Shinto Mysticism

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Shinto Mysticism

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: OrcusDeUpilio

I am curious about Shinto Mysticism because of a little reading/ references to it in many other things I have read and seen. Any info would be great.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Shinto Mysticism

Original post: Dracophoenix

I'm Shinto but I don't do most of the traditional rituals. However there are different kami to call on and talk to. My method is simply ask the kami to appear when they have the time because I really would like to talk to them. I find this to work best when talking and calling on any diety, kami, entity, laos etc. 100% of the time it works best for me. It's a lie that you need rituals. When they appear I leave libations of sake and food for them and thank them for their time and for appearing. I treat them as I would any guest comingin to my house and talk to them. I listen very carefully to what they have to say. The kami of occultism and healing and health is O-Kuni-Nichi. Call on him and ask what ever you want to know about Shinto occultism/mysticism. Listen carefully to what he has to say. There is no need for doing any kind of ritual to have him appear. Just leave him something to eat and drink If it's not something you like to eat and drink then you don't offer it to the kami.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Shinto Mysticism

Original post: Vindictus

[QUOTE=Dracophoenix;192768] My method is simply ask the kami to appear when they have the time because I really would like to talk to them. I find this to work best when talking and calling on any deity, kami, entity, Laos etc. 100% of the time it works best for me. It's a lie that you need rituals. [/QUOTE]

I realize that this isn't discussing invocation/evocation, but in my opinion the difference between a formal ritual and simply inviting a spirit in is the same as sending invitations for a formal dinner or just calling a couple friends over to blow some time with... If you're friends with whoever you're inviting over then you don't need to bother with the nicessities [though a bag of chips/offering is appreciated], but if you're trying to curry favor with someone in power, then the formal invitation and dinner party are a must.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Shinto Mysticism

Post by Asurendra »

An interesting book that touches on this subject is The Spiritual Foundations of Akido by William Gleason.
I think of the Kami as the overarching organizing Devas of Nature. They hold the 'patterns' of things translate the primordial energy into our holographic world (out through the Elementals). I think they are tied to the earth and specific functions, unlike Celestial Devas. But, this is all my personal speculation.

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

I really like the comments by Vindictus and strongly agree. Formalized ritual has several truly important roles. The first is to provide the practitioner with grounded energy to connect with the INTENDED energetic force. The second is that formalized rituals usually include a protective element, which is more important then many think. Another is that ritual sets a tone for the dialogue with the diety/energetic force. This can often assist in a focused interaction. I would admonish you to show healthy respect to these energies. A Tengu, while offering excellent growth opportunities, might be particularly sensitive to being shown the courtesy of ritual. These energies are very old and have interacted with better than you or I. Research some Shugendo techs. They've assisted me in developing nice relationships with what I've perceived to be at least one senior Tengu. This interaction has been pleasurable and highly instructive.If you want to be informal, you might want to cultivate the attention of a single powerful energy before you go inviting stranger entities into your life. Energies can fuck your ass up on a whim. I've been thrown through the air and body slammed for what many would consider small things. I've introduced apprentices to energies that have not treated them as gently as they have treated me. It is my great fortune to have cultivated the kind attention of the Roman Gods Mars. Diana and Jupiter among others. The wise Diana and mighty Mars keep me safe, so I can fuck around a bit. I've interacted with Asian energies for some years now and can tell you that they are not to be trifled with. I've been doing this for a while and have seriously studied this stuff for decades. Trust my words! LEARN AND GWOW!

riot proof
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by riot proof »

I like both answers to this, and here is why:

We know how we show someone respect. When working with kami, respect is important.

If I were the sort to invite someone over for a formal multi-course dinner with all the decorative trappings of napkin holders and extra dishes for each part of the meal, then on inviting a god into my home, I would use much the same approach. To do less for a god than a respected guest would be quite rude. My invitation would likely come with hours of care and preparation, and it would be understood.

As it is, I am very informal in my life, and any divinity that wants to give me their time knows this. In this case I would be dishonest of me to go though all manner of fussy ritual for them. Since I speak openly and from the heart with my valued friends, to offer a kami less than I offer those I care about would be very rude of me.

If I am making offerings of any kind, I will first consider whether or not it is of a quality I would offer to a treasured friend first. I suspect even were I to ask a tengu to work with me, to offer my time genuinely would be preferred to offering my time with high formality that does not fit me. They already know who I am and if they want to answer me or not, so there is little point in me trying to be something they know I am not.

manonthepath
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by manonthepath »

riot proof wrote:I like both answers to this, and here is why:

We know how we show someone respect. When working with kami, respect is important.

If I were the sort to invite someone over for a formal multi-course dinner with all the decorative trappings of napkin holders and extra dishes for each part of the meal, then on inviting a god into my home, I would use much the same approach. To do less for a god than a respected guest would be quite rude. My invitation would likely come with hours of care and preparation, and it would be understood.

As it is, I am very informal in my life, and any divinity that wants to give me their time knows this. In this case I would be dishonest of me to go though all manner of fussy ritual for them. Since I speak openly and from the heart with my valued friends, to offer a kami less than I offer those I care about would be very rude of me.

If I am making offerings of any kind, I will first consider whether or not it is of a quality I would offer to a treasured friend first. I suspect even were I to ask a tengu to work with me, to offer my time genuinely would be preferred to offering my time with high formality that does not fit me. They already know who I am and if they want to answer me or not, so there is little point in me trying to be something they know I am not.
Don't say nobody warned you.

riot proof
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by riot proof »

I am indeed warned.

I seem to recall the karasu-tengu being rather sensitive on false piety and humility no matter how formally these are offered. If I were to invite one in, I had better be honest in all aspects.

And as I said, they know who I am, and thy know if they want to accept an invitation or not.

Return to “South East Asian Faiths”