Are fictional characters egregores?

Exploring the Philosophical side of the Occult.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Are fictional characters egregores?

Post by chowderpope »

Serious question, is Donald Duck an egregore? What about super heroes? Because they are in popular fixation does that make them an egregore? Please explain.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

ErebusNamtar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Are fictional characters egregores?

Post by ErebusNamtar »

I think they are. Though egrogores are normally purposefully created certain characters do reflect ideals and aspirations people aspire to. This is basically what an egrogore is for; a focus to work with and not so much an external entity.
Obviously not everyone would see fictional characters as egrogores and they are mere entertainment but I have worked with fictional characters in my rituals and will do so numerous times. That said, because of their popular nature they might become wildly unfocused without a real persona.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote:Serious question, is Donald Duck an egregore? What about super heroes? Because they are in popular fixation does that make them an egregore? Please explain.
I don't think there is too many people devoting themselves to make Donald Duck come alive. So although people know about him, they probably don't feed too much energy into him.
The whole thing about comic book characters are that we know they aren't real. No mater how much fun you can have with the idea of it, I think it would be extremely hard to suspend your own belief into seriously thinking one of these things alive.

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

Practically speaking I think Des sums it up. I personally think everything has a spirit, egregore, inherent energy, or whatever. Many schools actually would agree that it is possible to connect with this part of any symbol, it's called scrying. The AA would rigorously test its students in this using unfamiliar symbols, scryed symbols, or even objects (psychometry). Keeping this in mind, you can look into what all of the 90s and other chaos mages were doing with this very thought, there are anecdotes of mages scrying Pepsi can symbols and comparing the entity to the Coke egregore.

So, in order to make these egregores effective usually a lot of ritual and such goes into empowering it to work. That doesn't mean that someone with ESP, scrying abilities, or what have you, can't connect with the energetic component of anything, an object, tree, symbol (character) or whatever. Fictional characters are no different from Mythic characters (they are born from our creativity) and are powerful to us because of their human qualities.
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

I'm being haunted by one very particular fictional character (not in a haunted house type of haunting yet). Do they actually spring in to some form of existence on some astral/spiritual plane out of somebody's mind? I haven't even played that game, but whenever I come across any imagery of her, I feel the immense pull and lots of cuddly warm feelings emanating somewhere inside me. Am I feeding it/her? I never before gave it much thought, but suddenly today I got slightly suspicious of this character, all fancy and stuff, just popping up here and there as if by accident..
Attachments
alice-the-madness-returns-hd-1080p.jpg

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Is she not just your ideal woman giving you a boner?
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

chowderpope wrote:Is she not just your ideal woman giving you a boner?
[grin]
No, not really. Close but not quite there. It doesn't tickle my lower chakras at all, strangely.
For boners I'm more in to these kind of girls:
Attachments
300px-demon.jpg

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

But I'm not just having a laugh, it seriously bothers me. Any input? Thoughts and ideas? Am I just over thinking it?
Can a fictional character grow in to "living breathing" entity theoretically?
Actually maybe it's wrong question, because I think a lot of them sparked in to existence out of an idea, feeling, a thought in some other mind. I probably mean more in this specific type of fiction - a just some kind of computer game.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

And if there actually is a spark of "life", how would you blow it in to a fire?

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I would imagine it could be fed by giving it attention each day, visualizing it, just like you would another kind of thoughtform or servitor. Perhaps you could speak to it and see if you can find it while dreaming or in between waking and sleeping.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

I am a huge fan of Sailor Mars but I saw Sailor Moon's spirit around me twice. I believed her to be a manifestation of my subconscious as someone pointed out once. I gave it some thought and I ended up feeling that I still prefer Sailor Mars over her.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

chowderpope wrote:I would imagine it could be fed by giving it attention each day, visualizing it, just like you would another kind of thoughtform or servitor. Perhaps you could speak to it and see if you can find it while dreaming or in between waking and sleeping.
When I look at her I do get feeling like I'm able to connect to something at a great distance, like when I'm looking a photo of real person, but that might be my imagination playing tricks on me. Maybe I should play that game someday? Might help to connect if there is anything to connect to.
They took that "idea" of her personality from a light and bright story and threw it in to a dark nightmarish place, they dress her up in strong symbols like some kind of enchantment or a spell. And millions of people who played her story got possessed by her, fed her. I might be on the weird side of things but there should be something tangible out there.
Maybe she is trying to get out [grin]
Napoli wrote:I am a huge fan of Sailor Mars but I saw Sailor Moon's spirit around me twice. I believed her to be a manifestation of my subconscious as someone pointed out once. I gave it some thought and I ended up feeling that I still prefer Sailor Mars over her.
Maybe Sailor Moon came instead of Sailor Mars because she has stronger presence just because she has more fans?

