Potent book recommendations

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Serpentpath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Potent book recommendations

Post by Serpentpath »

Hello,

My purpose: To have a one of a kind spiritual experience.

My goal: If you have great experience regarding occult books...can you please recommend some book for me that will most certainly give me some kind of raw and real experience. Maybe you can recommend me a book list of those books that you consider to be the real deal.

Been watching several videos on youtube and googling lists of dark occult and diabolic books...so far most seem scams costing 100s of dollars...others seem works of an active imagination without any real substance. For example according to Thomas Sheridan on youtube: the Book of St. Cyprian a Sorceror's Treasure is supposed to be dangerous...but after some research from occult forums, the book's actual contents are harmless and no reason to fear its contents.

I prefer prose and theory to books with too many sigils and symbolism. Was reading Liber Falxifer Volume 2 and was enjoying Qayin's genesis story....but after that it become a continuous succession of strange symbols and how to worship the Death lord...without any real purpose as to what could be gained by worshiping such a being or why praying to him makes him a better deity than all the others.

I want a book recommendation(s) that is the real deal and leads to some kind of spiritual experience that will be unique and unforgettable and of course also beneficial to me. I know that all that stuff about selling your soul is bs and only fools want to do that...but through these tomes/books I wish to gain some insight into what methods I can use to make my life better in a material/financial way without having any pretensions about winning the lottery, just in a general sense. SO yeah a powerful book list that actually works would be a good recommendation.

blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Potent book recommendations

Post by blindwake »

Magick isn't about being dark or diabolical. It's about change in conformity with will. There's nothing moralistic about it. There are also no powerful books. It is the individual that has the power. You have to train hard if you want to accomplish anything. There are no short cuts.

Before you read anything, right now, you can start meditating for ten minutes a day. You'll probably need to develop a fair amount of concentration ability before you can do anything useful.

Read these (in order of difficulty):

Very Simplistic and Direct

The Psychonaut Field Manual
The Psion's Handbook by Sean Connelly

This stuff tells you what to do, but doesn't really explain why you are doing what you are doing. The advantage of psionics as a start is that it is very modern, and is very easy to understand.

Extra Ideas

Robert Monroe's series (Journeys Out of the Body, Far Journeys, and Ultimate Journey)
Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce
My Big TOE by Thomas Campbell (The book is very wordy, and mostly garbage, but there are some fairly unique ideas. I just read the first 100 pages or so.)

These are focused on astral projection. Robert Monroe doesn't really give any exercises, but he can add some credibility in your mind, of the authenticity of non-physical stuff. Astral Dynamics is a comprehensive guide of astral projection. My BIG TOE provides an alternative worldview which can help explain astral projection. If you just want to have a quick and cool experience, you might want to check out this stuff first. Look up Monroe's Hemi-Sync, as it might help you get started. It's an aid for astral projection.

Slightly more abstract, but more informative

Oven-Ready Chaos by Phil Hine
Advanced Magick for Beginners by Alan Chapman
Liber Null & Psychonaut by Peter J. Carroll

This stuff is all chaos magick. Treat it as the philosophy that goes along with the psionics stuff. This is to help you get a better understanding of what magick actually is. If you want to actually get somewhere, you can't just go through the motions. You have to know what you are doing. For this reason, I recommend staying away from Crowley and ceremonial magick at your start, and looking more into direct magick (meditation type things where you actually train your focus).

Introductory level

Initiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon
You could quite easily get by with just this book, but it requires a lot of discipline. You could use this book as a quality of life improvement guide, even if you were uninterested in magick.

A Bardon Companion by Rawn Clark (This is a commentary to help you understand IIH)
For the record, if you look for extra commentaries and come across one by a guy named "Veos" run away like the plague.

Modern Magic by Donald Michael Kraig

I used this book to complement IIH. IIH can be very cryptic, but is very practical. Modern Magick is less "direct" in that it uses quite a bit more of symbolism than IIH, and is more focused on ceremonial magick (LBRP, etc.) Still, the explanations can often be applied usefully towards IIH.

Symbolism

The Qabalistic Tarot by Robert Wang

The thing about magick is that a lot of the literature is dependent on symbols. You simply won't understand some concepts used across lots of different books unless you spend at least a little bit of time in researching symbols. This book briefly explains all the symbols used in a tarot deck. Treat it as a sort of one stop shop for all your symbols (a crash course overview.)

