Sabbatianism

Shemuel Ben Sabbatai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Sabbatianism

Post by Shemuel Ben Sabbatai »

I am a Sabbatian. A Sabbatian is someone who believes in the Jewish “false”-messiah Sabbatai Tzvi, and sometimes, the controversial figure of Jacob Frank. Sabbatianism has it’s roots in Kabbalah, a Jewish mystical tradition dating back centuries. What distinguished Sabbatianism from normal kabbalistic Judaism was the Idea that the Jewish law, could and would be destroyed.

BEcause of it’s close relation with Kabbalah, it developed many interesting mystical, occult teachings, such as the thoughtless and thoughtful lights of EYN SOF. It would be interesting to hear your opinions on this branch of Kabbalah. :) there is a lot of misinformation about it. Mostly coming from conspiracy nuts.
“Is it true that Mashiach [the Messiah] will come in a generation that is either wholly good or wholly evil?”
“Yes.”
“Then which direction should we take?”
“The Evil Inclination is the Mother of the King; but Holiness will be the first to greet Him when He rises from the dust.”
-Jacob Frank

skekz0k
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Sabbatianism

Post by skekz0k »

I've never heard of this religion but it sounds interesting. The Wikipedia article make it sound as though the religion is no longer practiced. How long have you been a Sabbatian? Is it something in your family or something you began to practice later in life?

Are there any Sabbatian texts that you would point an inquiring mind towards? I've only just begun my study of the Qaballah, so I won't be much help in commenting on that.

Shemuel Ben Sabbatai
Forum Member
Forum Member

skekz0k wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 7:41 am I've never heard of this religion but it sounds interesting. The Wikipedia article make it sound as though the religion is no longer practiced. How long have you been a Sabbatian? Is it something in your family or something you began to practice later in life?

Are there any Sabbatian texts that you would point an inquiring mind towards? I've only just begun my study of the Qaballah, so I won't be much help in commenting on that.
So it’s not easy to count how many sabbatians there are, a central idea in the religion is “holy apostasy”, moving from Judaism to another religions while still privately practicing the faith, this doesn’t make it easy to find them. If I had to estimate how many of us there is, i would say like, 10,000? Not a lot though.

I was born a Christian but i became very interested in Kabbalah, specifically the Kabbalah of Rabbi Isaac Luria, which happened to be related to Sabbatianism, so Kabbalah kind of led me here.

The only Sabbatian text easily available is “the words of the lord Jacob frank”, it has some pretty cool stuff in it. I honestly think non sabbatians should study it as there are a lot of kabbalistic ideas hidden in it.

Also, if you’re new to kabbalah i would check out the YouTube channel “the nemeton”, he has some pretty cool stuff there. :)
“Is it true that Mashiach [the Messiah] will come in a generation that is either wholly good or wholly evil?”
“Yes.”
“The Evil Inclination is the Mother of the King; but Holiness will be the first to greet Him when He rises from the dust.”
-Jacob Frank

skekz0k
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by skekz0k »

Shemuel Ben Sabbatai wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:44 pm So it’s not easy to count how many sabbatians there are, a central idea in the religion is “holy apostasy”, moving from Judaism to another religions while still privately practicing the faith, this doesn’t make it easy to find them. If I had to estimate how many of us there is, i would say like, 10,000? Not a lot though.

I was born a Christian but i became very interested in Kabbalah, specifically the Kabbalah of Rabbi Isaac Luria, which happened to be related to Sabbatianism, so Kabbalah kind of led me here.

The only Sabbatian text easily available is “the words of the lord Jacob frank”, it has some pretty cool stuff in it. I honestly think non sabbatians should study it as there are a lot of kabbalistic ideas hidden in it.

Also, if you’re new to kabbalah i would check out the YouTube channel “the nemeton”, he has some pretty cool stuff there. :)
Interesting!

So you learned of sabbationism through your study of the Kabbalah? It seems, based on the introduction of The Words of Jacob Frank that he led a storied life. Thank you for sharing this, I certainly would have never stumbled upon it otherwise.

I must ask, do sabbatians have any form of organizing? Do you have any contact with other sabbatians on a regular basis?

Thanks for sharing! I will check out the nemeton youtube channel.

Shemuel Ben Sabbatai
Forum Member
Forum Member

We don’t really have any way of organizing, there have been Sabbatian websites but all of them are down now. I know a few other Sabbatians, they’re all really chill and nice people.

Anyway yeah, The Nemeton has some really high quality and well edited videos on Kabbalah, he also has a few videos on Alchemy and the occult in general.

Have a great day!
“Yes.”
-Jacob Frank

kiren
Admin
Admin

Post by kiren »

Invite them here, if yall need it maybe we can carve you out a subforum. This is EVERYONES place to organize.

Raksju
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Raksju »

Shemuel Ben Sabbatai wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:51 am We don’t really have any way of organizing, there have been Sabbatian websites but all of them are down now. I know a few other Sabbatians, they’re all really chill and nice people.

Anyway yeah, The Nemeton has some really high quality and well edited videos on Kabbalah, he also has a few videos on Alchemy and the occult in general.

Have a great day!

Thank you very much for this post kind sir!
i was looking for some good video's on this :D

ReggieHopkins
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ReggieHopkins »

The legendary Yiddish author Issac Bashevis Singer also referenced Sabbatai Tzvi in "Satan IN GORAY" , that was published in 1935 in Poland in installments. If I'm not mistaken there were also some short stories by Singer in a humorous vein mentioning Tzvi too. Singer used the 'Bashevis' name because his mother was named Bathsheba. Singer described being confounded by his first trip to a cafeteria in the United States. He sat down to the spectacle of what he thought to be an endless procession of waiters walking by, but none offering him any ministration. One of his most famous writings was the 1953 short entitled "GIMPEL THE FOOL". In that work the simple baker Gimpel's better half could be attained easily by any skirt chasing, tail kicking, guitar picking, pool hustling, Old Chug-a-lug-a-lugging bar room buddy. Both "GIMPEL THE FOOL" & "SATAN IN GORAY" can be read for free via PDF by any so clever as to employ an internet search. "SATAN IN GORAY" can also be accessed through Archive[dot]org. On Youtube they have interesting Issac Bashevis Singer documentary material.

Glad to hear from you Shemuel Ben Sabbatai!
Nine-tenths of tactics are certain , & taught in books: but the irrational tenth is like the Kingfisher flashing across the pool,
and that is the test of generals-- T.E Lawrence in "THE SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM"

Return to “Religous superstitions, Folk traditions and Lores”