Speculation? What is Christianity... What is religion?

Religious rules and laws, structures and ontologies.

Tundrawolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Speculation? What is Christianity... What is religion?

Post by Tundrawolf »

Hi,

I was raised Christian. Recently I have begun to explore that there is knowledge that is relevant to humanity that does not exist within the commonly accepted Bible, "Canon" if you will.

So what, exactly, is religion... Is a system of control of people? Well, yes... But...

We all know our lives will end here, nobody "lives forever" as a frail, fragile human being on earth in this timeline.

Some of us are aware that there are innumerable entities created for the entertainment of the universe, to alleviate its boredom (in my opinion).

However, these entities, realities, dynamics, worlds, realms and universes remain outside of quantifiable understanding within our limited human realm.

What if, perhaps, religion was an agreement with the spiritual, that while we do not fully understand the ethereal dynamics of "other", we can agree on various levels of subjugation- with the reward being salvation- and threat of unspeakable horror if we do not acquiesce (And create stable societal norms, families, dynamics... As we are all prone to selfish self destruction)

It has occurred to me that various religions are just a way to keep flawed mortal man in line, with a bare-bones understanding of "See through a glass darkly" understanding of spiritual realms, wherein we can make "safe" places of living, embracing a dynamic of "love" that does not come naturally (As we struggle to survive in a realm where we are always in danger).

I have spent a lot of time in churches, conversing with other Christians, and it seems as if "outside canon" knowledge is forbidden, we are corralled into a basic understanding of good and evil, of salvation and damnation. How can we intellectually remain in such ignorance? I guess it is acceptable to most.

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Speculation? What is Christianity... What is religion?

Post by Amor »

>these entities, realities, dynamics, worlds, realms and universes remain outside of quantifiable understanding within our limited human realm.

Is that a taught belief?

The concept of a science of spiritual dimensions is known in many cultures. Consider for example the kabbalistic practice of Rising on the Planes and the tradition of immortal Daoists and Alchemists.

>we can agree on various levels of subjugation- with the reward being salvation- and threat of unspeakable horror if we do not acquiesce

Not all religions would agree with such assumptions, e.g. Buddhism

>various religions are just a way to keep flawed mortal man in line

This is common for religions invented by humans and some other groups/species

>a basic understanding of good and evil

Good and evil seem to me to be a simplification. Consider the simultaneous flows of the cosmic out-breath to matter and the in-breath to spirit, returning experience to the Source. The concept of Tzimtzum relates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzimtzum

In a somewhat Christian context the outbreath/inbreath can be called "the revelation of the Word"

Perhaps evil arises only when an intelligence works with the wrong flow or does not balance the flows according to their stage of lifecycle.

For example, a human that does not take enough dark energy (self time) to rebuild the body and personality wiill often burn out. Mothers are prone to this. Hence the saying: When baby sleeps, mother sleeps.

ArchangelIdiotis
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ArchangelIdiotis »

I think of Christianity as a diverse variety of religious traditions that thinks of Jesus as God and worships him.

I consider religion the product of that humanity experiences a generalized sense of love for other than friends/family, for society, and objects (such as objects of nature, plants and dirt and animal life), and even ideas, and that because of this sensation beliefs evolve to explain these feelings, and even to utilize these feelings for sake of personal evolution (in some instances).

Religion is a mechanism of social control when persons with a bird's eye view - about how society thinks and how the individual is conditioned by hir spirituality - decide to manufacture a belief system, or modify an existing belief system, to influence public behavior.
-Archangel Idiotis, leader of an ostrich cult.

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

ArchangelIdiotis wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:01 am I think of Christianity as a diverse variety of religious traditions that thinks of Jesus as God and worships him.
Years ago I stayed at the abbey on Iona. In their library I read a book of sermons by an early Christian. In one sermon Jesus was a prophet and not a/the son of god.

Christianity was changed later

WildWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WildWolf »

Christianity only feels static in the present......if you go back in history....Christianity has taken on so many different styles and approaches. That being said....stagnation is a very easy state to fall within....its only the rustling of the centuries that gradually shake up and stir the bones of such ossified systems. The youth play an important role as well....the wild flames of youth can shift old systems and create new ones.

What is religion? In old school Shamanic systems, the Shaman was a kind of intermediary for the tribe, so you know not to piss in the sacred lake, otherwise the Fae might go ape shit and seek vengeance. A kind spiritual spiritual mediator.

The Church in some sense, aspires to that role....an entire monolithic institution, that is meant to be an intermediary between you and the Heavenly Father. That being said....systems...over time....get twisted and corrupted. Your better off pursuing your own personal connection with Jesus (if you feel it is of import) than seeking the assistance of a pedophile ring.

Furthermore, Gnostic texts are a lot of fun to read. They can give a different angle of Christian origins.

Return to “Theologies”