More Advanced

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson
Practice of Magickal Evocation by Franz Bardon
Key to the True Quaballah by Franz Bardon

You probably won't be able to make use of any of this material for at least a short introductory period of time.
When everything makes too much sense, that's when you know you've got none. It's this confidence in reality that makes me uneasy.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Serpentpath wrote: My goal: If you have great experience regarding occult books...can you please recommend some book for me that will most certainly give me some kind of raw and real experience. Maybe you can recommend me a book list of those books that you consider to be the real deal.
Books are at best roadmaps. They can point you in the right direction but they can't transport you to your destination.

If you want an experience, you have to go out there and experience it yourself.
Any book about tai chi, qigong, yoga, meditation or even mindfulness will give you some pointers on where to start, and then you can start there.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Serpentpath wrote:I wish to gain some insight into what methods I can use to make my life better in a material/financial way without having any pretensions about winning the lottery,
Exercise
Avoid stress
Eat healthy
Sleep well

That's pretty much it. You can read the golden verses of Pythagoras up till Napoleon Hill and they pretty much say the same thing. Any self-help books is based on the 7 hermetic principles so read the kyballion might be worth the time.

Booker T Washington's book 'up from slavery' has a great checklist:

Learn how to read and write.
Learn a trade.
Own your land.
Don't borrow money.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I agree with blindwake, maybe you would like Franz Bardon's trilogy, starting with Initiation into Hermetics. It's pretty difficult in my opinion, but it's a serious system of practical training. If you want to be practical, put in hard work, and get results, I recommend that.

Israel Regardie also has a good fundamental training book called the One Year Manual.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Serpentpath wrote:Hello,

My purpose: To have a one of a kind spiritual experience.

My goal: If you have great experience regarding occult books...can you please recommend some book for me that will most certainly give me some kind of raw and real experience. Maybe you can recommend me a book list of those books that you consider to be the real deal.

Been watching several videos on youtube and googling lists of dark occult and diabolic books...so far most seem scams costing 100s of dollars...others seem works of an active imagination without any real substance. For example according to Thomas Sheridan on youtube: the Book of St. Cyprian a Sorceror's Treasure is supposed to be dangerous...but after some research from occult forums, the book's actual contents are harmless and no reason to fear its contents.

I prefer prose and theory to books with too many sigils and symbolism. Was reading Liber Falxifer Volume 2 and was enjoying Qayin's genesis story....but after that it become a continuous succession of strange symbols and how to worship the Death lord...without any real purpose as to what could be gained by worshiping such a being or why praying to him makes him a better deity than all the others.

I want a book recommendation(s) that is the real deal and leads to some kind of spiritual experience that will be unique and unforgettable and of course also beneficial to me. I know that all that stuff about selling your soul is bs and only fools want to do that...but through these tomes/books I wish to gain some insight into what methods I can use to make my life better in a material/financial way without having any pretensions about winning the lottery, just in a general sense. SO yeah a powerful book list that actually works would be a good recommendation.
If you want a memorable experience I absolutely recommend the ritual in Grimoire of the Golden Toad by Andrew D. Chumbley.

The Toad Bone rite though based around a folklore has been adapted there to facilitate a genuine real life encounter with the 'Devil' in whatever form your definition defines that as.The work is hard to obtain and may cost thousands to buy.However,'Seek and ye shall find' and you will need to read between the lines on that phrase.
Woe if I reveal,Woe if I do not reveal...

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote:I agree with blindwake, maybe you would like Franz Bardon's trilogy, starting with Initiation into Hermetics. It's pretty difficult in my opinion, but it's a serious system of practical training. If you want to be practical, put in hard work, and get results, I recommend that.

Israel Regardie also has a good fundamental training book called the One Year Manual.
I have a small objection to the 'one year manual'. I did not include that in my beginners book list because I think it jumps too far ahead too fast.
It starts out really slow and well and then suddenly it just jumps into some pretty advanced stuff. I don't think that is healthy for all beginners. Some might be able to handle it, but some might just end up in the deep end of the pool.

Return to “Beginners Info”