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Cerber wrote:Maybe Sailor Moon came instead of Sailor Mars because she has stronger presence just because she has more fans?
I think you are right. Sailor Moon is the most popular in the fandom.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Napoli wrote: I think you are right. Sailor Moon is the most popular in the fandom.
So your favourite haven't been fed as much, she is weak and can't show up as much as easily. And greedy Sailor Moon saw an opportunity to try and sway you to her side. [stare]

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Well after meditating on it a bit it all joined to me in these pretty ways. Am I getting anywhere with with? Warmer or colder? [confused]
Attachments
AliceWonderland05.png
AliceWonderland05.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 15514 times

शक्ति
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by शक्ति »

chowderpope wrote:Serious question, is Donald Duck an egregore? What about super heroes? Because they are in popular fixation does that make them an egregore? Please explain.
Dear Cowderpope, thinking about your question at first I came to the conclusion that here we talk about mass media being an active socialization agent, and in that sense it plays a huge role, however still not sure about it /or it's products / being an egregores. Later a banal thought came into my mind "TV sets may be egregors", I know many people who just turn on TVs and not watch, they just need it to be turned on. The same is with other technologies. This sounds banal, but smartphones, TVs and computers keep people attached to them with mass media and social media products, after some time the content of the product becomes not important at all but being attached to the technology becomes a need. Still sounds banal to me that for example a TV set can be an egregor, however it seems people feed technologies /an example to that are soul draining games/. What do you think about that ?

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

शक्ति wrote: Dear Cowderpope, thinking about your question at first I came to the conclusion that here we talk about mass media being an active socialization agent, and in that sense it plays a huge role, however still not sure about it /or it's products / being an egregores. Later a banal thought came into my mind "TV sets may be egregors", I know many people who just turn on TVs and not watch, they just need it to be turned on. The same is with other technologies. This sounds banal, but smartphones, TVs and computers keep people attached to them with mass media and social media products, after some time the content of the product becomes not important at all but being attached to the technology becomes a need. Still sounds banal to me that for example a TV set can be an egregor, however it seems people feed technologies /an example to that are soul draining games/. What do you think about that ?
I agree with that. I even suspect I'm constantly having difficulties relating to "normal" people around me partially because I don't watch TV for the last 10-15 years. I feel disconnected from whatever they are connected. I often don't understand their behaviour, reactions and interactions, their feelings and frustrations and why they see things the way they see. And why everyone is so bloody sensitive?

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

We didn't quite liked that first iteration. Better now
Attachments
AliceWonderland16.png
AliceWonderland16.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 15489 times

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

How'd you come up with the sigil? Scrying? Looks cool.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

chowderpope wrote:How'd you come up with the sigil? Scrying? Looks cool.
what's scrying?
with pen and paper

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Scrying like, astral vision. Like utilizing the imagination to receive messages. People do it with black mirrors and crystal balls traditionally. or just with eyes closed works I guess.

I'm just curious about your process for making that sigil if you want to share, if not that's cool too.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

chowderpope wrote:Scrying like, astral vision. Like utilizing the imagination to receive messages. People do it with black mirrors and crystal balls traditionally. or just with eyes closed works I guess.

I'm just curious about your process for making that sigil if you want to share, if not that's cool too.
I didn't know about what's right or wrong. I just took a notebook and pen, put down on it what I have, all the symbols that some way relate to her being, and then I did try to combine with the intent of defining her existence in a way, finding her in another way, and then just go with the feel, few hours later with plenty ups and downs and moments of frustration I felt I reached my destination, at least as far as I could possibly go this time. Well more or less. Not overly impressive, I know. But "it" feels nice, to me at least.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Cool. Nice process. Looking good.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

chowderpope wrote:Cool. Nice process. Looking good.
Thanks. I appreciate.

Shame nobody wants to join me on this adventure, on this quest to free that poor soul of her tormented existence.. [confused]
But don't you worry, Alice, I'm coming. You just hang in there a little longer.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Maybe she represents some repressed part of yourself, and you should free it by beating the game.

Return to “Reason and Unreason”