight outside. Everything well lit. Nothing at all wrong. I was just being silly. So I started walking down the hall towards my bedroom, certain that I was just being silly for feeling uncomfortable. But every single step I took down the hallway, my sense of foreboding increased 10 fold. It felt like I was walking deeper and deeper into a cloud of something really terrifying and horrible.

Noticing how the intensity of my feelings rose dramatically with every inch I moved down the hallway, i stopped about halfway down the hall to reevaluate things. Part of me really wanted to just go back the way I came, to move out of this area that felt so deeply off, to move away from the sense of something dangerous and hostile. But another part of me saw that it was just my bedroom after all. I mean, birds were chirping outside... nothing evil happens when birds are chirping, or when there's tv commercials selling us toothpaste from the living room, right? There was nothing at all tangibly wrong. The light was even on in my room. And I was at that age, where I didn't want to be childish and run from monsters in closets anymore. I was grown up enough to ignore this silliness and go get my pencils, wasn't I? "MY" pencils, would I really let some childish chill on the back of my neck stop me from having them? No. No I wouldn't.

So I continued forward, jaw set, head high. No more silliness. But the intensity of how intimidated I felt just rose more and more as I approached the open doorway to my bedroom. By the time I was standing right at the doorway, I stopped again. The feelings of intimidation and discomfort I felt in the hallway were nothing compared to standing right at the doorway. I felt like I was standing at the doorway to a walk-in freezer, except instead of cold air, I felt pure dread wafting over my skin from the room before me.

I was terrified. I looked around the room, there was nothing at all wrong with it. I didn't feel like there was anything bad right behind me or other typical paranoid delusions, I felt like behind me was only the path away from this terrifying feeling, relief was behind me, terror was dead ahead. The sensation of that room was like pure malice, beyond the bounds of sanity. It wasn't something interested in me per se, but just... raw pure hatred and aggression as an area of sensation, not directed at anything particular, or more accurately perhaps, directed at everything near it.

At this point I was no longer telling myself it was nothing. Standing at the doorway, the sensation of it, whatever it was, was so intense that you could practically cut it with a knife and stack it in blocks. Even though I couldn't see anything, it was definitely there. Really extremely terrifyingly there.

I had, since early childhood, many experiences with entities which sought to get a fear reaction out of me. And I had learned to endure and rise above. I would rather poke fun at a fear-inducing entity than cower under the sheets. I felt like I'd do the same here. This was subtly different though, I don't think it cared whether I was scared or not, it just felt so dangerous that I was naturally afraid of it. And it was soooo intense feeling. If it had been dark I probably would have turned around by then, but...

I set my eyes on my goal. My jacket, within which were several sharpened pencils in the inside pocket. And I marched into the room refusing to be turned away. I took 3 big steps towards my jacket, and then I froze perfectly still. If the sensation of dread was turned up to 10 at the doorway, then standing right in the middle of the source it was turned up to 100. I felt like I couldn't move. Or more accurately, that I dare not move. I didn't even have my feet planted in a way that I could stand still and keep my balance easily, but i was as motionless as stone, too terrified to even breath or blink. My heart beat like it had a gun to it's head. If I had not set off into the room with some momentum, I would not have made it as far into the room as I did.

I had 3 competing instincts at that time: to flee immediately. to remain perfectly still. or to take another step get my jacket & pencils, and then flee. I don't know how long I was there torn between these 3, but I was staring at the jacket with my pencils, it just happened to be what I was looking at when I froze up. Time felt surreal, no idea how long I was there, I was in slow-motion total life & death adrenaline mode.

And then my jacket slid towards me, off my table, and onto the floor at my feet.

I took off out of there so fast I'd have gone right through the wall koolaid style if i missed the door i think. In my mind, I was heading out the front door and not going to slow down until I was a quarter mile away and gasping for air... but immediately as I left the room and moved down the hallway, I could feel that the dreadful thing, whatever it was, was not in pursuit. By the time I got to the end of the hall opposite my room, the feeling of it was almost gone. So I slowed down, and stopped in the living room, hoping to avoid making a scene in front of family.

Later that evening, after the sun went down and I was very spooked and had to go down to my bedroom to sleep unless I wanted to explain some seriously weird sh** to my bible thumping parents... I was very afraid of the prospect and I felt trapped, and not sure what to do... but the 'bad thing' whatever it was, had gone. I was kinda jittery and spooked about going down there, seeing my jacket really was on the floor, etc. But no palpable sensation of dread like before. It was "all clear", even though dark now, and me very much on edge, it just lacked that certain mouth of hell opening up sensation [tongue]

I suspect I may have, without realizing, drawn the jacket to myself. No idea on the spooky thing, I was only 12 after all.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Love that story Kath. You seemed to be very intuitive and smart at that age. Very good memory of the events too.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”